new kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still don't understand. Why are you considering surrendering the kitten?
my husband thinks he is too much work for us , we live in a basement suite . .Is crate training for night a good idea?

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and for this bad experience. Just like with the human-specific "health care" industry, veterinary practices have turned into businesses primarily, rather than the caring services they were intended to be. It's not to say there aren't caring doctors of every kind; but more and more, money is the bottom line. It is reprehensible in my opinion that when we are at our most emotional and vulnerable, there are those willing to take advantage of it.
thank you we love and miss our Sam its been almost 10 months Have you ever watched Dr Pol on NatGeo or NatGeo wild I wish we had a vet like him in my area , there is a vet clinic in another city that is multi vets and do not charge an arm and a leg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my husband thinks he is too much work for us , we live in a basement suite . .Is crate training for night a good idea?
This is just my opinion, and you may not want to hear it, but give up this kitten now and do not get another. In another week, month or two, the kitten will be climbing the curtains, scratching the couch and adding new problematic behaviors that need training and patience to deal with; patience your husband apparently does not have. So give up this kitten now while it is still very adoptable, and a new home will be easy to find.

This is just what kittens do. You can't crate train a kitten out of being a normal kitten, and it would be very unfair to the kitten to even try. Best thing for the kitten is a home with only committed humans with the patience to train it, and sadly the kitten doesn't have that now. If this was an adult cat, I wouldn't be suggesting this, but with a kitten you can easily find a good home.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's an article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

TCS has lots of articles on a variety of topics that may help answer your questions while you wait for members to respond :)
[/URL]

What is the sticky stuff? double sided tape

Blinds and the cords are definite dangers to cats. Can you keep the blinds pulled up out of reach and wrap the cord around a Command hook or two? Command hooks attach with an adhseive strip that is easily removed and doesn't damage the surface. I found examples from Google:

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is just my opinion, and you may not want to hear it, but give up this kitten now and do not get another. In another week, month or two, the kitten will be climbing the curtains, scratching the couch and adding new problematic behaviors that need training and patience to deal with; patience your husband apparently does not have. So give up this kitten now while it is still very adoptable, and a new home will be easy to find.

This is just what kittens do. You can't crate train a kitten out of being a normal kitten, and it would be very unfair to the kitten to even try. Best thing for the kitten is a home with only committed humans with the patience to train it, and sadly the kitten doesn't have that now. If this was an adult cat, I wouldn't be suggesting this, but with a kitten you can easily find a good home.
We have a scratching place have no curtains but blinds and screens which he can climb thank you for your advice I will thinkabout it

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a scratching place have no curtains but blinds and screens which he can climb thank you for your advice I will thinkabout it
While I don't agree 100% with ArtNJ IF you are willing to commit to your kitten unconditionally, which is what he deserves, and while I hope and pray you and your husband will do this, it does seem from what you write that there are too many conditions. Like a small child, a young kitten is just learning about his world. He is full of healthy energy, investigating and playing with everything, as he should. He will be up at night. He will be playful, noisy, and mischievous, as he should. This is what captivates all of us who love kittens and cats

And sorry to dispel your good thoughts, but Dr. Pol is an attention-seeking, ego-ridden man who declaws cats. Declawing is illegal in 41 more enlightened and compassionate nations and a growing number of communities here, as it should be everywhere, and as a vet, this man knows that it is cruel, mutilating, and often results in lifelong pain and problems for cats.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
While I don't agree 100% with ArtNJ IF you are willing to commit to your kitten unconditionally, which is what he deserves, and while I hope and pray you and your husband will do this, it does seem from what you write that there are too many conditions. Like a small child, a young kitten is just learning about his world. He is full of healthy energy, investigating and playing with everything, as he should. He will be up at night. He will be playful, noisy, and mischievous, as he should. This is what captivates all of us who love kittens and cats

