Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, apologies! I went on holiday in December and apparently never remembered to log back in to check here.

Rosa's doing pretty well! I'd say she's made some progress for sure since my last post. I was away for two weeks at Christmas and she dealt with the pet sitter coming every day, which was not her favourite but she did survive - mostly by hiding from him, I think, hahaha. He saw her a few times while sitting quietly on the couch, but otherwise was just there to feed her and clean her litter box.

Once I got home, she even seemed like she'd missed me a teeny bit - she's started sometimes sitting on the couch with me, either on the arm opposite me or even on the cushion next to the arm. I'm still not able to touch her - she's been skittish this last week or two since I've done some organizing and bought new furniture - but she will come and sniff my hand pretty regularly now, almost every day. She always backs up with a hilariously appalled expression on her face with her mouth slightly open (which I think is just how cats get more scent information but it looks super funny!).

Before Christmas, I had an appointment with her vet, who is mobile and only does house calls - both highly desirable for me. He cemented my decision to go with this service when he chose to leave her alone after some impressive hissing during that first visit. Instead, he prescribed gabapentin for her to take for the next visit and we talked about managing her stress and fearfulness more. So here are the things we are working on:

-Actually getting her to take the gabapentin. He gave us 6 capsules and I've already wasted two on food options she didn't like - over her chicken (she batted it around the living room before eating it, removing any possible sedative effect) and in pill pockets (batted them around the living room but refused to eat them). Next up to try is mixing the contents in with some butter, as recommended by the vet tech (who is also wonderful). Smart cat refuses to let me drug her lol.
-Royal Canin Calm cat food. It is not as healthy as her current dry food, but is probably around the same price and has two natural compounds that are supposed to reduce stress. We're starting this tomorrow if I can be there for the delivery!
-Feliway Friends diffuser - instead of the original Feliway. Recommended by the vet, so I'll give it a shot.

Like I said, she's been skittish lately (running under the bed to hide whenever I move basically) but she's doing really well and seems happy. I really wish I could brush her as she's a bit of a ragamuffin right now, but she's keeping herself pretty well groomed and overall I think she's doing well. We play every night with the cat dancer - we play so much that we're on a second one because we wore out the first! It's been FREEZING here (in the -30s celsius) so I'd love to be cuddling with her for warmth, but overall I'm happy with our progress since August. Though I can't wait until I can post here and tell you all that I was finally allowed to pet her!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would highly suggest trying the feliway diffuser before anything else, if that has the desired effect then there's no need to put her on a sedative or change her food.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien thanks for the suggestion. I've had the original Feliway diffuser since I brought her home, and I will test the new one for a few days before changing her diet, but I don't think it will make enough of a difference if I'm being honest. The sedatives are solely for vet visits and she does NEED to be able to get vaccinations and get checked - not for me but for her own health and wellbeing. I'm testing the sedative to find a way to get her to take it, not just for no reason - once it works, I'll use that opportunity to try to clip her claws which are now extremely long. Keep in mind this is a cat I have only touched 3-4 times in the last 6 months because she is super fearful of human touch - I'm doing my best to be non-invasive but I have to be able to care for her too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Playing every night sounds good. And hopefully some day you'll be able to pet her. :catrub:

Sorry, no ideas on how to give her the gabapentin.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien thanks for the suggestion. I've had the original Feliway diffuser since I brought her home, and I will test the new one for a few days before changing her diet, but I don't think it will make enough of a difference if I'm being honest. The sedatives are solely for vet visits and she does NEED to be able to get vaccinations and get checked - not for me but for her own health and wellbeing. I'm testing the sedative to find a way to get her to take it, not just for no reason - once it works, I'll use that opportunity to try to clip her claws which are now extremely long. Keep in mind this is a cat I have only touched 3-4 times in the last 6 months because she is super fearful of human touch - I'm doing my best to be non-invasive but I have to be able to care for her too.
Ah, sorry, I guess I misunderstood then. It sounded like the gabapentin would be a semi-regular thing to help keep her calm, but if it's just for vet visits until she's settled enough for you to be able to handle her that's different. Hopefully you can find something that will work without having to resort to throwing a blanket over her and wrapping her up.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some medications are available in flavored 'tabs' that are designed to make them more palatable. We had some success with liver-flavored tablets with our first cat, who was a picky eater who turned her nose up at tuna and most commercial cat treats. The medicine is incorporated so seamlessly into the tab that cats can't pick it out and whatever they put in it is really enticing.

Some are also available in an ointment that you can apply to a cat's ears, which is great if your cat enjoys being petted. It sounds like that's not yet an option with Rosa, though.

I'm glad the vet is sensitive to Rosa's anxiety and has a plan for getting her the medical attention she needs without unnecessary trauma. Perhaps a mobile vet sees a higher than average number of anxious pets?

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien thank you - and yes, the gabapentin is just for vet visits! I don't think I was clear about that in my post, apologies. I do hope eventually she won't need it, as the vet does come here, but she's got a vaccine booster shot coming due next month that I want her to have.

Etarre Etarre I may need to look into these drug-treats if the butter doesn't do it! I really like my vet. He and his vet tech said that their motivation was reducing the stress of vet visits and they have been SO great about helping with Rosa. I couldn't ask for a better option for a scared kittycat!

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm new to this thread, but I started one very similar a few months ago as well and I'm curious to know how you're doing! I am also a new cat mom to a very skittish cat who sounds a lot like your lovely Rosa. It sounds like you've been extraordinarily patient with her. She's lucky to have you. How have the past few months been for you two?

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So sorry for disappearing - it's been a super crazy year so far and I just lost track of some things. Hopefully I can make it up to you with some great updates!

#1. I got Rosa a friend. I've been worried for a while that she gets lonely and I'm going to be traveling more this year, so I asked the rescue if they thought she might like a friend. They first suggested a male kitten, but then they rescued a ton of cats from a hoarder (over 50 cats in a shed, apparently - multiple rescues took cats in) and there was one fluffy grey boy cat (1 year old) they posted that the rescue owner thought might be a good match. So I met him, he got neutered, I came home from a weekend away, and Rosa has a brother! His name is Jake:

He is SUPER friendly and affectionate, just a really lovely cat. We did slow introductions per all the guides, and it worked amazingly well. The first time Rosa saw him (in his carrier) there was hissing and growling, so we didn't do any visits for about the first week and Jake lived in the bedroom/bathroom while Rosa had the rest of the apartment. Eventually, she was making tiny little mews at the door, and I let them have a quick visit, which went great - tails up, no hissing or growling, no aggression! (Ok, he did surprise her once and got a hiss for it, but it was over in 5 seconds.) Rosa in particular has been SUPER interested in Jake and I think it's really improved her confidence.

I think they're ready to be home alone together while I go to work, which is actually quicker than I'd expected (about 3 weeks) but while they're not grooming each other yet, they're super friendly and the most action we have is quick chases every so often (the one doing the chasing changes!) and some mild playing.

2. This one is kind of still blowing my mind... I CAN PET ROSA! Under specific circumstances, but y'all know how much I've been working with her since I got her last August. Since February, I've been doing my best to pet her with a wand toy (like you do to socialize ferals, lol) and this month she started letting me do it regularly, so I was able to sneak my hand in every so often. Eventually she stopped hissing when she noticed my hand, and this week she stopped needing the wand at all! It's only on the cat tree (no spontaneous pats while she's prowling around) and it's only for a few minutes before she warns me away with a hiss or a swat (never any claws, because she's secretly a sweetheart), but she LOVES it while she's into it and I can only imagine that seeing me petting Jake either told her it was safe or made her jealous. Picture proof:

The apartment is much fuller with an extra cat, but I love having a cuddle-bug around who sleeps on my bed (although he's only 1, so we also get the zoomies at 5am where his favourite game is attacking my feet).

Our only problem is that poor Jake has a sensitive stomach, so we've been dealing with diarrhea whenever he eats regular wet food. I switched him to chicken and rice for a while, and my vet recommended a gastroenteric diet that we're trying because I am VERY tired of chasing him around wielding a wet paper towel. But overall there are two happy cats here who share the cat tree nicely (though I will get a second one so that they can both be tall) and get along really well. And I can actually physically interact with them both!!!

Not sure what else to add... Rosa still hasn't had a full physical exam from the vet, since I have yet to get a sufficient dose of sedative into her, but she is under my awesome vet's care and seems very fluffy and healthy. I can report that is is SUPER soft and cute, and drools when you pet her. Overall, I'm a pretty happy cat mama. :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Welcome Jake! I loved reading all your news. This is wonderful. You have made monumental progress. You’re a great kitty Mom. I can certainly tell the difference in Rosa. Petting her now! :yess: Saving Jake not only have him a wonderful life but it helped you with Rosa. I can imagine them having a bit of a play chase back and forth. This is so heartwarming to hear. They are both beautiful kitties. I hope Jake will adjust to his food. I imagine that he previously had a limited diet. He’s had some very big changes in his life for the better so, hoping his tummy will settle.
You know you made me laugh at the mental image of you running behind him with a wet paper towel! Sorry! I know it isn’t fun :alright:but just the image of a fluffy tail trying to elude the wet towel monster behind him! I have a black fluffy boy and I have done the same chase before. I just can’t make my boy understand that a wet towel is a GOOD thing. :lol: Eww! Thank you for giving us such tremendous good news about you and your babies. Congratulations to all! :heartshape:Love the photos!
Updates will be greatly enjoyed when you get time!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
and Rosa has a brother! His name is Jake:
Great news! Jake's adorable. :catlove:

This one is kind of still blowing my mind... I CAN PET ROSA!
:woohoo:That's wonderful !!!! :woohoo:

(although he's only 1, so we also get the zoomies at 5am where his favourite game is attacking my feet).
LOL. Hope you can keep his nails trimmed. ;)

Our only problem is that poor Jake has a sensitive stomach, so we've been dealing with diarrhea whenever he eats regular wet food. I switched him to chicken and rice for a while, and my vet recommended a gastroenteric diet that we're trying because I am VERY tired of chasing him around wielding a wet paper towel.
Fingers crossed the gastroenteric diet helps. :crossfingers:

My Ruby girl has a sensitive digestive system too, and though I didn't have to chase her with a paper towel, she had cow patty like stools until the vet suggested trying a canned hypo-allergenic cat food, which literally solved her problem overnight. The protein is duck, which she'd probably never had before, so didn't have an allergy to.

She mostly eats the canned food, though for "treats" she does get some gastrointestional kibble. It's still a bit of a "science" working out the portions, as too little wet, or too much dry, brings the softer stools back. But 99% of the time litter box deposits are normal.

Overall, I'm a pretty happy cat mama. :)
Sounds pretty much purr-fect. :lovecat: :petcat: :heartshape:

Thanks for the update.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird lol it's not fun but I'm sure it's hilarious seeing me try to get this cat to show me his bum! Poor guy. I'm hoping we can get him settled on something consistent soon - he's a bit underweight according to my vet and could stand to gain a bit. But despite the paper towel, he's SUPER affectionate and adorable, so I can't complain too much. And he seems to have really helped Rosa feel more comfortable! It's been amazing to watch them get to know each other. They're still cautious (except when the chases get a bit too rowdy, lol) but I think it was absolutely the right call for Rosa to have a cat friend around.

rubysmama rubysmama What food did your vet suggest? I just asked in the health forum about what to do for Jake, because the gastroenteric food seems to not be helping (though I may just be impatient haha). And don't worry - the vet trimmed his nails when he saw him, and my feet are under blankets, so the damage is only to my sleep, not my feet!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about trying Jake on a raw diet? Obviously it's something you'd want to talk with your vet about but it might help Jake, one of my Cats went through a real rough spot with constant vomiting and diarrhea and none of the prescription foods helped (ZD, ID, hydrolyzed protein, etc.), but after I switched her to a raw diet it all stopped.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama What food did your vet suggest?
This is the canned food the vet suggested, and that cleared up Ruby's loose stools, literally, overnight. It has to be bought through a vet, so it's a bit pricey, but totally worth it, as it keeps Ruby's digestive system happy.

Feline Hypoallergenic Selected Protein Canned Cat Food - Royal Canin

And this is the dry food I give her as "treats":
Feline Gastrointestinal Moderate Calorie ™Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin

There's also a hypoallergenic dry food, but I've never tried it.
Feline Hypoallergenic Selected Protein Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on adopting Jake and your progress with Rosa! Thanks for sharing the good news with us. It's always nice to hear positive updates.

At first, with Juniper, petting was strictly limited to the cat tree, too, and she would occasionally give a gentle nip when she got overstimulated. All that is in the past now, and she's a little cuddlebug who loves lap sitting, petting, and chin scratches. So it sounds like you're well on your way with Rosa, and I'm sure that having Jake around will make the process even smoother. Good luck with his diet issues.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien Right now my vet doesn't recommend a raw food diet, but I'd consider it if it comes up. Fortunately we're still early in the process!

rubysmama rubysmama Thank you!!! Jake's Purina is also vet-only and a bit pricey, so I'm sure the switch wouldn't be that big a deal.

Etarre Etarre Aw, I'm so glad Juniper has made so much progress!

Just an update from today... Rosa has been following Jake around, pretty much forcing body rubs on him, and I caught him grooming her neck just a few minutes ago. AND, she's accepted pats while on the couch twice! I think she must have really needed love and affection for a long time and now she's finally ready to get some. <3

(They did have a short skirmish over the top of the cat tree, which just reinforces to me that we need to get a second cat tree ASAP. But at least even that was very quick and nobody was hurt.)