TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you Vince for all the imput

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi every one I have a new 4 month old kitten . Last night he kept me up til 4 am jumping on stove and counter several times I kept taking him off and saying no and or spraying with water ,What else could I try , he has plenty of toys and boxes

Spraying water doesn't work and actually encourages the bad behavior.

Young kittens have no manners so you need to have tons of patience with them and teach them good manners while discouraging the bad ones. Here are TCS articles to help:

Keep the counters clear of all food and any breakables and dangerous objects like those trendy magnetic knife holders. Leave a bowl of dry food out for the kitten to eat whenever he gets hungry. That may help minimize the counter surfing. Hangry cats will seek out food anywhere to eat. Kittens have little tummies and eat a ton of food. Most people feed a few canned food meals daily and leave a bowl of dry food out for snacking on.

we are renting therefore we can not change the blinds thank you
But you can use Command hooks on the side of the window to wrap the blind cords around. Command hooks are easily removable and renter-friendly.

4 month old kittens are like toddlers. They're always getting into trouble and testing your limits. Kittens are cute and all that but a lot of work. An adult cat may be a better option for your family and lifestyle if an energetic kitten is just too :dizzy: to handle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy, host of Animal Planet series "MY CAT FROM HELL", many YouTube videos, author and co-author of several excellent books, social media star, and consulting expert, has many wonderful instructional media you can look at, too, for wonderful information on just about anything you can imagine in the way of cat matters. And don't forget the many great topics right here on TCS; click on the site's title up top, and it will take you to topics you can click on for more information, such as KITTENS!
Yes I have watched his show and will take your advice on this and will look on this site too thank you so very much

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
As, LTS3 LTS3 stated, spraying water is not a good thing nor is yelling or hitting. You have a health normal energetic kitten and it takes time. Cats actually do understand 'No', but you have to have something to redirect them to and give positive reinforcement. Example: My cat was scratching on my sofa so I put the cat scratcher nearby and when I caught him scratching the wrong thing, I sternly said "No, then directed him to the cat scratcher and gave him my approval 'Good boy!"

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Neko-chan to stay off the counters by putting double sided tape on cheap plastic place mats and putting them on the counters. You could try that, cats don't like the feel of sticky paws. You don't have to use place mats, you could cut cardboard to size and cover it in the tape. If that fails, they have motion activated air cans that will let out a puff of air to scare the cat down, but the cat won't associate you with the puff of air.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can I use this sticky stuff for the window blinds We do not mind him in the windows but mind if he plays with the blinds

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do I redirect play biting, my kitty tried to bite than then I dangled a toy and he stopped
Make sure you never play with him with hands. Always play with a wand-and-lure type toy. Catnip toys and balls are great, but throw them or place them where your kitten will not bite your hands. Keep your hands out of his way. If he does nip you, say "No!" or "Ouch!" in a surprised voice, so that he will learn that this is not pleasant for you. He will learn. Cats are very smart.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's an article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

TCS has lots of articles on a variety of topics that may help answer your questions while you wait for members to respond :)

can I use this sticky stuff for the window blinds We do not mind him in the windows but mind if he plays with the blinds
What is the sticky stuff?

Blinds and the cords are definite dangers to cats. Can you keep the blinds pulled up out of reach and wrap the cord around a Command hook or two? Command hooks attach with an adhseive strip that is easily removed and doesn't damage the surface. I found examples from Google:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

TCS has lots of articles on a variety of topics that may help answer your questions while you wait for members to respond :)
[/URL]

What is the sticky stuff?

Blinds and the cords are definite dangers to cats. Can you keep the blinds pulled up out of reach and wrap the cord around a Command hook or two? Command hooks attach with an adhseive strip that is easily removed and doesn't damage the surface. I found examples from Google:

You don't need any hooks. Just wrap the cords around the outside end of the blinds where they attach to the housing up at the top. It's safer than in these photos, too.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We miss our beloved cats who have ascended! SO MANY up there watching over us. We will reunite in due time.
our beloved Sam had kidney disease and we never knew it until too late and we got taken by a money hungry vet

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our beloved Sam had kidney disease and we never knew it until too late and we got taken by a money hungry vet
I am so sorry for your loss and for this bad experience. Just like with the human-specific "health care" industry, veterinary practices have turned into businesses primarily, rather than the caring services they were intended to be. It's not to say there aren't caring doctors of every kind; but more and more, money is the bottom line. It is reprehensible in my opinion that when we are at our most emotional and vulnerable, there are those willing to take advantage of it.