And sorry to dispel your good thoughts, but Dr. Pol is an attention-seeking, ego-ridden man who declaws cats. Declawing is illegal in 41 more enlightened and compassionate nations and a growing number of communities here, as it should be everywhere, and as a vet, this man knows that it is cruel, mutilating, and often results in lifelong pain and problems for cats.
Well said.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

thank you for opening my eyes about Dr Pol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for opening my eyes about Dr Pol
You are welcome. I do not like to give sad or bad news to anyone, especially where animals are concerned and especially cats. But I believe in "the truth will set you free" in terms of knowing facts and making the best decisions for those we love. That man should not be anyone's hero.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And sorry to dispel your good thoughts, but Dr. Pol is an attention-seeking, ego-ridden man who declaws cats.
I'm glad you brought that up since I thought I was the only one who felt that way. If my husband even sees his name on tv he changes the channel immediately. One of the things that bothers me most is that he is rough with the animals, not at all gentle or consoling. :nono:

Back on topic, J Java Lady - basically I think your husband and you need to sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk so that you're both on the same page otherwise one of you will regret your decision. Any pet should be considered an integral family member and as a part of your family you have to be willing to make sacrifices. You have to accept that there will be good days and not so good days. But if you are serious and willing to put forth the effort I guarantee you will have a wonderful and loving relationship with your kitten. :hearthrob:

We have had cats for many, many years and our last cat who is pictured in my avatar was like no other feline we've ever had before. She was extremely mischievous, conniving, rambunctious, somewhat destructive but very intelligent and through it all I found the positive benefits of sharing our home with her. She chose me to cuddle and curl up with at night. Speaking of night, for the first two years she did everything possible to keep us from getting our sleep. There were days my husband would say to me, "when you get home from work that cat is going to be gone." Of course he didn't really mean it and, of course, he grew to love and adore her. Bottom line, nothing is perfect but hopefully the good times outweigh the bad.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you brought that up since I thought I was the only one who felt that way. If my husband even sees his name on tv he changes the channel immediately. One of the things that bothers me most is that he is rough with the animals, not at all gentle or consoling. :nono:

Back on topic, J Java Lady - basically I think your husband and you need to sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk so that you're both on the same page otherwise one of you will regret your decision. Any pet should be considered an integral family member and as a part of your family you have to be willing to make sacrifices. You have to accept that there will be good days and not so good days. But if you are serious and willing to put forth the effort I guarantee you will have a wonderful and loving relationship with your kitten. :hearthrob:

We have had cats for many, many years and our last cat who is pictured in my avatar was like no other feline we've ever had before. She was extremely mischievous, conniving, rambunctious, somewhat destructive but very intelligent and through it all I found the positive benefits of sharing our home with her. She chose me to cuddle and curl up with at night. Speaking of night, for the first two years she did everything possible to keep us from getting our sleep. There were days my husband would say to me, "when you get home from work that cat is going to be gone." Of course he didn't really mean it and, of course, he grew to love and adore her. Bottom line, nothing is perfect but hopefully the good times outweigh the bad.
Oh, no one would ever dare say that to me!
And yes, committing to care for a cat should be for life if at all possible!
I can't stand to see Dr. Pol's face, either, and I always mute him. It's a shame that Animal Planet used to have so many good shows about animals. They're in the minority now, as are good shows on most of the other Discovery channels. They're the equivalent of junk food for the masses now. TLC used to be "The Learning Channel" for example, and there were good shows on there that we COULD learn from! Now it's an endless parade of freak-show rejects.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes I think deep down My husband loves and wants Oreo . we had a good night and day together , he has 2 boxes, a wand toy several big and little balls a crinkle stuffy and big rat and lazer toy . I would like a small cat tree

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I think deep down My husband loves and wants Oreo . we had a good night and day together , he has 2 boxes, a wand toy several big and little balls a crinkle stuffy and big rat and lazer toy . I would like a small cat tree
A cat tree is almost a requirement for a cat and especially for a kitten! And if you are in an apartment, it's good to build up if you can't build out, since cats are natural climbers and many of them love being up high where they can feel safe and observe their environment. The trees are good exercisers for them, too. I hope you can get one!

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A cat tree is almost a requirement for a cat and especially for a kitten! And if you are in an apartment, it's good to build up if you can't build out, since cats are natural climbers and many of them love being up high where they can feel safe and observe their environment. The trees are good exercisers for them, too. I hope you can get one!
we live in a basement suite . I will look around

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But baby proofing knob things so he can’t accidentally turn on the stove! I would buy some ssssssscat motion activated canisters to place on the stove & possibly another one for the counters. You have to place one every _____ so many feet. The baby proofing us needed now so your kitten doesn’t burn himself or accidentally start a fire!

You can try sticky tape on the counters but I would strongly suggest you get the ssscat for the stove.

When you play with him, get him to climb up & down furniture. Direct the wand toy up cat trees & down. Up the couch, then down. Up on the bed, across, some jumping, then down. Getting hyper cats to climb things really helps calm them down! Also can you give your hyper cat a tall (7 foot or 9 foot) cat tree by a window?

For all cats I suggest a cat room; with litter, a bed, food, water & a few toys. When your kitten wakes you up, calmly place them in their room (ora bathroom if you don’t have a room.) Then ignore the cute little bastard as they scream & rattle the door (run a noisy fan or two in your room.) Eventually thd cat learns to let you sleep so they can play quietly. You can have a bad 2-8 weeks or a cat that drives you nuts every night for the cats entire life! So just train your cat to let you sleep! Expect your cat to up their anti with loud meowing & shaking the door until they learn temper tantrums do not work.⭐No matter what do not let them out until your morning alarm goes off. ⭐Stick with your schedule, even during the weekends. Your cat will learn your schedule eventually. Hang in there!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my guy his 7 foot cat tree off chewy. So you can look around for a cat tree on sale. Every cat needs a tall cat tree or two. My guy loves to climb trees when I walk him. He also has a hammock bed but he need the cat tree!
CDD11C70-3701-4497-A843-15185087A343.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my birthday is coming up so hopefully will drop some hints is ok to look on face book market place
An early Happy Birthday to you!
Sometimes there are flash sales on amazon and eBay has some great deals too. A cat-loving blogger friend told me about a flash sale on amazon some years back and I was able to get a nice big activity center for a really good price because of her telling me. It's "Go Pet Club" brand. You put it together yourself, following the diagram enclosed with the unit. They love it! You might also want to "window shop" at hauspanther.com which is a wonderful site run by one of the nicest people on the planet. She features reviews of products worldwide.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But baby proofing knob things so he can’t accidentally turn on the stove! I would buy some ssssssscat motion activated canisters to place on the stove & possibly another one for the counters. You have to place one every _____ so many feet. The baby proofing us needed now so your kitten doesn’t burn himself or accidentally start a fire!

You can try sticky tape on the counters but I would strongly suggest you get the ssscat for the stove.

When you play with him, get him to climb up & down furniture. Direct the wand toy up cat trees & down. Up the couch, then down. Up on the bed, across, some jumping, then down. Getting hyper cats to climb things really helps calm them down! Also can you give your hyper cat a tall (7 foot or 9 foot) cat tree by a window?

For all cats I suggest a cat room; with litter, a bed, food, water & a few toys. When your kitten wakes you up, calmly place them in their room (ora bathroom if you don’t have a room.) Then ignore the cute little bastard as they scream & rattle the door (run a noisy fan or two in your room.) Eventually thd cat learns to let you sleep so they can play quietly. You can have a bad 2-8 weeks or a cat that drives you nuts every night for the cats entire life! So just train your cat to let you sleep! Expect your cat to up their anti with loud meowing & shaking the door until they learn temper tantrums do not work.⭐No matter what do not let them out until your morning alarm goes off. ⭐Stick with your schedule, even during the weekends. Your cat will learn your schedule eventually. Hang in there!
where can I buy ssssssscat motion activated canisters , I will try that and when he tries to go for the living room blinds I do use a wand or laser toy and that is helping I am also trying to get a cat tree too thank you for you much needed advice

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where can I buy ssssssscat motion activated canisters , I will try that and when he tries to go for the living room blinds I do use a wand or laser toy and that is helping I am also trying to get a cat tree too thank you for you much needed advice
Because I don't know your location I can't direct you to real stores, but suggest you google or bing the product name and that will bring up sources to obtain it from.