new kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
+Ie am thinking of a cat tree should I buy new or used , I can spend up to 50.00 , I want one 4ft - 6 ft tall , and how will I know if my kitty will use it that our fear my husband says he can try to make one and how would I encourage kitty to use it put cat nip on it

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
+Ie am thinking of a cat tree should I buy new or used , I can spend up to 50.00 , I want one 4ft - 6 ft tall , and how will I know if my kitty will use it that our fear my husband says he can try to make one and how would I encourage kitty to use it put cat nip on it
If possible, I would buy new as it is nice and clean. I would get the tallest one you can, with the most plaforms or cubbies. Your kitten won't have to be encouraged to use it. He will LOVE it. But yes, sweetening it with catnip is nice. I do this weekly.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon sales “Clear stove knob covers” that will protect your cat from turning your stove on when they jump up there. When I moved into my new apartment (for a couple of weeks) I would place an empty cardboard box on top of stove top to block it off (after the burners cooled completely.) I used it to block off my kittens access while I slept. If I had known I would have got the clear stove top knob covers..... cats will really injure themselves on it!

Chewy & Amazon sals Ssscat.

I have found that if I kill the fly of moth, he will stay away from my stove/refrigerator..... nothing will keep him away from the sink. Using a fly swatter or spraying the fly with windex to down it so I can kill it works great. I also have a fancy fly killing machine. Maybe removing the reason he wants to be on your stove will help?

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was leaning to new for the same reason cause the cat may have has a contagious sickness
my husband says we could put on a sturdy coffee table to set it on to make it taller

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy him a 6 foot cat tree & later buy or make large/long shelves on your living room wall that your cat can use to get all the way up to your ceiling. If the sleeves are installed correctly & can support at least 40 pounds, they will be safe for a cat ...... or two.

You can google “cat super highway Jackson Galaxy” to get more information. If I was handy; I would do it for my jungle kitty.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to Chewy & search for “Frisco 48-in” you will find a 48 inch tall cat tree for $54 (plus tax.)

I would still search for the best deal & maybe save up for a couple of months & get the taller cat tree for 74-100 dollars. I hear you. I used my stimulus check to buy my cat his super tall cat tree & his hammock.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amazon sales “Clear stove knob covers” that will protect your cat from turning your stove on when they jump up there. When I moved into my new apartment (for a couple of weeks) I would place an empty cardboard box on top of stove top to block it off (after the burners cooled completely.) I used it to block off my kittens access while I slept. If I had known I would have got the clear stove top knob covers..... cats will really injure themselves on it!

Chewy & Amazon sals Ssscat.

I have found that if I kill the fly of moth, he will stay away from my stove/refrigerator..... nothing will keep him away from the sink. Using a fly swatter or spraying the fly with windex to down it so I can kill it works great. I also have a fancy fly killing machine. Maybe removing the reason he wants to be on your stove will help?
I find he jumps on counter and walks across the stove to the other counter to the sink

my husband suggested a book shelf to use as a tree

good idea on the box for the stove

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you go to Chewy & search for “Frisco 48-in” you will find a 48 inch tall cat tree for $54 (plus tax.)

I would still search for the best deal & maybe save up for a couple of months & get the taller cat tree for 74-100 dollars. I hear you. I used my stimulus check to buy my cat his super tall cat tree & his hammock.
good Idea for now I use what I have
My birthday is coming up so maybe we can combine our money and get a more larger one

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good Idea for now I use what I have
My birthday is coming up so maybe we can combine our money and get a more larger one
I would NOT suggest putting things on top of other things to make a cat climbing place. Things can fall over and might hurt your cat, you, or things in your apartment. And I would not put anything on top of a stove, for the same reason, and the fact that things can burn and start a fire. Please be very careful!

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would NOT suggest putting things on top of other things to make a cat climbing place. Things can fall over and might hurt your cat, you, or things in your apartment. And I would not put anything on top of a stove, for the same reason, and the fact that things can burn and start a fire. Please be very careful!
I thought about this and no I will not do this and hubby is buying me a new cat tree for my birthday , there is nothing on our stove I just have to to consistant while I am awake and gently but firm off I hope to get some kitty safe thinks to make another wand like feathers or leatherstrips or bells

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I know about the baby proofing knob covers I would use those if my cat was still jumping onto my stove. I didn’t recommend the empty box idea. I did recommend the baby proofing. I have known some cats that will even try to still cooking food out of a pan! It is why I keep telling Java Lady she needs to baby proof her stove top.

