Extremely Skittish Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried head bumps? Or would she hiss at you if you put your head that close to hers?

Another idea, instead of reaching towards her with your fingers, try reaching with your fist. My friend's cat is skittish and will sniff at my fist, but is more likely to run off if I reach with my fingers.

I think you're wise not to do anything to make her uncomfortable in her window.

Does she know her name yet?
Nope, I get hissed at if I'm that close! I did try the cat-toy idea though and it almost worked... she didn't hiss but the wand wasn't long enough to reach back to the window lol. Work in progress!

Read to her after work tonight and she was quicker to eat the treats so that was nice! She's made a little nest with her bathmat back there and seems pretty cosy though I do wish she'd come out - it's pretty cold here now and I don't want her to be uncomfortable!

Oh and I'm not sure if she knows her name yet. She gives me the same glare (or, to be fair, nice blink/closed eyes sometimes) no matter what I call her. :lol:

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did she hiss at the shelter lady?
She did when I got her but she didn't get a chance the day she was de-flea-d - the rescue lady was SO good she had her scruffed, picked up, and in her lap before Rosa knew what hit her. She was quiet and complacent when she was in her lap. I just can't find my way to that point. :sigh:

Furballsmom Furballsmom lol, she has a lot of nicknames - Miss Kittycat, Ro-Ro, Princess Hissy Pants... it wouldn't surprise me if she thought I was just a crazy person who didn't even know her name! :lol::lol:

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I taped the wand toy to a wooden spoon so I could reach Rosa in the window. She put up with it (sniffing at it and then sort of edging suspiciously away) for about 30 seconds, and then the hissing. Scratch that idea for now - it was hard to control so maybe it just wasn't gentle/smooth enough for her. :ohwell:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, you mentioned you were going to look into heated pads.
There are several options for warming beds and such; there is a type that isn't electrified and warms with the animals body heat, then there's a gel pad that can be microwaved and stays warm for several hours, and then there are heated beds that are plug-in types. They're low wattage, and don't start to heat unless there's pressure from the cats' weight.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, you mentioned you were going to look into heated pads.
There are several options for warming beds and such; there is a type that isn't electrified and warms with the animals body heat, then there's a gel pad that can be microwaved and stays warm for several hours, and then there are heated beds that are plug-in types. They're low wattage, and don't start to heat unless there's pressure from the cats' weight.
Oh this is awesome to know! I have a long long list of cat things to buy/try/do... but I think this needs to happen soon so at least she's comfy in her window.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the skittish ones can make the best companions. My Olivie was(and still is) a very skittish one as a kitten. It is thought that possibly one, or both of her parents may have been feral. The first few days after I adopted her, she was very wild and hard to catch. She slowly came around, I think it helped her being around my other cats. She has become a very loyal companion, she loves to cuddle and purr, and she follows me everywhere I go. She is over three years old, and is still skittish...like if she hears a noise out in the hallway, she will run and hide, but when she is around me she is very comfortable and she's a very loving and sweet little kitty.
It just takes time with the skittish ones. Eventually your kitty will feel comfortable and come out of her shell a little bit. She may never be as outgoing as some cats are, but if you keep working with her, she'll be very trusting in you and you'll have a very loyal companion.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update: Rosa came out to the living room while I was drinking a cup of tea just now! And not only that... I just got her to chase the laser pointer for 10 straight minutes!!! She was FULLY engaged, chasing it, hunting it, running after it like her little life depended on it - it was the cutest possible thing to see my little floof just go nuts for that teeny light. She barely looked at me the entire time because she was so focused!

Now she's in the living room window keeping an eye on the neighbourhood and I am just so, so happy. I've been worried I'd just have a scared cat sleeping in my window forever! (She's probably waiting for me to go to bed so she can curl up on the couch, lol.) I'm so grateful for the support and advice I've gotten here - I'm sure it's helped a ton even in this phase we're having of going backwards. :)

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick update: Rosa came out to the living room while I was drinking a cup of tea just now! And not only that... I just got her to chase the laser pointer for 10 straight minutes!!! She was FULLY engaged, chasing it, hunting it, running after it like her little life depended on it - it was the cutest possible thing to see my little floof just go nuts for that teeny light. She barely looked at me the entire time because she was so focused!

Now she's in the living room window keeping an eye on the neighbourhood and I am just so, so happy. I've been worried I'd just have a scared cat sleeping in my window forever! (She's probably waiting for me to go to bed so she can curl up on the couch, lol.) I'm so grateful for the support and advice I've gotten here - I'm sure it's helped a ton even in this phase we're having of going backwards. :)
Hey, congrats! That's a really exciting development. I bet she feels way better now that the fleas are gone. I'm happy to hear things are going well with her :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is so great! You must be totally thrilled. I bet it's got something to do with her feeling better now that the fleas are under control. I predict she'll eventually be snuggling with you on the sofa, or your bed. :catlove:

I was just rereading up-thread and see I called Rosa the wrong name. Oops. Sorry sweetie. :catrub:

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rosa and I have been having an awesome week. She's started coming out in the evenings again, and - even better! - she's playing with the laser pointer!!! She'll chase it back and forth forever. We've done that four nights in a row, and last night I had the presence of mind to have treats near me, so I did the 'classic' shy cat move of throwing them to her, a little closer to me every time - it WORKED! She came RIGHT up next to me in front of the couch to get the last ones. After that, she played with her catnip banana (full-on rabbit kicks and rolling around!) and sniffed everything in the living room and watched TV with me until I went to bed.

We're still not at the point of touching but I'm so happy for her that my heart hurts - she seems happier and more comfortable with me than ever, and she actually moved for those treats which she's NEVER done before! She's been eating more lately too, which I think is a good thing.

The fleas are mostly controlled I think. I didn't see any for a few days but then yesterday found two - which is right on schedule according to my research as the pupa left over hatch. I'll do a thorough clean and vacuum today and hopefully we'll see the last of the little a-holes!

Also rubysmama rubysmama - Gracie was actually her name at the rescue so I didn't even notice when you called her that! lol!