Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, we were a little worried. That's encouraging that Apple gets excited when she sees you. Yeah, I guess the trap will be the best idea. I hope it works. Does the kind lady tenant that feeds her have any ideas? Maybe she could help.
I don't think she realized Apple won't come in. She said, "I see her laying by your door, " so I think she was under the impression I was leaving the poor kitty outside by choice. I explained to her that she won't come inside, but I am working on it.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The infection in her ear may have returned, and I'm guessing she may need another course of antibiotics. It's important to get her back to the vet as soon as you can.

Whenever I use a humane trap to trap a cat, I put a green towel on the floor of the trap and cover it with grass, twigs and dirt. You may also need to put some branches and grass on top of and around the trap. If you are using a pet carrier, do the same, though she may not go into a pet carrier again since the last time she went in it resulted in a vet trip. Camouflaging the Trap is very helpful. Put her favorite food or treat in the back of it. I have never had to withhold food to trap a cat, and I've trapped over a dozen. I always have left dry food in a bowl away from the trap, and then put something irresistible inside of the Trap, like tuna fish or chicken breast. Just be nonchalant about the Trap and act normally towards her, feeding her her regular food in her regular bowl.

I hope you will consider enlisting the help of the neighbor who also feeds her. It is much easier to catch a cat if two people are involved. You can set her carrier upright, vertical, with the door open and a towel inside. Your neighbor can be next to the carrier. You can throw a towel over apple and scoop her headlong into the carrier, and your neighbor can close the door. Yes, Apple will not like it. But your goal now is to get her back inside. I have used this method with a neighbor once, and it worked well.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about anything, but would someone else feeding her be a hinderance not a help? If you were the only one feeding her, she would be more dependent on you. That was my first thought, but I'm not sure.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in this case a neighbor helping to feed Apple is a good thing. The OP is planning to move in a few months, and if the cat isn't caught by then, at least there will be someone to feed her. Also, maybe the neighbor will have some success in either trapping the cat, or helping the OP to trap the cat. IMO, there can never be too many people to help care for a feral cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you possibly teach Apple the word "Hurry" in an excited voice? It might get her to come inside the door. It works with my cats every time, they come running to see what I'm going to show them. Cats are really curious. I even got them to go in their cage on demand with the word hurry. They think it's exciting. :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Just touching base - still not in yet; my boy ran out again the other night and he darts after her (only wanting to play), but I guess he scared her. I have not seen her for about 2 days - or maybe that neighbor lady is feeding her. She was fine last time I saw her, though.

I am sorry, wish I had better news. Just wanted to check in.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws - I surely wish we'd hear some good news about Apple. She's been "gone" nearly two months now, after having been inside for fifty days. :(
I do the best I can. I would like some good news, too. :redheartpump:

Her "brother" darts out every chance he gets, not sure what has gotten into him (he is neutered).

Her "sister" is having a tad of blood in her stool, so I need to her her to the vet, as well.

I am quite stressed about my babies.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One positive note: I think Apple's ear problem has cleared up - last I saw her, her hearing seemed normal again. She could hear me tapping the window from several feet away, whereas before she could not.

Of course, she will have another vet visit once I get her...:caticon:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, he wants to be with his sister. That's a good sign.
Try to think positive. You can do this. :)
I wish she felt the same way! It is odd, when she was inside, they got along fine. But outdoors, she runs from him. I know her senses are hightened, but I would think she knows it is him?

Well, he is not supposed to go out, anyways. :help: He is my "problem child".

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a cat tree for her, it is in her room. I hope she likes it. It is quite tall. :catlove:

She is more of a "bush dweller", but I want her to have the option of being up high if she wants to.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be nice if her brother could get her to come inside. Wishful thinking I guess. :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just think her senses are too hightened. Outside, she sees everyone as a predator except for me and the neighbor lady. But that is a good thing.

I know once inside, she and her brother will be buddies again.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will help or if you've already tried it, but another TNR trapper will occasionally use a laser pointer on hard-to-trap ferals. You can be at a distance, get them chasing the red dot and guide them into the trap (or indoors) before they realize it. I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for it.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that you consider your resident male cat to be her brother, but she might not feel that way right now. I would advise that when you are trying to get her inside your home, that you enclose the other resident cats in a room. She is obviously feeling threatened by him, and running from him. You need to keep them from her until you can get her back inside your home.

Have you spoken to the neighbor who is also feeding him, to try to devise a plan to catch Apple? Two heads are much better than one. There comes a time when we have to totally put aside our own feelings of fear and anxiety in order to do what is ultimately best for a cat we are trying to get indoors, in order to provide a better life. Now is the time to plan to seriously try to get apple inside your home, before you move away.