Kittens require more baby proofing as they test their boundaries with their high energy levels. Some cats require baby proofing their entire lives. Be very glad your cat doesn’t know how to flush the toilet! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the knobs are at the back of stove and you need to push them , I put sticky duct tape across the front of stove so will buy tin foil it helps a little but when I see him go I use the wand toy to distract him , I thin I may make or buy a wand just for the stove area I do not mind him on the table or counters , , Our toilet lid is always closed when its not in use , I have lavendar will that help

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi every one I have a new 4 month old kitten . Last night he kept me up til 4 am jumping on stove and counter several times I kept taking him off and saying no and or spraying with water ,What else could I try , he has plenty of toys and boxes
Well,for kittens this is very common but you may have a hyperactive cat such a Bengal or Siamese cat (these cats never stop playing even if you give them really long play sessions) from my experience I can say that it depends on the cat,I’ve got two cats that have 1 year old and a 5 months kitten
The first big cat is now 1year and 4 months old and he never stopped playing like a dumb (he is a siamese) so I guess that isn’t fixable although long sessions of playtime are given to the cat
The other big cat is way to calmed,however when she was a kitten she was worse than earthquake (she never stopped playing like crazy until she was 7 months old)
Sometimes they stop as they grow up,one tip is playing before dinner time so that your cat can get tired more easily (and of course make this a routine)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the knobs are at the back of stove and you need to push them , I put sticky duct tape across the front of stove so will buy tin foil it helps a little but when I see him go I use the wand toy to distract him , I thin I may make or buy a wand just for the stove area I do not mind him on the table or counters , , Our toilet lid is always closed when its not in use , I have lavendar will that help
You can always put a metal pan or something else that is kitchen-safe on top of your stove. Just make sure it won't shatter if pushed off, and won't catch fire.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will get some tin foil
He has been getting on the stove so I either take him off and say off or I spray with water and say off . .b its a slow process

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well,for kittens this is very common but you may have a hyperactive cat such a Bengal or Siamese cat (these cats never stop playing even if you give them really long play sessions) from my experience I can say that it depends on the cat,I’ve got two cats that have 1 year old and a 5 months kitten
The first big cat is now 1year and 4 months old and he never stopped playing like a dumb (he is a siamese) so I guess that isn’t fixable although long sessions of playtime are given to the cat
The other big cat is way to calmed,however when she was a kitten she was worse than earthquake (she never stopped playing like crazy until she was 7 months old)
Sometimes they stop as they grow up,one tip is playing before dinner time so that your cat can get tired more easily (and of course make this a routine)
my kitten is a Tabby mix , both parents are tabby crosses , he is 4 months today , he was getting up on stove even though I have sticky duct tape on the front I sprinkled cinnamon near on crinkle paper does not faze him , I just went up behind him sprayed him from behind saying off , it took awhile maybe more sessions and hopefully tinfoil will work and getting some more wand toys and cat tree soon too
thank you for your help , our other kitty was not like this

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitten is a Tabby mix , both parents are tabby crosses , he is 4 months today , he was getting up on stove even though I have sticky duct tape on the front I sprinkled cinnamon near on crinkle paper does not faze him , I just went up behind him sprayed him from behind saying off , it took awhile maybe more sessions and hopefully tinfoil will work and getting some more wand toys and cat tree soon too
thank you for your help , our other kitty was not like this
Kittens are full of energy, investigating the world which is new to them, just like small kids. Healthy kittens are very active. Be so happy that your kitten is all of the above! He will grow out of this as he grows up, but hopefully you will enjoy the fact that he is playful!

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens are full of energy, investigating the world which is new to them, just like small kids. Healthy kittens are very active. Be so happy that your kitten is all of the above! He will grow out of this as he grows up, but hopefully you will enjoy the fact that he is playful!
yes he is happy and curious

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante was the hyperest cat I have ever known. He didn’t calm down until he was 7.5 years old! Dante taught me that you have to tire their minds to tire their bodies. Also that outside time is like Ritalin for cats.

My current cat is half siamese. He is a good kitty provided he gets at least 2 hours outside in his harness and a walk or two.... EVERY DAY!!!

So if your kitten turns out to be hyper, try harness time & lots of interactive toys! On rainy or I’m sick days I like to give him a couple of hexabugs to chase with a box or a bag (that has packing or tissue paper, a ball or two with a bell in it or a crinkle ball, one of his many many toys, catnip & maybd another toy for added bonus. I put his surprise box in my handicap shower stall to contain the mess a bit. You can try the box or bag surprise on days when you really need a break from your kittens naughty antics. I even gave him catsafe (paper) Easter grass in his box last Easter.

Java Lady we would love to see pictures of your adorable trouble maker! Take tons of pictures & videos ; they grow up so fast!

Attachments