Help with pregnant kitty

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can just let it out of the trap! They are relatively harmless! It is just scared! Just stand behind the trap and open it and it will run out!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Opossoms aren't really a bad animal to have around the colony, they won't attach the cats and they eat ticks and other pests!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O he took some real action to get out! I took him down the road so hopefully he stays gone. I have a 5 lb dog I don't want eaten lol. The owl is enough! Do they always keep their mouths open and drool or did he have rabies? Didn' seem messed up but still. He did not want to come out so I had to use his door and flip it over (I felt bad but he couldn' stay in there). He eventually left after that and waddled away. He was cute from that angle lol.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O, I didn't know that. I'm trying to trap all of the strays though and he's a waste of trap. I do not feed them outside, but they still come around. If i do catch a feral it can stay though once it is no longer a baby maker. I don't think they are feral though, I believe they r just not with proper owners. The kitty I'm after now I believe old daddy fuzz balls in there was mating with and I either catch and fix now, or I'll end up with another litter if they can tell at all. He wasn't harmed though and he got a free car ride lol. Idk who was more scared, me or him!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - the possum is harmless. He was hungry and went in, then got scared and drooled from fright.

If you ever catch one again just leave the trap door open and it will eventually go out on its own.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I took him to an open place with more wooded area than my house so hopefully he does ok there. It isn' on a main road either so less chance of a car hitting him than at my house. I think he will be ok there. I've seen some things where they live with cats just like cats.

Ok, so past my freak out... katniss... that poor dear is going to be the death of me. So I now am giving her clavomox twice a day, probiotics in canned food, her regular food, cleaning her belly three times a day with dial, antiseptic cleanser, or peroxide (did that twice then stopped). She's in a cage when I'm gone and I try and only watch her when I let her out. She's out at the moment on my bed but she has to go back for the night as she jumped off something and split open all the progress we were making. Her butt looks healed, but the rest is far from it. It doesn't look at all pussy (please say that's really how that's spelled) and some parts of it seem better. Just letting it dry and form a scab should let it heal right? I hate to take her to a vet who does the same thing I can do here. I was going to call and ask for a mild sedative to help her stay calm but she seems ok in the small cage as she can't get rambunctious. I feel so so bad for her but it's for her own good. If it gets any worse we will go to the vet for sure but at this point I think it looks really well considering can opener teeth thought she was her own chew toy.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I might try that as she see me really dry. I think that' how the whole mess stared. I might do it on the places that aren't so wide open like that one. If she doesn't have a reaction then I'll use it. She' really sensitive I think. I put the bag balm on her like I do bob and she's all swelled and red after just a bit. I think the baking soda dried her out to much and she was itchy. Coconut oil sounds like a good idea as it is natural. If it doesn't work any other natural ideas for her? I've tried everything that bob can use and it did not work. She's totally different.

Daddy cat and my tiny dog got fixed today. Daddy cat came home and peed on a rug! I think he was confused as he hasn't spent much time out and I just came in set him down and opened the cage. I was only half mad cause it was more my fault but hopefully I got the smell out of everything! It was terrible! Then I was taking him to the room and he got scared of the dogs and put a giant gash in my ear trying to get away. It hurt so so bad! Thank God he got his shots today! He's ok now though, and he never hisses or growls at any of the cats but he screams to be let out at night and he isn' fond of the dogs but they really have to get close like almost touching to get a rise out of him. Merlin and dozer do not like him and mama kitty won' stay away from him.

I might have questions about indoor outdoor cats as daddy cat may end up being one of those even though I hope not

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave katniss some lactulose earlier today as she does not go enough and she had a good amount of poo balls come out. She still eats and drinks like a champ but at least 1 ball a day is what we need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really hope the coconut oil will help. Try it for a few days first.

Glad daddy cat is neutered. Sounds like he just needs time to settle in! :)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we have good news, not so good news, not good news at all, more good news and so on lol.

We will start with katniss:
Been cleaning ECT, looked like scabs everywhere and they weren't (or mostly anyway). All dry skin! Poor baby! Put the coconut oil on and it loosened it up and didn' irritate her either! So happy. Then the bad is as I was shaving a dime sized chunk of it came off hide and all! I was petrified, it was already loose and dead though.. whew! Still have one more spot I think will do the same thing and then we r home free with her! All the stuff under is a nice pinkish red color so no infection and we clean clean clean. I oiled her up again after I shaved off what I could before the clippers died. Trhe light won' come on saying they r charging (definitely bad news). Anyway I think the oil did wonders and we r on the way to healing.

Next: set up the traps for the female cat, did not catch her. Got another intact male! Good news is he isn't feral bad news I have to get him neutered. The rescue lady said I could use her account so it will be cheaper but I still don' know how much. Daddy cat beat him up after I started trying to see if he was male so the boys r both in cages for now. I think the new male hid it until then or something cause they were fine before. New guy is very timid though.

Lots of good and bad around here but it is what it is I suppose.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Catniss' rear is getting better. Continue using it on the new pink skin too.

When is the neuter scheduled for the new guy?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we havent gotten an appointment yet as typically we take them to the stray and feral clinic so they r cheaper and so they can be done whatever day. This is a different place than I used to go as the other place they r jerks and she doesn't like them either so it's like Tuesday to Thursday walk in and only in a trap. I have to talk to her and see if I can schedule a Saturday for him as I can' take off work to drop off and pick up (drop off 730 pick up 330 latest). I have to be at the job site by 8 and 430 is 8 hrs. It'll work out somehow I guess.

This isn't entirely cat related but it concerns me a lot. I took my little dog in to be spayed at the same time and it looks like they cut her back leg skin where her leg bends out from her body. Idk y if she's put out that a razor or any tool that could cut her would be there or how it would get cut. Should i be concerned about this? I mean this is a 4.2 lb dog, I bring 3 lb kittens to get done so I don' want anyone hurt. It irritates her as I see her lick only that spot. If that's some ploy like putting glue in a random spot to get their attention then they are WRONG! Should I be concerned or let it go?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does it need stitches? She might need it closed up. She also might need antibiotics just in case of getting bacteria in the cut with her tongue. I think you should get it looked at anyway. It sounds like an accidental cut in a hard to heal place!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No it's not like it's completely cut open it more or less looks like they got her with the razor two or three times right there. It's a little confusing as to where it's at for sure even though she's small I don't understand how they cut her there. I'll send a picture when I get home today if I can get her to hold still. The antibiotics she might need I'll check it out again as she does not like to be flipped over LOL

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it occurred when they were shaving her. Clean it with a warm cloth and apply the coconut oil. Hopefully that will take care of it.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually was just thinking the same thing. I don't understand why they would shave her while she was awake? Don't they usually put them to sleep first? Katniss's stuff looks so so much better. Or worse I guess it depends on how you look at it. I don't know if it'll ever grow fur back which if it doesn't it's not a big deal because it now looks like she's getting her knee I guess you could say... I'll take a picture of that when I get home as well it's pretty open now and there's some substantial size spots however I think they'll heal quick now that all of the extra skin and stuff is off the top of it. I think when I put the baking soda on it put it to her body too much and caused a really bad urine burn underneath it but you couldn't tell from the top. That's all I can figure out. I put lots of coconut oil on it this morning and she had to go back into her cage but she seems to be doing well and I let her stay out all night last night even though I woke up with poop balls gross!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg!! The same thing happened to one of my cats when I got him back from the shelter, after he was spayed!! An inexplicable cut in the inner thigh! They told me nothing happened, so had no clue as to what it could be. Now, thanks to your post, I might have an answer!!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yanaka Yanaka It's still just a guess but from the look very likely what happened. Doesn't make sense still unless they r either shaving awake or doing it on purpose. Did your baby heal up ok?

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yanaka Yanaka It's still just a guess but from the look very likely what happened. Doesn't make sense still unless they r either shaving awake or doing it on purpose. Did your baby heal up ok?
He is healed now, but the scab that I noticed a few days after his surgery turned into an infection and I had to rush him to the emergency room. He had a 104° fever, was lethargic, and developed a URI because the infection triggered the germs in his body. He had a small operation to take out the suture they had put in (although they denied doing anything more than a regular neutering!), and replace it with a new, clean suture. I was SO pissed at the shelter. My baby was miserable, and I spent so much money on stupid nonsense!