new kitten

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi every one I have a new 4 month old kitten . Last night he kept me up til 4 am jumping on stove and counter several times I kept taking him off and saying no and or spraying with water ,What else could I try , he has plenty of toys and boxes

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi every one I have a new 4 month old kitten . Last night he kept me up til 4 am jumping on stove and counter several times I kept taking him off and saying no and or spraying with water ,What else could I try , he has plenty of toys and boxes
Hello J Java Lady and sweet kitten! Well, your kitten is active and very healthy, it sounds like, and it's very normal for kittens to be very active, especially at dawn and dusk and afterwards! INTERACTIVE play with a wand toy, such as da Bird or Cat Dancer, widely available wherever cat supplies are sold, online or at stores, is what kittens crave and you can give your kitten a play session for about 10-15 minutes right before bed! Ideally, several play sessions a day would be preferable. Another good thing would be to adopt a playmate for him. Kittens are usually very social, because most kittens have siblings. They play together, learn about life together, cuddle and sleep together. And two kittens *and cats* will provide companionship for one another when you have to go out to work or whatever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention I gave him a calming treat around 3 pm , also how to stop him from getting on counter thank you for your advice. I made a wand toy from an old wand and crinkle ribbon.

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for your advice I made a wand toy from an old wand and crinkle ribbon
That's great! Simple and homemade toys are often the favorites of cats and kittens.
Counters? I really don't have a problem with this. Elvis used to cruise the counters but he has not for awhile. I didn't mind it when he did; I just wiped down the counter after he jumped down. But apart from that, just a gentle, "No no!" might work. And you might gently nudge him off with your hand.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have several small and large balls a home made wand a crinkle stuffy a big rat a scratching place 2 boxes and has 2 bed, he is now getting up om the counters and sink , should I give him up or

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought not finished. Assume there is a lot more to it than him jumping up on the counters and sink which 98% of kittens do!
he jumping on table which is fine , I am trying hard . should I give hime more time to surrender him

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are full of energy and like to explore their environment, that's what they do as the above member explained. It will take time for both of you to adjust so please be patient. In the meantime, I thought this Article about kitten proofing your home would have a lot of helpful tips and advice: Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
Please read through it and particularly note #13.

Regarding editing - TCS rules require you be a member for a minimum of five days and have at least 20 posts before you can edit on the site.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok thanks for the advise I will suggest what you said

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok thanks for the advise I will suggest what you said
Just remember to be soft and gentle with cats always. NEVER hit them and NEVER yell at them. NEVER be angry with them. They are more sensitive than humans, and very intelligent. They deserve our respect, protection, and love.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please make sure the blind cords are tied up so kitty can't get to them or better yet, switch to cordless blinds. Cats can get tangled up in Venetian blind cords with disastrous results.
we are renting therefore we can not change the blinds thank you

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still don't understand. Why are you considering surrendering the kitten?
My husband thinks its too much for us but I am not giving up.

Thank you all for your help
I had an older cat before and he passed in Oct 31 2020 , so still missing him too,. he was our sidekick passed from kidney disease

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens and cats sometimes jump on countertops and sinks - some do it a lot - it''s just part of their nature. Some can be trained out of it some can't. One of mine has started to sleep beside my toaster and there doesn't seem to be much I can do as she is incredibly mischievous!

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my kitten too mischievous!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you Tara I will remember this
Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy, host of Animal Planet series "MY CAT FROM HELL", many YouTube videos, author and co-author of several excellent books, social media star, and consulting expert, has many wonderful instructional media you can look at, too, for wonderful information on just about anything you can imagine in the way of cat matters. And don't forget the many great topics right here on TCS; click on the site's title up top, and it will take you to topics you can click on for more information, such as KITTENS!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if kitty keeps climbing on stuff, he may want a higher platform to spy on all the activities going on. Perhaps you could get him a cat tree with a nice, high platform, a "hidey hole" and maybe a dangling toy. That may take care of some of his tendency to get on the counters (but it probably won't take care of it entirely). If he likes looking out the windows, maybe one of those suction-cup cat perches would help (yes, they're safe and don't fall off the window).

Last edited: