Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 35 21.6%

• Total voters

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
With the exception of Neely, who needed her own room being the diva that she was, all our other litter boxes have been in the bathroom. In fact, every time we moved the first thing we'd look at would be where to place the litter box or boxes in the new home. You know you're a cat lover when this is what you think of first. :wink:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have one tray in my bedroom, the logic being that if Mouse felt threatened or someone else was staying in the apartment spare room or anything then my room was his 'safe space'.
Since a friend moved in with me for a while and brought her two cats we added another 2 boxes, one in her bedroom and a third in the sitting room. The cats voted with their paws though and only ever used the ones in my room and the sitting room so we have ended up just keeping those two. Lucky me. :rolleyes2: I could swear my friend was bribing the kitties with snacks somehow, so they didn't use the box in her room. :lol:
All three cats use both boxes, and Mouse and the older of the two visitors have to put up with the minxy kitten getting in to the box, right beside them, when they are busy doing their thing! :eek2: :nono: We are incredibly lucky that the 'big guys' are totally chilled out dudes and ignore the pesky invader when he decides to join one of them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We actually keep one huge litter box in our master bath TUB, and the other in the closet of the "cat room", which is on the 2nd level. So one box on each level of the house.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
I moved here with nine (cats) and now the family is only three plus me. I've kept the boxes, though -- one in one bathroom, three in the master bath, one in the master bedroom, one in the guest room, and one in the laundry room. It guarantees freedom of choice for all!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I close other. My cat lives outside in an enclosure. When he is not there, he is on my screened in porch. The litter box is up next to the wall on the porch.. It works well for him. In extreme weather he spends the night in our heated/cooled garage in a large cat pen. Then his litter box is in the cat pen with him.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not voting because I currently don't have a cat.

BUT when I used to have a cat (last cat I had I was about seven I think) we used to keep the litterbox in the guest bathroom. We also used to feed the cat there and 'isolate' him there when someone who has a phobia of cats would come over (which we have a lot of in this damn family; although, fortunately, we don't get many visits; I think it was mainly during my birthday).

I think it's a bad idea now tho, considering the 'guest bathroom' is now my most-used bathroom and I don't want to cat waiting outside (or inside) while I take my sweet time. So I'll just lurk here till I get a good idea where to put the litterbox should I get a cat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if our cats could pick a location they would likely pick a central area in the home so they can mark their territory right in the middle of where everyone usually hangs out. They would probably also prefer an uncovered box so they have multiple views and escape routes while they’re doing their business.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not voting because I currently don't have a cat.

BUT when I used to have a cat (last cat I had I was about seven I think) we used to keep the litterbox in the guest bathroom. We also used to feed the cat there and 'isolate' him there when someone who has a phobia of cats would come over (which we have a lot of in this damn family; although, fortunately, we don't get many visits; I think it was mainly during my birthday).

I think it's a bad idea now tho, considering the 'guest bathroom' is now my most-used bathroom and I don't want to cat waiting outside (or inside) while I take my sweet time. So I'll just lurk here till I get a good idea where to put the litterbox should I get a cat.
Oh Darkiplier Darkiplier -- how can you endure it? Seriously!!! I couldn't. I'd just shrivel up and get like a dried spider in the corner. Couldn't live a day without CATS!

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I keep one box under the breakfast table in the kitchen and another box in the spare bedroom just outside the closet. She hasn't shown a definite preference for one over the other, though. I have a miniature trash can beside each to make scooping easy.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted bathroom. When I first got Tama and I was at my old house I kept it in the bathroom. When I moved to where I live now I kept it in the kitchen. He was an indoor outdoor cat and mostly went outside until he got older and didn't go out as much. After he passed a year ago from cancer and I got Manny I decided that I wouldn't let Manny out unsupervised so he's basically indoor. I had a spare bedroom that I use to keep the door shut all the time and just used it as storage, but decided to make it the cat room. It has a bathroom with a stand up shower and I just put it in the shower. So he has his own bedroom with a bath! tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 where did you get that big litter box in your pics? Looks like you have 2. One in the bathroom and one in the laundry room. I've looked all over for one like that. Or, did you make those out of a tote?

