It's A Beautiful Day! - The Positive Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is a strange one. The start button on our ancient dryer wasn't working properly for about two years. I had to use contact spray and press it 5 or 6 times to turn the dryer on.

All of a sudden it's working fine again. :dunno:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a strange one. The start button on our ancient dryer wasn't working properly for about two years. I had to use contact spray and press it 5 or 6 times to turn the dryer on.

All of a sudden it's working fine again.
Is there a full moon??

I was wondering it this morning..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The day did not start out well, i.e. our washing machine flooded the laundry room floor and we have a plumber coming tomorrow.
Well if that wasn't bad enough I woke up to a broken pipe under the kitchen sink. BUT the plumber came as promised and fixed everything, i.e. the washing machine and replaced the kitchen sink pipe.:yess: Fingers crossed I don't have a new surprise tomorrow since we're in for another night of record low temps. :crossfingers:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a full moon??

I was wondering it this morning..
Are you in an area that is having the cold temps? If so, maybe some part of the
Well if that wasn't bad enough I woke up to a broken pipe under the kitchen sink. BUT the plumber came as promised and fixed everything, i.e. the washing machine and replaced the kitchen sink pipe.:yess: Fingers crossed I don't have a new surprise tomorrow since we're in for another night of record low temps. :crossfingers:
You might want to leave the faucet on so there is just a trickle of water - that will keep the pipe from freezing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to leave the faucet on so there is just a trickle of water - that will keep the pipe from freezing.
Thanks but I had every faucet in the house on a slow drip last night. The temp. was -24 when I woke up and -51 with the windchill. :cold:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks but I had every faucet in the house on a slow drip last night. The temp. was -24 when I woke up and -51 with the windchill. :cold:
If the trickle doesn’t work a couple of other things you could try. Pour antifreeze into the drain when you are done using the water for the night. Buy some foam tape and wrap the pipe. Or do what I did when we had two days of -30 actual temp years ago and my furnace was out for 28 hours. For that period of time every fifteen minutes I ran every faucet in the house. Survived that nightmare without a frozen pipe.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just a beautiful day, It's a gorgeous, wonderful, fantabulous day! We just got Miss Eleanor back from her vet visit, and the blood test was negative for both FIV and FeLV! Now she can mix freely with the rest of our crew, and end her days of roaming the streets.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a work bonus :woohoo: I didn't get one last year at the previous job because the :censored: supervisor denied it. So glad I left that toxic place. I get the bonus in my next paycheck. I guess that New Year's Eve tradition thing of putting a jar of money outside the front door before midnight and bringing it in on New Year's Day does work :D

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a work bonus :woohoo: I didn't get one last year at the previous job because the :censored: supervisor denied it. So glad I left that toxic place. I get the bonus in my next paycheck. I guess that New Year's Eve tradition thing of putting a jar of money outside the front door before midnight and bringing it in on New Year's Day does work :D
Congrats, that’s wonderful!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess that New Year's Eve tradition thing of putting a jar of money outside the front door before midnight and bringing it in on New Year's Day does work :D
I wish I had known about that tradition sooner. ;) Oh well, there's always next year.

Although temps. are slightly warmer today, -10 now instead of -24 yesterday, the sun is shining which always brightens my day. I have a million things I should be doing but if I get motivated enough I might even bake later on.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I can't even imagine living in places where it is this cold. Whatever made people live there in the first place or once they found out just how cold it could get in the Midwest why did they not move to someplace where it is warmer? Same goes for places where it is blazing in the summer.
Right now I am perfectly happy being where I am and next year at this time I will be in Reno where it does get cold and hot, but not this cold and the heat is dry and there is always air conditioning and I am stocking up on warm clothes already.
It rained last night and there was even thunder which I have not heard in several years. By morning it was dry but more rain came later and that has dried up also. No rain forecast for tomorrow but more for Sunday and the days after. I will run my errands tomorrow and then hole up.
I consider a day with both rain and sunshine a beautiful day. The garden is getting plenty of water so no watering necessary. Same goes for those plants in the breezeway.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even imagine living in places where it is this cold. Whatever made people live there in the first place or once they found out just how cold it could get in the Midwest why did they not move to someplace where it is warmer? Same goes for places where it is blazing in the summer.
You know...it's home. Like, the weather absolutely can suck in the winter and summer, and I'll complain about it, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than the Chicago area, because I've got a weird, inexplicable love for it. I know people move far away, but for me, the idea seems like taking away a person I love.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes for once I am thankful to be in Dallas. No extreme weather here!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t mind the cold and snow. Winter is a peaceful, quiet time and I enjoy having more time for indoor activities. Our summers are short but hot and usually by August I can’t wait for fall and winter.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You know...it's home. Like, the weather absolutely can suck in the winter and summer, and I'll complain about it, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than the Chicago area, because I've got a weird, inexplicable love for it. I know people move far away, but for me, the idea seems like taking away a person I love.
:yess: :yeah: :thumbsup:

Same here, it's my kind of town! Growing up my dad was a big skater and we spent most weekends at the ice rink. I also love having four seasons and not the same weather year round.

I have a million things I should be doing but if I get motivated enough I might even bake later on.
In the late afternoon I tried a new recipe for fudgy chocolate chip brownies - oh so gooey and delicious. :yummy:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I was not talking about people now who have grown up in the cold/hot places. Of course it's home. I meant the White people who first came over from Europe and went to places where they had those extremes temps and why they stayed there instead of to keep going until they found a place with less extreme conditions, more like what they had at home. The people who came from Europe then did not have those extreme conditions due to the gulf stream warming the North Atlantic and the North Sea which in turn kept the land from getting so very cold.
Regarding pulling up one's roots: people do it all the time, I did and I was an adult. Then there are the snowbirds, mostly older people who move to places like Florida, Arizona and California and Oregon to get away from the cold. No, I don't want to move to Nevada but I don't have any choice. I need to be closer to family due to age and I can't afford California anymore.
neely neely , California has seasons too, just not as pronounced as it is elsewhere farther North or East.
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 , the extreme weather of central Texas (Fort Worth) was just one reason why I could not wait to get out of there. Puddles were frozen during the winter and summer temps of 100F with 98% were certainly extremes, no?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was not talking about people now who have grown up in the cold/hot places. Of course it's home. I meant the White people who first came over from Europe and went to places where they had those extremes temps and why they stayed there instead of to keep going until they found a place with less extreme conditions, more like what they had at home. The people who came from Europe then did not have those extreme conditions due to the gulf stream warming the North Atlantic and the North Sea which in turn kept the land from getting so very cold.
Regarding pulling up one's roots: people do it all the time, I did and I was an adult. Then there are the snowbirds, mostly older people who move to places like Florida, Arizona and California and Oregon to get away from the cold. No, I don't want to move to Nevada but I don't have any choice. I need to be closer to family due to age and I can't afford California anymore.
neely neely , California has seasons too, just not as pronounced as it is elsewhere farther North or East.
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 , the extreme weather of central Texas (Fort Worth) was just one reason why I could not wait to get out of there. Puddles were frozen during the winter and summer temps of 100F with 98% were certainly extremes, no?
It really hasn’t been too cold here for the last 3 years. Although the weather fluctuates really wildly here depending on region. I live by Addison and it hasn’t been frozen or snowed :( for the last 3 years. It’s still very hot here for 3 months out of the year but the dessert heat is worse and I hear the east coast gets pretty bad. Of course it’s not as good as Southern California but it could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.