Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job!

I know how hard you have to work to get these wee babes to trust you. So firstly congrats on this step.

I haven't read the whole thread but did the first few pages, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not...

One thing that helped with my girls was to get down to their level as much as you can - sitting for example (if you are physically able) - that often helps them to be less afraid and more likely to come to check you out if you're still.

Excellent job so far. You should be proud! :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes, I am able to sit. She does seem to prefer this. But I need to get her in several more feet before I can close the door. I appreciate the encouragement! This little girl has been through a few trappings, and I would love for her to just come in.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is almost in - we are making progress without the carrier. I am hoping this week - she is not inside enough for me to clear to door - another few inches! I tried too soon and she got spooked, I need to go very slowly....

She is doing great....:hyper:

I'll let you all know as soon as she back inside with her Forever Family....:redheartpump:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is almost in - we are making progress without the carrier. I am hoping this week - she is not inside enough for me to clear to door - another few inches! I tried too soon and she got spooked, I need to go very slowly....

She is doing great....:hyper:

I'll let you all know as soon as she back inside with her Forever Family....:redheartpump:
I don't know if someone mentioned it, and I could be wrong so feel free to correct me, but are you sure you'll 100% be able to ensure that when you make your move you'll have her for sure and she won't be able to escape? Cause this is your only chance and you'll completely lose any other opportunities once the cat realizes this.

Although I could be wrong so someone else can feel free to correct me.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the feral. I've had some that I've given medication too - were annoyed as helk and came back alter for diner and others I didn't see for a week. Depends on how much they decide to trust you... which .. you never know lol. They are tricky creatures.

Be fearless but careful not to hurt yourself ... or da baby.

You can do it!!!!:bunnydance:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been mentioned that this is a process that requires time and patience and careful movement. This situation is unique in that the caregiver has been taking care of this cat for a few years, and the cat actually lived inside her house for about a month. There is also a time-sensitive issue because the caregiver plans to move in 2 months. Hopefully it will all work out soon.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been mentioned that this is a process that requires time and patience and careful movement. This situation is unique in that the caregiver has been taking care of this cat for a few years, and the cat actually lived inside her house for about a month. There is also a time-sensitive issue because the caregiver plans to move in 2 months. Hopefully it will all work out soon.
I will second that. For our ferals, it took anywhere from 2 to 4 months, depending on the individual. Burdock was the easiest, and Prancer the hardest, but all came in by their own choice.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Sweet Apple is doing just fine! Sorry I have been AWOL, a lot going on. First, I am going to be staying here for a few more months (not that it matters, I would have not left Apple behind, regardless), but it does make things easier. :catrub:

Secondly, she is doing just fine, but still won't go in far enough to close the door behind her. I am thinking I have to resort to the trap again, given how long this is taking. It is VERY hot out, she needs to come inside.

On the plus side, she is doing GREAT and pretty much hangs out by my door. More GREAT news - the people with the large, aggressive dog are GONE! There are other dogs here, but they are well-behaved and the owners seem responsible. So I can feed her in peace now without worrying about her getting startled. :yess:

Also, one of the other tenants, a very nice lady, feeds her on occassion. I am not sure how I feel about this since she gives her tuna and things that might not be best for her. Well, no matter - soon she will be inside. :caticon:

Today, I will go to the craft store to try to find some fake foliage to disguise the trap, or something to that effect.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saleri, as a renter, maintenance occassionally comes in for inspections, etc. These visits are mandatory, and if I am at work, there is nothing I can do. But I do get advance notice of when they come, so I can always confine her to her room when that happens.

The chances of her getting out again are slim to none, I think. :happycat:

There is a much greater chance of one of the others getting out, especially her wild brother who is always trying to run out.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another reason I really want to expedite this - I think her hearing is not great. As you all recall, she did have a massive ear infection when I caught her and took her to the vet. Well, sometimes it seems she can't hear me. I will tap on the window, etc., and if she is laying there she won't budge. BUT, when she sees me, she gets excited and "greets" me. :hellocat:

The fact that she has survived out here with ear issues is nothing short of miraculous. I need her in ASAP, and I think the trap will be quicker if I can disguise it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, we were a little worried. That's encouraging that Apple gets excited when she sees you. Yeah, I guess the trap will be the best idea. I hope it works. Does the kind lady tenant that feeds her have any ideas? Maybe she could help.