Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying this hooded litterbox. The price is insane, but if I save up enough Amazon points, I'll probably get it. The cover is see-through. :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the stray/feral cats I have brought inside, do not like the hooded litter boxes. It makes them feel trapped as there is only one way in/out. I would stick to a regular box and just have extra litter mats scattered about.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Shadow. Feral and semi-feral cats would not feel comfortable in a hooded litter box. She used a regular litter box before, I don't see why that would be a problem in the future. I would just stay focused on getting her into your apartment again. Are you able to touch her yet? Being able to handle her would really help.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral's have their own timing they will not be rushed!! :lol:
My feral is still recovering from the crating in May!!
Glad she is doing well!
Not sure about the covered litter box, it could go either way.
she may be afraid of it, or love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll just stick to what she had before.

No, can't touch her. I try to "sneak" pet her on the tail/hindside while she is brushing against the stairwell, and she promptly backs away (she doesn't run away, though). :petcat:

She talks a lot. If she can ever let me touch her, I think she could be quite sociable one day. :anticipation:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great. Maybe try teaching her some words. That worked for my two. They obey several commands including "Get in your cage", which means their carrier.
OMG, that is amazing! My cats only know "are you hungry?" which I say in a sing-song voice before I put their food down.

This sweet feral talks, chirps and "trills". I can't describe it - it is the cutest, sweetest sound. Kind of like a cooing bird?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Walli doesn't talk at all unless she is in a crate
and then she sings the saddest song
Maggie is a lot quieter than Demi, but she was feral for 6 months longer than him. She's usually silent or does this little meep meep, but Demi will do a full-on cry if he wants you to do something.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you are talking with her, why don't you teach her the name of her favorite food treat? My various cats have all known the names of their favorite foods, and if I said "do you want a snack," "do you want tuna," or even the word "catnip," they would come running to me. My cats each have a vocabulary of at least six or seven words they understand, and my more intelligent ones closer to a dozen. If you could teach her to respond to the name of her favorite food, perhaps one day she would follow you into your apartment.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will teach her the words FANCY FEAST. She just killed a squirrel, it was horrible. It is amazing - as often as she gets fed (not counting what other people might be feeding her), she still hunts. Ugg...I just had never witnessed it before. :frown:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Miss Apple is doing just fine. She is still enjoying the outdoors and since I renewed my lease, I can relax a little bit. She won't use her bed that I put out, prefers the dirt. Sleeps in the dirt next to the bed, lol! :think: She is mesmerized by all the squirrels and birds. I hope you all are not angry with me, I DO consider her my cat and I do want to bring her in, but for now, she is enjoying life and the time contraint has been removed. :happycat: I love her and will never leave her. :petcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No , not angry at all. You have helped her! That’s a great thing. I just saw that she got a squirrel. Uh! So sorry you had to see that. I hope she didn’t eat it. The one thing you might keep in mind is that eating stuff from outside can cause her to pick up things like worms. I know she loves outside but you don’t want a vet bill so just keep working with her to socialize. I think it is so funny that she ignored the bed for dirt. Typical kitty! I can buy mine something new that comes in a box and they’d rather have the box! :lol: