Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws --How's it going with Apple? Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Now that I think about it, reverse psychology might work. I tamed my cats out in the garage and breezeway and they were really curious to come inside. So maybe act nonchalant and leave the door open? When cats know you are trying to catch them, they run the other way.
Wish I was there to help you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I am so sorry I have been out of touch - between job-searching, interviews and dealing with my other furbaby's health.

Miss Apple is doing just fine, but apparently has several admirers in the building (of the human kind). I have been preoccupied with one of my other cats, and have a vet appointment Monday. I promise, I will continue to work with Apple.

I will keep you updated regularly, very sorry! Very stressed....

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My other furbaby is losing weight and not eating much - I am hoping it is her thyroid, which is easily treatable. We'll find out Monday....

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been "sneaking" pats to Miss Apple, on her back. She is not crazy about it, but she might be getting used to it. I am almost certain once she is living back inside the apartment, she will be a lapcat one day. :caticon::redheartpump:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending vibes that it's something easily treatable with your other furbaby. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

That's good that Apple is "letting" you pat her, and that she's seeing other humans. That should make the eventual transition to a permanent indoor cat easier.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure I would call it "petting", I have to be very sneaky about it and run my hand along her back while she is facing the other way. Then she quickly turns around and makes an odd sound (probably telling me to back off), but does not run away. :sunshine: I see that as progress.

Yes, I will keep you all posted on her "sister" after the vet Monday, although I probably won't get the results until Tuesday. I am hoping it is something easily treated like hyperthyroid (she was borderline last time). :vibes:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about you and your cat, wondering if you could scare her into your house? I think you said you have a hallway to your apartment, If someone approached while she was out there would she run into your house?
prolly a long shot, but I think of weird things at times :lol:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli,

I actually had thought of that, but she has been out for so long that I would rather put her directly in her safe room, at least for a few days in case she "forgot" how to use the litter box, plus my other cats might scare her.

Most of the pressure is off since I renewed my lease - I can take my time in catching her - long story, but I had to order another trap . She is doing GREAT, though. She just finished a snack and is lounging in the sun right now. :catlove:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
11 months. It's going to be tight, financially, but I am glad.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So almost a year, that's a relief. Let us know what's happening with Apple, maybe we can brainstorm and think of something. All the things I tried with mine just popped into my head.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walli, that is very kind of you. I am in Florida, but things will be okay. She really is a happy girl, and I still want her inside, but I don't feel as panicky about it now since there is no time constraint. Long story short, I had to order another trap and never got it Tru-Catch 30LTD. They said they are waiting on the steel??? Anyways, how are the Have a Heart traps? Should I order one of those? I leave her carrier out with twigs, etc., as MsAimee suggested and it did attract her, but I botched up the capture (another story). :oops:

BUT, with all that being said, she is doing GREAT. She lounges in the sun and is still enjoying her Fancy Feast (upgraded from Friskies, which she also likes), plus whaever else she is getting from the neighbors, lol! Don't worry - you all will be the first to know once I get her inside. But the weather has been nice, and she is enjoying herself for the time being. :greenpaw:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tru-catch finally sent me a shipping email, so the new 30LTD is on its way! My carrier-catch method got botched - I am too old and slow, lol! Some of the other traps I don't care for - they have rough edges, hard to put together, etc. I lent the old 30LTD out, but never got it back (long story).

I will try the grass/twigs thing again, she is attracted to that. Should I mix catnip in the mixture as well or perhaps she will find that odd? She is VERY smart! :ruminating:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it goes. Demi loves catnip, he comes running from the other room when I take the lid off, so yeah I would give it a try. :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will add catnip to the grass/twig mixture to hopefully speed things up. I just hope she remembers how to use the litter box once inside again! If not, no big deal - she learned in two days when she was first brought in.

Should I get her a hooded litter box to feel more secure? My other cats don't use them, but maybe she would like it since it would provide her with a more secluded feeling (even though she will be in her safe room again)? :fish: