new kitten

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat tree in the kitchen area so there’s a perch for them. Also, and this may be a somewhat unpopular item, scat mats do work (lowest setting is sufficient). My 1 year old just got introduced to one on my kitchen table after she unpotted an entire plant and about mauled it to death in the night. Now she’s no longer allowed on the table lol.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
💜He is adorable! I love his dark little nose! 💜

With kittens sometimes taking lots of short 10-30 second long videos works better than trying to get them to pose. I have used wand toys & even treats to get cats to look at the phone. 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
💜He is adorable! I love his dark little nose! 💜

With kittens sometimes taking lots of short 10-30 second long videos works better than trying to get them to pose. I have used wand toys & even treats to get cats to look at the phone. 🤣
thank you I got him from one of my cousins , I got pick of the litter since I am family

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can’t force your family members or loved ones to do the right thing (like arrange for the mom cat to be spayed.... at one of the many low cost spay/neuter clinics.) All you can do is love your kitten & keep mentioning spay/neuter low cost clinics. Also I believe a cat’s chances for breast cancer are higher if she keeps going into heat. Plus intact tom cats get into a lot of fights & roam more.

I had to insist & pay 1/2 the vet bill to convince my mom to get her garage cat tested for fiv & vaccinated. I used him infecting my cats as an excuse. Our vet refused to return him unless he was neutered that day. She gave us the feral cat neutering price. To bad he wasn’t neutered before his nose got all screwed up in an injury! (Chester is a reformed feral she started feeding in the garage. Now that he is senior he sleeps inside through most of the day.... he still paroles his block a couple times each night & refuses to use a litter box.)
⭐Because Chester was mainly an outside cat the vet was going to euthanize him if he was fiv positive; so he wouldn’t infect other cats. ⭐Since getting Chester neutered almost 9? 10? Years ago Chester has only gotten one injury...... an abscess on his ear.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman of course you are absolutely right about the cancer risk for unspayed female cats and the risks of injuries to unneutered male cats, in addition to the monumental, senseless and completely avoidable global tragedy of feline overpopulation that it is up to every one of us who cares to mitigate however, whenever and wherever we are able.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kittens are going through that stage. I've only had them for a few weeks and they are just exploring. I lift them off the counter or remove them from any other uwanted place, then I distract them with a toy. It is just natural. Please don't give up your kitten, be patient. I have tons of toys and a cat tree but I also have 2 dogs that they are trying to get used to. It takes some time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kittens are going through that stage. I've only had them for a few weeks and they are just exploring. I lift them off the counter or remove them from any other uwanted place, then I distract them with a toy. It is just natural. Please don't give up your kitten, be patient. I have tons of toys and a cat tree but I also have 2 dogs that they are trying to get used to. It takes some time.
I have tin foil on the stove but that does not seem to keep him off now I take him off and play with him , hubby does not seem to understand kitties needs more toys

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tin foil on the stove but that does not seem to keep him off now I take him off and play with him , hubby does not seem to understand kitties needs more toys
Toys can easily be made, though, from ordinary things. Crinkle up a piece of paper and throw this ball on hard surface floors. It makes a noise like a mouse scurrying. Endless fun! A string can be a snake (NEVER leave it out when done playing, though, and always be on the other end of it!). A foil ball, similar to a paper ball. These are just a few things. Fill an old sock with dried catnip and/or silvervine and knot it at the open end. And endless source of joy for a kitten!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby isn't much of a cat guy either but he puts up with me, lol. What about trying some kind of a motion sensor device? I haven't tried them but I did read about them. Like setting up a booby trap. It startles them and deters them from the behavior.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex made a very nice cactus (CATcus?) cat tree for the catio in the Mojave. It would have been improved upon if he had not changed his mind about everything.

View attachment 392206
That's wonderful! Trying to get my husband to do stuff like that is like trying to get blood out of a stone. The one I do have is pretty good though. My daughter gave it to me, her cats never used it. The kittens like it though. I've been making more toys for them, they get bored so easily.