new kitten

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! Trying to get my husband to do stuff like that is like trying to get blood out of a stone. The one I do have is pretty good though. My daughter gave it to me, her cats never used it. The kittens like it though. I've been making more toys for them, they get bored so easily.
Well, my ex was a finish carpenter for years, and he enjoyed building and making things very much. He had all the tools necessary. I learned a tremendous amount from him and helped him with putting up a fence and gate, building several modular cat feeding/sleeping stations and a stand-alone cat recovery station for neighborhood community cats who were either injured and recovering or had been spayed/neutered and needed a little R&R, building the catio and doing work in the stables/barn compound. It would have been absolutely wonderful had he decided to stay!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that things didn't work out...it sounds like you did get a lot accomplished together. Do you have a rescue in operation now?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and for this bad experience. Just like with the human-specific "health care" industry, veterinary practices have turned into businesses primarily, rather than the caring services they were intended to be. It's not to say there aren't caring doctors of every kind; but more and more, money is the bottom line. It is reprehensible in my opinion that when we are at our most emotional and vulnerable, there are those willing to take advantage of it.
Unfortunately, that's the truth.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that things didn't work out...it sounds like you did get a lot accomplished together. Do you have a rescue in operation now?
No, unfortunately, time, finances and circumstances have resulted in a lot of changes for me. But Baby Su and Elvis are the lights of my life! and they and my roomies and I have a better life than most, I'd say. Fortunately the city we live in now has TNR as municipal policy, thanks to amazing advocates I do not know, but am forever grateful to.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your heart is in the right place. What does TNR stand for? My sister lives in a small town here in Alberta that is overrun by stray cats. Nobody seems to care. It is heartbreaking. She makes those little shelters for them outside and takes a few in on occasion but the city does nothing. I always get my animals from the AARCS (Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society) in Calgary. They do such great work there rescuing many animals from the reserves.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Toys can easily be made, though, from ordinary things. Crinkle up a piece of paper and throw this ball on hard surface floors. It makes a noise like a mouse scurrying. Endless fun! A string can be a snake (NEVER leave it out when done playing, though, and always be on the other end of it!). A foil ball, similar to a paper ball. These are just a few things. Fill an old sock with dried catnip and/or silvervine and knot it at the open end. And endless source of joy for a kitten!
I use an old shoe lace thank you

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
instead of water I take him off the stove say No and distract him with a wand toy , I need more wand toys
You can easily make a good wand toy with a stick or piece of plastic, some string, and a small paper ball or foil ball or other small, very light weight lure. They will be just as interesting to him as the ones from the store.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your heart is in the right place. What does TNR stand for? My sister lives in a small town here in Alberta that is overrun by stray cats. Nobody seems to care. It is heartbreaking. She makes those little shelters for them outside and takes a few in on occasion but the city does nothing. I always get my animals from the AARCS (Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society) in Calgary. They do such great work there rescuing many animals from the reserves.
alleycat.org and bestfriends.org are great sources of information, and help for and about free-roaming cats. TNR=trap/neuter/return. Since truly feral cats are not socialized to humans, adult ferals are most often returned to their home site IF it is safe. Ferals do subsist on their natural prey, which is mostly small rodents; some experts advocate against feeding truly feral cats, for their own safety, while others believe it is inhumane not to feed them. This is an argument I will leave up to each individual to weigh in on. TNR programs are the proven successful and humane way of controlling outdoor cat populations, and should be implemented everywhere. Please let your sister know of these websites and strongly suggest she become involved in efforts to TNR in her community.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
alleycat.org and bestfriends.org are great sources of information, and help for and about free-roaming cats. TNR=trap/neuter/return. Since truly feral cats are not socialized to humans, adult ferals are most often returned to their home site IF it is safe. Ferals do subsist on their natural prey, which is mostly small rodents; some experts advocate against feeding truly feral cats, for their own safety, while others believe it is inhumane not to feed them. This is an argument I will leave up to each individual to weigh in on. TNR programs are the proven successful and humane way of controlling outdoor cat populations, and should be implemented everywhere. Please let your sister know of these websites and strongly suggest she become involved in efforts to TNR in her community.
Thanks so much for that information. I will pass it on to my sister.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can easily make a good wand toy with a stick or piece of plastic, some string, and a small paper ball or foil ball or other small, very light weight lure. They will be just as interesting to him as the ones from the store.
yes thank you
We are still thinking of I cat tree my husband thinks he may not use it , I think he will

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We are still thinking of I cat tree my husband thinks he may not use it , I think he will
I agree with you, not your husband, I think he will use a cat tree too. :agree: I've never had a cat that didn't use their cat tree especially if it's in front of a window. I think you mentioned living in a basement suite so if you don't have a window you can put some of his favorite toys in the cat tree.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, not your husband, I think he will use a cat tree too. :agree: I've never had a cat that didn't use their cat tree especially if it's in front of a window. I think you mentioned living in a basement suite so if you don't have a window you can put some of his favorite toys in the cat tree.
We had a big living room window so I know he will enjoy as well as climbing

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 year old cat that loves to jump from the table to the microwave to the fridge and finally on top of the cabinets. I tell her to get down, sometimes she does sometimes she just looks at me and doesn’t move. I just let her alone because I know she will get back down when she’s ready. I have heard aluminum foil on your counter will keep kitty off. Never had problems with my cat getting on the counter tops

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 year old cat that loves to jump from the table to the microwave to the fridge and finally on top of the cabinets. I tell her to get down, sometimes she does sometimes she just looks at me and doesn’t move. I just let her alone because I know she will get back down when she’s ready. I have heard aluminum foil on your counter will keep kitty off. Never had problems with my cat getting on the counter tops
tin foil does not seem to bother him I only want him off the stove

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tin foil does not seem to bother him I only want him off the stove
I have never met a cat who doesn't love a cat tree. Kittens, especially, love to climb, and it's such good exercise for their growing muscles!
I do know that cats hate the smell of citrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit) so you might try putting a bowl of fruit on the stove? A strange idea but it might work?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens haven't figured out how to get onto the stove yet but they do jump up on my island. I just keep putting them down at the moment and remove them from the room. Distract, distract, distract. They do absolutely love their cat tree by the window upstairs, and I hang homemade toys on it for them to play with. I cut paper towel rolls at the ends and hang them with string, washed potato chip bags cut into stips and taped to the end of a paper towel roll, string bag handles tied in a bunch with a long string attached hung from the door handle...stuff like that. I switch them up so that they don't get bored. Get the cat tree. :hyper::)