It's A Beautiful Day! - The Positive Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spent the past two weeks trying to get a surrendered 5-year-old tortico at the shelter to make up with me. All she did was hiss, growl and lash out at us. This morning she let me pet her head, so we're getting somewhere. :petcat::clapcat: Her former owner, who's quite ill, said she got her as a feral kitten and she wouldn't let her touch her for a good six months.
Aw, poor thing, sounds like she is getting to know and trust you. I bet she'll soon let you pick her up and give her kisses.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got to the gym to weight lift again after close to three weeks off. I had to drop my weights way down, and my legs really hurt after, but it was good to be able to try to make muscles again (because with my ridiculously rapid weight loss in my illness, I didn't manage to get rid of the underarm flab :sigh:). Slowly but surely!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
We did a record 47 animals at my spay and rescue, including 9 ferals. We are thinking of setting up another date for spay and rescue just for ferals! And here in February, in North Carolina, it was 74 degrees today. :thumbsup:

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did a record 47 animals at my spay and rescue, including 9 ferals. We are thinking of setting up another date for spay and rescue just for ferals! And here in February, in North Carolina, it was 74 degrees today. :thumbsup:
When I was in Kerry, a small rescue set up a "fix it for a fiver! " plan. Two vets involved. I knew I was moving soon and was caring for 2 entire ferals. So I managed to trap them... The vet was doing well into 3 figures neutering. I did not succeed in moving the ferals successfully but at least they were fixed so that eased me.

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a heat wave here, 45F compared to -24F with the polar vortex. There were even runners in shorts along one of the popular lakeshore paths. Can't wait to bask in the balmy temps. today after our mid-week freeze. Happy Sunday to all. :cool2:
Sheeting down here and occasional thunder.. high winds.. set this way for the foreseeable future.. dratted big cat just creeped under my bedclothes - and I mean CREEPED! He is long haired and sodden ...eeek Unstoppable when determined... west mayo Ireland offshore island

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I got my hair cut/thinned out this morning. It was becoming unmanageable again, though I'd gotten it cut shortly before Christmas.

We bought sheepskins for our decrepit leather sofas a few weeks ago, and Mowgli has finally decided that he absolutely loves them. He's still trying to figure out which one he likes best.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Recovering from a long dental appointment yesterday but glad it's behind me. My sister and I have a major fear of dentists that goes back to childhood. Thankfully I have found a very caring and gentle dentist now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a beautiful day today. I have a small online business selling washable covers for swiffer sweepers that I sew. January through May is my peak sales time and usually I will sew almost every day in January and February to have enough inventory. But this last week my beloved and overworked Singer sewing machine had a breakdown that is going to require a trip to the repair shop for who knows how long. I have been fretting over that for days and unable to bring it in due to back to back to back ice and snow storms.

I have seen used sewing machines at the goodwill from time to time and kicked myself for not picking up one as a backup. I dropped in today, toured the store and found nothing and then at last glance there it was. Right brand, a Singer. Right age: not a newer machine, most are crap, but not really old either. Right price $20 but it was senior day so $15. I was so excited to find it I didn’t think to even see if it worked. But got it home and it sews perfectly. It even came with extra bobbins. A half hour of cleaning, winding bobbins and setting up my templates and I am back to sewing.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The motor fried on our sump pump last night. How is that a beautiful day? We caught it soon enough, we have a battery-powered back-up, which held the water at bay until I could get a replacement and install it. Now, isn't NOT having a flooded basement a beautiful thing?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The motor fried on our sump pump last night. How is that a beautiful day? We caught it soon enough, we have a battery-powered back-up, which held the water at bay until I could get a replacement and install it.
Good luck with your new sump pump replacement. :crossfingers: We had to call a plumber last week during the polar vortex.

Although the weather is gray and dreary I received an e-mail that today is Happy Hour at Starbucks - any espresso beverage half-price after 3 p.m.! That will definitely make it a "beautiful day" for me. :woohoo:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The motor fried on our sump pump last night. How is that a beautiful day? We caught it soon enough, we have a battery-powered back-up, which held the water at bay until I could get a replacement and install it. Now, isn't NOT having a flooded basement a beautiful thing?
Amen to that. Battery backup is such a blessing. We had a terrible rainstorm a few summers back and lost power for a full afternoon. Most of my neighbors had flooded basements but my battery pump worked wonderfully and kept me dry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm having the WONDERFUL opportunity to watch a hummingbird baby webcam that is in California. One has fledged already, and the other may take off today :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: They are having a terrific season, which is a relief because there were all sorts of troubles in previous years, from crows, and lost eggs, etc etc.

My hummies will (hopefully if all goes well for them on their travels) be here sometime in April. It's completely amazing to me that hummingbirds are here on the eastern plains, (the very east edge of Denver at any rate lol)

The California fires have had an impact on at least one of the other regular hummy webcams to the point that there are no hummingbirds there at all nesting or otherwise, so every single one of the babies is even more important :)

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your new sump pump replacement. :crossfingers: We had to call a plumber last week during the polar vortex.

Although the weather is gray and dreary I received an e-mail that today is Happy Hour at Starbucks - any espresso beverage half-price after 3 p.m.! That will definitely make it a "beautiful day" for me. :woohoo:
It was a piece of cake. It took me about 20 minutes or so to pull the old pump and install the new one, because the set-up is designed for easy replacement of parts.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the WONDERFUL opportunity to watch a hummingbird baby webcam that is in California. One has fledged already, and the other may take off today :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: They are having a terrific season, which is a relief because there were all sorts of troubles in previous years, from crows, and lost eggs, etc etc.

My hummies will (hopefully if all goes well for them on their travels) be here sometime in April. It's completely amazing to me that hummingbirds are here on the eastern plains, (the very east edge of Denver at any rate lol)

The California fires have had an impact on at least one of the other regular hummy webcams to the point that there are no hummingbirds there at all nesting or otherwise, so every single one of the babies is even more important :)
I love hummingbirds. We only get 3 different types here in Ohio and they usually show up around late April or early May. I'm going to buy a new feeder this year as the old one was not big enough. I love the buzzing sounds of their sweet wings.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Sheeting down here and occasional thunder.. high winds.. set this way for the foreseeable future.. dratted big cat just creeped under my bedclothes - and I mean CREEPED! He is long haired and sodden ...eeek Unstoppable when determined... west mayo Ireland offshore island
I read about Aquill Island and a mysterious village that disappeared in 1838. Very interesting history around where you are. Stay safe with Erik on the loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.