The cat room. Bathroom is to the left of the left window.
IMG_4795.JPG IMG_5064.JPG

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in a one bedroom apt so not many options. They like to go where I spend most my time, bedroom and bathroom. Seems to work

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i chose 'bathroom' and 'other'. we have one giant litter box (as in a huge plastic storage container -- something like 45 gallons, with no cover, and with an 'entry' cut into one side and then sanded down smooth so no rough edges -- with the lid to the storage container used as a tray underneath the litter box, just as an added precaution...to avoid any potential 'accidents' over the edge of the entry of the litter box) in what would be considered the master bedroom -- it's a dedicated cat room, with everything from cat trees to scratchers, many cat toys, and etc. and we have two in the downstairs bedroom (addition to the house), the same type and size litter boxes. we have a fourth litter box (same as the rest) in the bathroom. i sleep in the living room, near the heat of the wood burning stove during the cold weather months and the coolest area in the hot weather months. :D

edited to add: so, we have 4 giant litter boxes, for 3 cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
i chose 'bathroom' and 'other'. we have one giant litter box (as in a huge plastic storage container -- something like 45 gallons, with no cover, and with an 'entry' cut into one side and then sanded down smooth so no rough edges -- with the lid to the storage container used as a tray underneath the litter box, just as an added precaution...to avoid any potential 'accidents' over the edge of the entry of the litter box) in what would be considered the master bedroom -- it's a dedicated cat room, with everything from cat trees to scratchers, many cat toys, and etc. and we have two in the downstairs bedroom (addition to the house), the same type and size litter boxes. we have a fourth litter box (same as the rest) in the bathroom. i sleep in the living room, near the heat of the wood burning stove during the cold weather months and the coolest area in the hot weather months. :D

edited to add: so, we have 4 giant litter boxes, for 3 cats.

What did use to cut it and sand it down?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did use to cut it and sand it down?
i used tin 'snips' to cut the entry to the litter boxes, and i used a round sander stone (drill) bit in my power drill to sand the edges smooth. i wouldn't say the process was particularly hard, but it also wasn't 'quick and easy'. i also used duct tape around the storage bin (going around the outside of the storage bin several times), just below the entry i'd cut, for extra support. once the cat litter is put in it, the storage bin side near the entry can bow outward a bit over time -- so the duct tape holds the side with the entry in it more 'in place'/as it should be. i absolutely love these litter boxes! they're about 2 1/2 times the size of a (very) large litter pan available at the stores, and very easy to scoop and clean.

my snips are similar to these (and mine weren't expensive) -- Aviation Snip Set (3-Piece)-NB3PCSNIP - The Home Depot

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose "kitchen", but actually is the dining room, where we have our meals.
The litter box is in a corner, opposite to the corner where Pallina has her dishes. We chose this location because it's the room where we close Pallina in when we go to bed, so she has all she needs in one place.

Litter tray.jpg

We chose to embellish the corner with some floreal and nature decorations. A friend of mine's wife loves to make these decorations on any kind of material, it is called decoupage. She we bought two panels of polycarbonate, or synthetic glass, which is perfectly transparent, she created the decorations with paper and paints and the result is a garden with flowers and little birds on one side and three kittens atop a dry stone wall on the other side.
In one of the power sockets is the night lamp to keep the room not completely dark at night :)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of my favorite topics because people are so particular about box location but for the cats box location is even more important!

We have long boxes set up in our living room. They are not hidden and are in plain sight. We have one upstairs in a bedroom corner that gets used much less but is there for emergencies in case the door gets closed or they feel an urgent need.

I've saved myself from a lot of pain and anguish by having boxes in plain sight. I can tell if any toileting behavior is off right away. With male cats obstruction is a great concern. I got my cat to the vet in time after seeing him trying to pee little bits. Having the box right in the room where we watch tv and use the computer might've saved his life. I also have an easier time getting fecal samples for the cats' annual wellness checks because I know when each cat is using the box.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats and all three have there own litter box, that they use, pretty much. My problem is, when I took a feral cat in, I had a litter box in the bathroom where she stayed. As time when on she got use to us and moved out of the bathroom. I put the litter box in my entry way so she could find it, but she never used it. She went downstairs, and that's where she goes. Now my problem is the other cat decided to us this litter box, but I need to put it somewhere else. Does anyone have any hiding spaces to put something like this. I really don't want this in the house where people can really see it. I have been thinking of everything. Litter boxes are big so its not that easy to hide.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first year I adopted my cat, I put his litter box in my bedroom since he wasn't really allowed to explore without my presence. But now that we're in a new place, I don't want his litter box in my room due to it being a carpet so it's in the living room now.