Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
The drop traps I have seen have a lift gate at the far end. You position the humane trap or cat carrier up against the lift gate door, open the door and the cat is to run inside. You then use a sturdy barrier to prevent her from exiting the carrier while you close it.

Here is a video too
Pardon me for butting in, however, both of those drop traps depicted above apparently have an inherent and dangerous to kitties, design flaw. Neither of those drop-traps have a clearance block underneath the bottom sides to prevent tail damage should the trap, drop, over the kitties' tail.

Before I fabricated my drop-trap, I reviewed many different traps on the InterNet, and the best was that designed by a vetinarian, and all of the well made drop-traps that I found, include a 1 inch clearance block underneath to allow space for tails. If the blocks doesn't exist, add them or don't buy or fabricate. Four little 1 inch tall peices of wood, one on each corner of the bottom side of the trap that will land flush on the ground. Its not high enough for the kitties to get out but they do sometimes put their little paws out. If the trap is light weight, they might tip it over. Good trap design is a balance between kitty safety and the ability to properly perform its function, meaning it should have some top weight to prevent tip-over and the blocks. So if you buy a drop-trap or make a drop-trop, be certain that the trap incorporates the blocks....ya don't wanna cripple the kitty by smashing the tail-end of its spine...that would be a horrific life-long bummer.

I use FixNation promoted, designed by www.neighborhoodcats.org (Mdl: 608NC) 'Tomahawk' galvanized wire transport trapping cages, Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Traps :: 608NC - 36" Cat Trap Designed by Neighborhood Cats Organization which are also equipped with a guillotine style back door. (Avoid the pricey 'accessories' unless ya just wanna give'm some money...)

Another issue that isn't obvious, is that when one or more kitties become trapped, they literally run amock. On the far wall of the trap, the well designed traps, employ a 'gulliotine' style up/down slide panel door with (shielded) handle on top-edge, so that a trapped kitty can't either claw or bite ya while opening or closing the door.

I place the Tomahawk transport cage, with the guillotine door pulled out, positioning the cage directly behind the drop-trap up/down sliding door, which is down the keep the trapped kitties from escaping. I mounted four large eyebolts bolted through the back of the drop-trap around that door, so that I could use bunjie-cords to hold with good strong tension the two traps together.

Immediately after trap drops, place a large bed sheet completely over the trap, this will greatly calm the trapped kitties, reducing their stress level.

Making certain that the drop-trap and the Tomahawk transport cage are securely fastened together with the bunjie-cords, (the transport cage is not yet covered, part of the escape psychology trickery), open the drop-trap sliding door, by pulling it up, the drop-trap door being 'open', the kitties will run through it. They will run with some velocity, often hitting the opposite side of the Tomahawk transport cage, thinking that it is an escape route seeing the outside world through the wire; that is the purpose of the bunjie-cords, to hold those two traps together. I have seen the kitties hit the wire cage with enough force to literally pull the two cages apart momentarily, but the bungie-cord immediately snaps them back together tightly.

Immediately push the drop-trap sliding door down, closing the route back into the drop-trap. While being careful not to catch any other other kitty attempting to escape into the already one kitty filled Tomahawk.

Cover the Tomahawk cage, and then re-fit the back sliding door and lock it with the supplied locking safety-pin. I also tiewrap it shut at the bottom, just in case!! The vet will cut the tiewrap off when cage is safely transported into their facility.

Have ready the same number of Tomahawk transport cages as the number of kitties that you intend to capture in the drop-trap operation. One kitty per transport cage.

Most TNR clinics, perhaps all?, (such as FixNation in Sun Valley Ca) will not neutor/spay feral kitties which are transported to them in anything other than a wire transport cage, as the vets have no recourse other than to put their arms into the cage to sedate the kitties to work on them, whereas with the wire cage they stick them with a sedation syringe through the cage walls in complete safety. Its good for everybody.

Sincerely

Alpha Kitty
TNRist

alphakitty

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions, def worth a try! I have tried Feliway and calming chews with zero change noted. Gabapentin zonks her out where she can be picked up (had to give her that to take her to the vet), but I still felt like she was scared - just too zonked to protest.

I just want a little something to take "the edge" off for her so she will venture out into the living room, but not zonk her out.

I won't have a 2-bedroom apartment for long, so I want her to get used to mingling in the living area with her brother and sisters.
Through the years of socializing feral kitties, both inside and outside (after TNR), that consistency of action, judicious of application of tastey treats and moderated play can be very successful. I especially enjoy playing with them. Kitties love challenges I've found. So, simply playing with them isn't enough to keep their interest. I've found that constantly changing the play challenge, while never attempting to touch them, allows them to make their own decision about their own safety. I make use different types of toys, and I consistently use one word to convey to the kittie/kitties play time...'Wanna play?' Or 'Lets play'.

I take a thin dowel and I affix a fairly long thin cotton or nylon cord (upwards of 15 feet, any length I don't require for a specific play, I just roll up) onto the end of the dowel...long thin stick, about four or five feet long. Variously, I attach different types of play things to the cord end. Sometimes I just put a brightly colored tiewrap on the end with a little loose loop, kittens love to chew on tiewraps and they are biologically safe too. At other times, I've used large gauge ring-tongue terminals (for weight) tie-wraped onto the cord, so that I can toss the rope 15 feet away to drag it slowly across the floor, around objects, which kitties love to hide behind, in predatory play, and other times, generally later in the socialization process, I'll use a feathered object, which I drag on the floor, and a bit out of their reach, causing them to jump for it. I always allow them to catch the play thing initially, but then I make a bit more difficult, thats when they forget that I'm the bad guy, and I become a coveted play partner!!! Playing with them is in my opinion, the best way to socialize a kitty. Not to mention the fact that it is very rewarding, I enjoy playing with the little skunk-rats as much as they enjoy the play with me.

I have socialized fully grown feral cats using this method, although they do take a bit longer. Feral kitties, typically around two or three weeks, and they follow me around like dogs. I have a colony of 12 socialized TNR'd community kitties in my large, grass and tree lined, fenced back yard, along with 7 racoons, and about 10 opossums (all colony food theives and yard crappers). I'm working to resolve that problem, without having to kill them, although I'd like to wring their scrawny little food theivin', poop'n necks.

Try the play, increasingly challenging. You'll both love it.

Alpha Kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alpha Kitty, thank you very much for all the tips! I have never used a drop trap, but would consider it if needed. I am a big fan of the Tru-Catch 30LTD. The problem is she has been trapped 3 times now. Once when someone TNR'd her and twice from me (trap and carrier). Now I need to catch her for 4th time! :runaround:

Today went well - I actually thought she was going to run inside. She did not run when I opened the door to bring her dinner. She looked inside, but did not enter. This is a very good sign that perhaps she will come in very soon. :vibes:

alphakitty

Young Cat
Purraise
Alpha Kitty, thank you very much for all the tips! I have never used a drop trap, but would consider it if needed. I am a big fan of the Tru-Catch 30LTD. The problem is she has been trapped 3 times now. Once when someone TNR'd her and twice from me (trap and carrier). Now I need to catch her for 4th time! :runaround:

Today went well - I actually thought she was going to run inside. She did not run when I opened the door to bring her dinner. She looked inside, but did not enter. This is a very good sign that perhaps she will come in very soon. :vibes:
Play with the little guy. Open both ends of the trap, put the play toy through the trap, drawing it slowly through, getting the kitty's attention, pull it through several times, allow the kitty to completely walk through without trapping. After a day or two of this type play, close one end of the trap, feed the play cord through the the closed door, and out through the entire trap exiting through the open door end. The kitty will follow that toy right into the trap, without any fear of being trapped as you allowed the little baby to play in there without being trapped, and then pull the trap trigger rope. Cover the trap with a light weight sheet to enable air through it.

To create the trap-trigger, disconnect the rod mechanism that releases the trap door, then place a paper-towel roll under the door affixed to a pull rope. Besure to play with the kitty using this arrangement so that the little guy becomes accustomed to it. Trust me, this will work like a charm. I've used this arrangement numerously to take my outdoor buddies to the vet for annual checkups, colds...all the things we do for our little friends, in and out.

Sincerely (and lots of luck)

Alpha Kitty

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sweet black paws, can you put your kitties away and leave the door open at dinner time? Maybe not paying attention to her will make her come in.
I know Walli wandered in before I got her in, she went all the way into the master bedroom/bath, freaked me out a bit I just froze. :lol:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with Walli. As much as you consider your male kitty to be Apple's brother, she may not see it that way. They may have learned to coexist while she was inside your house, but she may still be leery of him and your other resident cat. I think you should leave her regular food right outside your door so she doesn't go hungry if she doesn't come inside, but also leave a trail of her favorite treats and Foods leading deeper inside your apartment, leading all the way back to her former room. Confine your other cats inside another room. Then you sit somewhere near the proximity of the door, but act as though you are asleep. If she starts to venture inside, do not open your eyes, do not make a single sound or movement. If she gets further back into your apartment where you can jump up and close the door, do so. If not, then just let her come as far inside as she is willing to come, and then allow her to leave. Do this for several days, and after a week or two you should be able to jump up quickly enough to keep her inside you apartment.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sweet little girl is doing fine, but she has not come inside. I am starting to feed her near her carrier again. The food trailing only brought in bugs and 90 degree heat. I'll get her....I was just hoping she would come in willingly.

I agree with you all about not letting her see the other cats. I may have made things worse by thinking she would be happy to see them.

I hope to have a good report very soon - she does seem friendlier this time around - I honestly think she missed me!
:redheartpump:

She is "talking" more, too. :angelcat:

Don't worry, I'll get her back in!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My sweet girl is doing great, but I still have not caught her. I hope you all aren't upset with me, it's just been difficult as this is her fourth trapping. I will extend my lease if I have to - I am not leaving her. :hearthrob:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No silly, we would never be mad at you! We are just on the edge of our seats, hoping everything goes okay. I just had a thought. Maybe act like you don't want her to come inside. Then she'll want to sneak inside. You know, reverse psychology? :D
That's a thought, I have never tried that. I am forever calling her, and trying to lure her in with treats. Lately, I am back to feeding her near the carrier, trying to trap her again. She is getting there, but as always, it is a process.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try what I suggested - -confine your other cats to a room, open your apartment door, put tasty food inside, sit near door with eyes closed and ignore her, and if she's far enough inside close the door? Just wondering if this might work for you.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did confine the others, put yummies inside, allowing enough room to close the door. I did sit, and she stared, but would not come in. Then, the next day I thought I would try "hiding" behind the door, but she was on to me and never came in. I guess she knows my human scent. :ruminating:

I will try again tonight instead of using the carrier - she usually comes around for dinner about dusk.

Just so everyone knows, she is doing very well! It is too bad she is too smart for her own good! I just want to say, "don't you know I love you and just want you back inside??????" :hugs: