Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 35 21.6%

• Total voters

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My apartment has two walk-in closets in the living room. One is the "cat bathroom", with three litter boxes.

My last apartment was smaller. I used a litter box cabinet and kept it in the living room.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a spare bedroom that I use as a home office. The closet in that room 'hosts' the cat's litter box. She has easy access and privacy there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 6 cats and 7 litter boxes! Mine are all over the place. On my main floor and bedroom, I have the boxes in litter cabinets. I have 3 of these

I recently moved and the previous owners had cats too. In the basement they made a small closet under the stairs. They then added a small cat door on one side and a regular human door on the other. I have 3 littler boxes in there. The cats love it and it also keeps the dog out!

I used sterlite storage boxes in the litter cabinets and then concrete mixing tubs for the basement space. My cats are all long and a regular cat litter box just would not work!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a small 700 square foot condo. I used to have two cats but I had to put my sweet boy to sleep 6 weeks ago. So I only have one cat now but I have 2 litterboxes.
My bathroom is so small, I would not be able to fit a box in there. And I really, REALLY do not like having litterboxes in my bedroom. So I keep the two in my living room & kitchen.

Living room litterbox (Refined Feline Litterbox Cabinet XL):

20180428_155602.jpg
And the kitchen litterbox is inside of an unused, lower kitchen cabinet. I leave one door open so she can get in there:

20180428_155725.jpg
20180428_155748.jpg

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have four cats and six boxes--two in bathrooms, two in outdoor enclosures, and two in the Cat Room.

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I realize this an old thread but since I just took the survey, I have a question. Why does Living Room have an asterisk next to it? The LR seems to be the second highest vote for location, so therefore I wonder. As a apartment dweller with limited space, I am forced to have it there, otherwise I would place it elsewhere. Is that what the asterisk means? LOL.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I realize this an old thread but since I just took the survey, I have a question. Why does Living Room have an asterisk next to it? The LR seems to be the second highest vote for location, so therefore I wonder. As a apartment dweller with limited space, I am forced to have it there, otherwise I would place it elsewhere. Is that what the asterisk means? LOL.
I think that the asterisk marks your choice in the survey.
My page has an asterisk next to "kitchen" that was my vote :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi everyone! I realize this thread is old, but I ask a question specific to those of you who use a cabinet to house your litter boxes. I see that most cabinets have vent holes so our kitties can still breathe while they are in their stirring up litter dust and I need to know how well these cabinets actually hold down that dust OUTSIDe of the cabinet. I need to move one of our litter boxes into our Master Bedroom Closet, and want to know just what to expect when it comes to our clothes hanging in there :paranoid:. right now that litter box is in our tub, which we would like to be able to use every now and then, but the litter dust accumulates very quickly on the bathroom counters. I know some of thoes pieces of furniture actually have filters you can place over the ventilation holes, which is good for us humans, but does that keep the dust low INSIDE the box so the cats can breath well when doing their business?

Additionally, does anyone have one that has a slide out tray for easy access to scooping it out? Us older folks don't bend down as easily as some, and when scooping at least twice daily, it can be a problem. Hubby already has had four back surgeries, and he insists on cleaning their box :rolleyes2:

Thank you so much (anyone who responds) BTW, I did find ONE box with a true slide out shelf, but it costs a fortune. That's because it's custom made (and it doesn't have any vent holes :frown:. Of course I love my cats dearly, but I'd rather spend my hard earned money on their food rather than a piece of furniture they could care less about.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I realize this thread is old, but I ask a question specific to those of you who use a cabinet to house your litter boxes. I see that most cabinets have vent holes so our kitties can still breathe while they are in their stirring up litter dust and I need to know how well these cabinets actually hold down that dust OUTSIDe of the cabinet. I need to move one of our litter boxes into our Master Bedroom Closet, and want to know just what to expect when it comes to our clothes hanging in there :paranoid:. right now that litter box is in our tub, which we would like to be able to use every now and then, but the litter dust accumulates very quickly on the bathroom counters. I know some of thoes pieces of furniture actually have filters you can place over the ventilation holes, which is good for us humans, but does that keep the dust low INSIDE the box so the cats can breath well when doing their business?

Additionally, does anyone have one that has a slide out tray for easy access to scooping it out? Us older folks don't bend down as easily as some, and when scooping at least twice daily, it can be a problem. Hubby already has had four back surgeries, and he insists on cleaning their box :rolleyes2:

Thank you so much (anyone who responds) BTW, I did find ONE box with a true slide out shelf, but it costs a fortune. That's because it's custom made (and it doesn't have any vent holes :frown:. Of course I love my cats dearly, but I'd rather spend my hard earned money on their food rather than a piece of furniture they could care less about.
I don't use these so I do not know, @mrsgreenjeans, but you may want to visit one of my favorite sites for all things "cat" at hauspanther.com, where there are many links to companies that make these cabinets in many different styles. Here's a more direct link to what you want to look at: Gear Guide • hauspanther. I would not put a litterbox in a closet, but that's my personal preference. I wouldn't put one in the living room, dining room or kitchen, either, but again, that's just my preference. Mine are in bathrooms, bedrooms, and laundry room.
My ex and I built a modular outdoor "vacation station" for housing free-roaming cats who needed to be kept safe while recovering from surgery. We had a door with a hook and eye attachment that you opened and the litter box could be slid out to change and clean. It worked really well.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just use a dustless litter. I think that would solve most of your problem. It's better for your cat also.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small 700 square foot condo. I used to have two cats but I had to put my sweet boy to sleep 6 weeks ago. So I only have one cat now but I have 2 litterboxes.
My bathroom is so small, I would not be able to fit a box in there. And I really, REALLY do not like having litterboxes in my bedroom. So I keep the two in my living room & kitchen.

Living room litterbox (Refined Feline Litterbox Cabinet XL):

View attachment 228981
And the kitchen litterbox is inside of an unused, lower kitchen cabinet. I leave one door open so she can get in there:

View attachment 228982
View attachment 228983
Netflix and poop!
:crackup:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a single box in a litter enclosure. And then she got old with arthritis and I took the door off. And then she contracted a stomach bug this summer and she got an extra box put out and a poopcam so I can see if I need to seal her off in poop jail: kitchen shelves stood on end and wired together like a baby gate. She can jump it when she’s feeling well but no so much when she’s pooping rivers.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still use 3 litter box enclosures. I have 2 on my main floor and the 3rd in my bedroom. I love them. Yet I have needed to modify them to work for my cats. First off the product is made of pretty cheap mdf. So I have another board on the bottom of the enclosure. This is to protect the cheap mdf from any pee that would get onto it. Previously I had just lined the bottom with either a garbage bag or litter mat. These did not do a good job. Eventually the drops of urine would get onto the mdf and eat away at it. Also it made it stink. This time around Dh cut a piece of plywood to fit inside. I also lined the wall with plastic. I have 6 cats and a few are elevator butt peeing machines! Right now I am using large rubbermaid containers that fit inside. They go almost to the ceiling.

As for dust, I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Multi Cat litter. Very little dust. With the large rubbermaid container, it really keep any amount of dust completely enclosed.

Attachments

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My apt has 2 bathrooms..one main bathroom n one smaller bathroom in my bedroom...n I keep the litter box in the bathroom in my bedroom..the smaller bathroom..no one goes in this bathroom but me n my kitty booo

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks everyone who responded so far. I would love to use a "no dust" litter, but so far haven't found one except for the wood chip ones or yesterday's news, and the cats won't use those, so they won't work :sigh:. I was so excited when I discovered Obikat Litter, and they said to put just about 1/2 inch on top of your existing litter to get them enticed, but once they use it and dig around, that's it, it's mixed in and then the 99% dust free litter is stirred up and in the air, If I just keep adding a 1/2 in layer then they never seemed to get used to it, AND the litter height just kept getting higher and higher in the box. So, Dr. Elsy's really works? I'm going to pick some up today to test it out.

DH told me last night he's going to hire a cabinet maker to make a cabinet to our specific details. NO MDF bottom, and it will for certain have a pull out drawer-type bottom to easily slide out their rubbermaid box.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone who responded so far. I would love to use a "no dust" litter, but so far haven't found one except for the wood chip ones or yesterday's news, and the cats won't use those, so they won't work :sigh:. I was so excited when I discovered Obikat Litter, and they said to put just about 1/2 inch on top of your existing litter to get them enticed, but once they use it and dig around, that's it, it's mixed in and then the 99% dust free litter is stirred up and in the air, If I just keep adding a 1/2 in layer then they never seemed to get used to it, AND the litter height just kept getting higher and higher in the box. So, Dr. