Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My babies come back this evening if they don't get homes around 5 or so I pick them up. They say this lady is amazing and extremely picky when it comes to homes so that makes me feel a bit better.

Yes, it's heartbreaking that she' stuck in there all the time. I've never seen a cat that had to have her claws trimmed to keep them out of her skin before, but it happened. I don' think they purposely did it by any means, I just think she became of smaller priority in a bigger operation and got almost lost. The place is very clean and her cage looked nice so hopefully it is like that all the time. I'm going to try and go down today when she's there and help out. Then maybe I can offer to help take her, or pay for her to get tested asap. I know funds are probably very tight, so I get that part. I do not see why she would turn down someone helping an animal at all so perhaps she will be happy to let me help. I'm very concerned about her well being though. Is it possible she had the diabetes prior to caging, or became that way from being pregnant? They say she's had it for as long as they know (dililated pupils). Either that or she perhaps has a thyroid problem. Idk, I do just hope for her sake she lets me get her asap. On Wednesday I'll start pushing for her to come more as that's when I'll have her adoption fee. For real I was going to offer to take her now and just bring her back for her appoitment with the eye Dr so she isn't in that cage any longer. I'm beside myself to say it nicely that they believe that to be any kind of life for her at all. I may take her to that vet an hr away and have an entire workup done on her bcz I have a list of possibilities that I got off the web and only 1 can't be treated and has no known cause or treatment. I do hope it's something that can be fixed.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The babies were all relaxed when I got there to pick them up. She said they all did great and even tux let people hold and pet and play with him. They are all home safe and sound, and we go back in 2 weeks to try it again. Hopefully they get homes then, and they are on the site so it is quite possible.

So, the lady who is helping me knows the lady with the blind kitty and said if I call and ask in a way that sounds like I'm helping her then she will likely let me take her to the vet. She's pretty upset about the situation and she told me to just adopt the kitty and go. She said she's kinda odd, and she really didn't get y the kitty couldn't leave then. She told me to put her as a reference and hopefully she gives her to me soon.

I believe my arm is infected pretty good where she bit me, I'm going to start taking some amoxicillin and hope that helps as it's pretty red and painful.

Ms katerdeen won't quit losing and pulling off her diapers (disposables, and the made covers) so I tried a new fix to the situation since I don't have enough of the washable to do more than a day or so really. I'll post a pic, it's pretty adorable although she's not the most happy camper at the moment.
20171119_183453.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The amoxicillin should heal your arm. Be sure to take a whole course.

Glad the cat family is back with you now!

I think you got good advice from your friend!

Is that Catniss with pants on?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are all over the place again lol. It's nice to have them home.

Yeah, I'm calling her tomorrow. Hopefully it will go well.

Yes,she wouldn' stop taking her diapers off or losing them, so I bought her pants lol. It's funny, cute, and serves a purpose. They are just newborn baby pants.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
When reading about the blind cat I was going to suggest a test for diabetes... not only because she is chunky but diabetic cats are prone to blindness as well! Definitely something to check out!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1 that's definitely what I'm thinking. She came in pregnant so I'm thinking she may have acuired it all through that and it just hasn't gone away likely because she was I believe a semi feral cat as she was outside someone's house. I'm going to have her tested for diabetes, hypertension, and hypothyroidism all 3 since the blood pressure I'm sure is the cause but the underlying is most likely one of the others and once those are fixed she will hopefully go back to normal. I did read somewhere that stress makes glucose levels rise so perhaps just getting her out of there might help her even. Poor girl is fat, full of that crusty stuff on her entre back and part of tail, poop stuck to her butt, and she actually had to have her nails trimmed while I was there becase she never uses them (never saw a cat who had to have it done for any reason other than scratching). She's in need of lots of love and tlc but I know she can be wonderful once I figure out what is really going on and she gets out of the darn cage she's been in for 2.5 years. Poor poor baby.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm FULL of concern. I called to talk to her about poor Sammy and ask if I could take her to the vet. This is the response I got... the only reason I answered the phone was because I thought it was about an adoption or rescue, I just lost a kitten I'll have to call u back. Click.... ok, I'll give a certain amount of leeway for the kitten thing, however, this is the owner and person who runs this rescue on a daily basis. Where's the professional attitude, and so that means that we forget about the other 200 cats that need homes?! She didn't even listen to what I was tryin to tell her, instead interrupts with that. I was already highly concerned with the situation, and even more so now as this was approx noon and I still have yet to get a call. Maybe I'm overreacting, but if I don't get a call how long do I wait before I prolly talk to the rescue lady that knows her and perhaps even voice my concerns to someone who is of some authority? I can't sit back and let this happen and do nothing. She has been locked in a cage for 2 years and 9 months with likely a very serious medical condition that can not only kill her but be fixed, full of that crusty dandruff and not moving from her box unless it is to eat or poop. She's in a smaller dog cage (maybe 3 feet long and 1.5 wide) it does have a 2nd tier but it's half the cage and she can't stand up either on top or under it. I don't want to stir anything up either, especially if she might adopt her to me, however I can't not do anything if for some reason she doesn't. This is crazy! How did Sammy end up like this, and y is nt anything done with her?! I would think someone would have cared. She apparently just refused someone who wanted to foster her bcz she wanted her in a real home. I think that's great she wants her in one, but after so much time y wouldn't u let someone let the poor girl out of that prison she's in!? I'm getting more and more upset about it, and unless the woman answers the phone and let's me go there Saturday is the only time I can just walk in and help Sammy out.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've called down, she finally called. She seems like the adoption is going to happen, and that she's going to let me take her to the vet. She said she will call in the next day or 2. Apparently the rescue lady called and talked to her as well and I believe that's why she's willing to do it all. She said she's going to want to drop her off at my house so that will be her home visit. So I am way calmer. Hopefully I can take her on Wednesday to the Dr, and I will get that all done and perhaps fix her problem! She said she doesn't believe she has diabetes as she claims she doesn't overuse the litter box. Either way a round of blood tests I think will help that out. Fingers crossed all goes well and that I can get everything done in a timely manner and that she gets better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am praying that this works out and you can get this cat out of her cage and into your home. I don't blame you for being upset.

I have a feeling that once she adjusts to being out of her cage she will slowly begin to improve. I hope so anyway.

God bless and keep us posted!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O I hope so too. I am hoping there's a slim chance to get her sight back. If not it's ok but I hope so. Nobody really knows where she came from, just that someone said she was living outside their house and they fed her and she ended up being pregnnt and brought in. Her babies are long gone, and here she sat forgotten about. She may be like endna (the babies mom) who was just a street cat and is finally today adjusted to being out of the room and wants to be. (I'll take a pic). It has moo running around showing her rear but she will live. Edna should be leaving really soon as well. I think she will be fine in a few weeks in her room, and I actually bought a brand new kennel I will put out in case she feels safer and leave it open all the time.

Should I go ahead and have her bring her over asap or wait til the babies and everyone is gone? I hate to leave her in that cage however I don't want to hinder her any either. Fluffy cat has to stay in there til she leaves, by she really keeps to herself as her and Edna are in there all the time together and never have a prblem and she just really hangs out on her rug I put down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not think you should wait. I think the new cat will do just fine. If anything, I think she might be happy to be able to interact outside of her cage IF she wants to. She needs the choice. I agree she needs to come to you asap!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just didn't want to push her into things. I thought perhaps i was just being to emotional about it bcz i hated caging the babies and mom even. Do most people leave their foster animals in cages? The really bad part is theres at least 1 empty enclosure at the facility that she could have been put in. There are several kitties shoved in cages but the rest seem more vocal and such so theu arent all fat, nor do they have a medical problem. Fluffy will be fine, I'll just put her in another area away from the rug. The cage I got is only 2 feet long. Should I make it up like hers was there with the litter ECT, or should I make it to where she has to come out? I don't want to push her to much, but I also don't want her to just stay in there forever. I feel like I'm lost because I have no idea whether or not she can or will ever see, or what kind of things she has done ect. I guess we will see...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just play it by ear, a day at a time. Give her the choice to come out or not. She may be reluctant at first since she's been caged for so long, so I imagine she'll need plenty of TLC along the way.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I told the lady who has Sammy I would help tomorrow with the animals. If she doesn' call (she told me the other day she would call me in the next couple of days) should I make an attempt to call her and go help or not? It's a place only open 1 day a week (saturday) unless u have an appointment, so I can' just show up

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just remember what the other lady said about just get Sammy and get away all in all. I was shocked by the fact she said that honestly but I don't really want to find out why either. Maybe I can brush Sammy for a little while too, and let her out for a bit. I'm usually all for helping, as I stop by the other place when they are open and I'm that way at all (it's 30 minutes away) and love on everyone, and let me Duckworth out and roll him around (literally as well as not) too. Idk why that lady doesn't run specials on some of her kitties that have been there awhile to hopefully get homes. I mean I've contemplated it and though it doesn't always cover the cost of the original vet expenses it pays off for both the facility and kitties to offer discounts. I mean there's been research done on the offering them cheaper doesn't mean lower care and it found that it didn't matter. I think her heart is probably in the right place but it isn' panning out especially when our no kill animal shelter on regular charges 75 I believe for a kitty, and typically every other month or more offdiscounts like 25 for cats, or sometimes even waived fee adoptions. I know it is not my place or problem, but I just see why they are staying longer than most and only around 80 a year get a home from there. There are literally 200+ in there, so it definitely means homes are scarce and less than half leave a year. That's crazy. Perhaps a set amount posted would help, or something. I mean I just asked how much for Sammy after I already told her I wanted her and it was 90. I would've paid whatever really, but that' apparently her fee as that's what the other ppl who adopted that day (I was there until she left literally all the time they were open and only 3 people came in, 2 adopted (1 being me), both at the same price. I guess I would just like to see them get real homes, and I would also like others to have a chance at a warm place to sleep as it is getting dreadfully cold here. O, I thought my mama kitty flew out the door and was in the yard, turns out there's an orange tabby running around now. Ugh, if I see it again I'll have to set out a trap as it is freezing at night. Poor dear, I hope he's that guy on the road to the rear with all the outside cats.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The lady with the 2 blind kittens finally just sent an email back. She said that she either did or would send all the records to the comitee and see if they would be willing to do a home visit to adopt them. She said it is to hard to keep track of the different places, and some weren't from where I put on the app (I would have had to put down at least 5 places prolly more). I think I'm going to send an email back telling them i am still interested but it depends on what happens with Sammy. (By the way haven't heard a word about her).

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kittens went again today to the adoption place. Apparently they are being looked at pretty good but no takers that were good anyway. One of them didn't want 2 which is ok, and another came to Look at a declawed cat that wasn't a match, but wanted Siamese. That was shot down by the lady bcz she would have obviously declawed her as she was looking for a declawed cat. She thinks some will go next week though as there were some looking. We r letting calico and tab go separate as tab really needs a home with lots and lots of attention. He's cute and I love him but I think a young kid who wants to carry him around all day would do him well.

The rescue lady said she told the lady with Sammy to just give her to me bcz of her condition however she obviously didn't listen. She said she claimed she wanted to see what the appointment found. I told her something needed to be done as that wasn't right for her to be stuck in there and she agreed.

They apparently want me to start fostering Duckworth the end of next week. Hopefully the babies find homes, and perhaps even Fluffy (she should be able to go). I need to see about Edna going to I suppose as she's got a home but just hasn't gone.

O, have been leaving bob diaperless for about a week. Well, today he left turds all over... man.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fluffy is that cat that I trapped after the babies when I heard the meowing. The fluffy grey tabby.