Extremely Skittish Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird I'm so happy for BJ that he'll have a chance to have a long, healthy, safe life but I cannot imagine how tough things are for you two right now!!!

Everyone - THANK YOU! I know we're at this point because of the good advice I've had on this website.

Rosa just came out and we had a small game of laser chase! In daylight!!! And again she came right up close to me for treats. I tried putting one on my fingertips and she even came and SNIFFED it, but wouldn't eat it - she ate the one or two I dropped right in front of me though. My little princess. :loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really Love how this relationship has moved along between you! You're doing so well, both of you!

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More progress today - I was sitting on the couch eating a snack that included cheese strings and Rosa was sitting on the arm of the couch (across the couch from me - it's a fairly big couch but she's only lately started sitting there for more than a few seconds). I threw her a little piece or two, which she LOVED, and then I put a piece on my fingertips and she came and sniffed it VERY thoroughly. She didn't take it, but I felt her little nose on my fingers!!! Voluntarily!!! And since then, she's explored the actual couch once or twice, coming almost right up next to me, clearly looking for more of this magic cheese stuff. I seem to have finally found my bribe treat!!! :yess::bliss::insertevillaugh:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Wonderful. Sounds like your "extremely" skittish cat is just a little bit skittish now. ;) :catrub: :hearthrob:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, I'm so happy to hear that you two are making such amazing progress in getting to know and trust each other. Somehow, I always think that the rewards are greater with getting to know cats who aren't the easy, friendly 'lap cats' right away. Many of the most initially skittish kitties will be the most loyal, amazing friends to us once they come to trust us....

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No major updates, but I wanted to share this video of Rosa acting like a silly kitten last night - as you can see from the video, I was sitting right nearby! I feel like we're so close to a breakthrough. She was so funny all last night - we played with the laser pointer, she got treats (both normal ones and some cheese), and she prowled around and stayed in the living room with me ALL night. :lovecat:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news. Take heart if there are apparent regressions. My shy boy Barry will be almost cuddly at times - really playing and getting into pets and then will seem like he is actively trying to avoid me the next day. I don't read anything extra into it - he's just being a cat.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minor update with some progress (?? I think?): I did the 'treat throwing' trick again yesterday, where after we played laser tag I threw treats closer and closer to me. By the end, she was RIGHT below me (I was on the couch), so I risked a pat on her back. She wasn't expecting it so she was quite surprised and bolted a ways away, but she didn't hiss at me or swipe, so, not the worst outcome? And she only glared at me for a little while because she wanted more treats and came back. She's fully happy to walk around the house if I'm sitting still now, so that's been nice!

Still haven't brought myself to force contact the way the rescue owner told me to. I'm too much of a softy! I don't want to stress her out or have her associate me with anything negative.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you sit on the floor? If you can, throw some treats and lure her close and for the last couple, put them in your hand at your fingertips and your hand flat on the floor. I don't know why, but it was the hand on the floor bit that let Barry relax and take a treat - hand in the same spot 4 inches off the floor was no good. Crazy cats.

Another thing I did with Barry (and Duncan too, but he was different) is that anytime we walked past each other, I would reach down and touch him. Usually just a hand or fingertip along his flank and maybe around his tail if I was lucky. I never reached ahead or out for him and only did it if he was right next to me. I think the let him know he was safe, I was safe, and that I would, basically, go away.

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured it was time for an update again! Rosa and I have been doing well, even though some new things have happened:

1) The pet sitter I'm hiring for Christmas came over for a meet and greet. Rosa was NOT thrilled. He is a lovely older gentleman (who works with an insured company) but his voice was quite loud and he was the first visitor I've had since she came home. However, he knows not to approach her or try to pet her and I will leave him a list of things to do when he visits daily - other than food/litterbox, he can put music on for her, hide treats around the house, put blankets on the clothes-drying rack... lots of stuff that doesn't involve interacting with her. I don't think she'll be ready for that.

2) My best friend visited last weekend for about 3 days. I was worried Rosa would hide the entire time, but she actually did come out and investigate and do her rounds checking out the living room as long as we were quiet and sitting on the couch! She didn't let my best friend get too close, but I was really proud that she felt confident enough to still be around.

As for me and Rosa, we're getting there, but it's slow going. When I think back to my first post, I have to feel proud of all the progress we've made though! These days she spends almost all her time out in the living room where I am, either in her cat tree or roaming around the living room. We play with the laser pointer a lot since it still seems to be her preferred option, although sometimes I think she just plays for 1-2 minutes so she'll get the treats that come after playtime lol!

I started sitting on the floor to throw treats to her, and that's been a bit tough for her - we're definitely not at a point where she'll come too close to me right now. She's also started wanting to 'hunt' her treats more - she loves when they land near her mat so that she can pounce on them and bat them back out. Still, even in the last few days we've had some progress - she's come and sniffed my hand while I've been sitting on the couch, and even jumped up on the couch to investigate something right next to me! I've been extending a finger for her to sniff when she's on top of her cat tree, and that usually goes OK, but I got too close the other day (just about a centimeter away from the finger touching her) and that was no bueno. Hiss hiss hiss, the usual - I honestly just find it endearing now hahaha.

Her favourite toy right now is an elastic hair band which she can spend HOURS chasing, carrying around in her mouth, pouncing on, and generally defeating. What I'm happiest about is that she's playing more and more, and she's willing to play when I'm in the room. She still enjoys her nighttime romps, but she'll also chase things and run around when I'm awake, and that's great to see her confidence growing. Oh! She's also started to sometimes make little mewing noises at the birds outside!!! I haven't heard her meow EVER except for when I brought her home (she yowled all night for 3-4 nights) and the night after the flea crisis (again, yowled all night). It's SO cute to hear her vocalize a little bit.

One day I'll be able to brush her, I hope!!! She's so cute and fluffy that I just want to cuddle with her. One day!

And a nice picture because she's honestly a sweetheart when I'm not violating her boundaries!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, definitely a paws-itive update. :hearthrob: And it's not unusual for cats not to hang around when strangers are in the house. She also may end up feeling more confident around women than men, since she lives with her mom. :hearthrob:

How long will you be away over Christmas?

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rosegold rosegold Thank you! I love reading about Chai and Chilli too - they are so beautiful and such a huge inspiration to me as a success story. <3

rubysmama rubysmama I honestly was just so proud that she didn't hide the entire time my best friend was here! The guy's voice was quite loud so I didn't blame her for not coming out when he was around, but knowing that she was comfy enough to do her 'rounds' (she does a little figure-8 investigation of the living room) when my best friend was in there without me was really nice.

I'm going away for 2 weeks at Christmas. I wish it was less time but we alternate years between Toronto and Oklahoma, and it's an Oklahoma year, so it's a longer trip. :( I'm sure it's going to be harder on me than on her, and the pet service is VERY thorough and well qualified, but I'm still worried.

I also just signed her up for a mobile vet service since I've been really worried about getting her to the vet if anything happens. It's not super pricey and this way, the vet comes to her (with the monthly fee, two visits a year are included, which spreads the cost out over the year too), so at least she doesn't have to worry about the trauma of being taken to the vet. I think she's probably still really scared of being returned again, and I want her to know that this is her home, period.