Heated Mat For Elderly Kitty: Plug-in Vs "self Warming."

Mukluk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my kitty is getting on in years, a little arthritic, and I would like to get her a heated mat. She has some mobility issues and I think a mat would be best as she wouldn't have to climb over anything. I am wondering what peoples' experiences have been with plug-in style vs "self warming" mats. Also any specific recommendations would be great. I would consider getting a larger mat so both of the kitties can use it. Thanks in advance!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You are bringing up a great topic. I suppose that it depends upon where you live. I live in an area that has subfreezing temperatures for about 5-6 months of the year & we do not use central heating. Therefore, I find that the K&H heated mat works best for kitties with special needs such as arthritis and FIV+. I offer both mats and the heated one works best. I have read low-scoring opinions in the merchants' pages that complain that the mats do not give much heat; I have used the mats myself, to rest my feet on for neuropathic pain, and they do heat up well when weight is upon them. They just don't emit a strong heat as does a heating pad for humans. Kieka brings up an excellent concern about kneading - I have not had that problem but if I had a cat with strong kneading urges, I would put a folded towel or thin pillow in between, if the heated pad was not already inside the cat bed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The self-heating we have barely gets used. The plug in beds are the favorites. But I don't like leaving things like that on when I'm not around. (I'm a stay-at-home Mom, so I'm usually here.)

This is the brand we have: Amazon.com: K&H Pet Products: Indoor Heated Cat Beds

My girls like the deep cup style beds. Even my girl who doesn't climb well loves her bed. It's not so high that she can't walk in yet. She uses a step stool to get on her normal chair or the couch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mukluk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your feedback so far and thanks in advance for anymore to come. The K&H products seem to get good reviews. I have thought of getting a self heated one and a plug in and seeing which one kitty prefers.

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went through a similar situation when my angel, Heisenberg, got old and bony. For a while the heat from an incandescent light bulb in a table lamp he could sit/lay under was enough, but when he started getting sicker we got a heating pad that only turns on when there's something on it. I don't have the link for it handy at the moment, but as soon as I can get it I'll post it here!

Mukluk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ambient temperature inside house is at least 65 in the winter and up to 80 in the summer. But I know her little elderly self kitty (Essie) would likely love a nice warm mat. Cats seem to really like heat. I find my other cat (Stinkerbelle) likes to hang out in the garage which gets pretty hot in the summer. Just want Miss Essie to be happy. She's a very sweet snuggly girl!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use microwavable SnuggleSafe pads. That might be something you can look into. The pads are hard plastic so not comfy but you wouldn't want a cat to lie directly on it anyways because of the potential for skin burns. I tuck the pad between the folds of a fleece blanket. The blanket helps retain heat. I've found the pads still warm 12+ hours later.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have 3 "plug-in" heated beds.
The one that has been used the most by our cats is this "short sided" bowl-type bed.
We had one like this, with higher sides. The cats did not like this as much as the short bed, so I cut the foam sides to make it like the short-sided bed. The covers on the round beds zip off and go into the washing machine.

The third bed is a flat mat that is similar to this bed. We have had this heated bed for at least 15 years, and we replaced the heating pad inside the bed about 5 years ago. Our bed has cotton canvas fabric on both sides. The heating pad pulls out and the whole bed goes into the washer.

We had one kitty who purr-ferred the flat heated mat and would not use the round beds.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had both for my tiny senior cat, Murphy. She had no body fat and Minnesota winters make my old house drafty and chilly. I started with the heated bed which was supposed to maintain a certain temperature, heating up only when she laid on it. And she loved it. But after six months or so it started to malfunction and not only stayed on all the time but got really really warm. So it was discarded in favor of a self warming. Could have been her tiny less than five pound weight but it barely warmed up enough to make much difference. Had she not passed I would have gotten her another heated bed. So, i think it depends on your cat and the climate you live in.

Mukluk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all. I was surprised to hear that the microwave pats last that long. I'm leaning toward a heated bed, but have not yet made a final decision. Any additional wisdom would certainly be welcome.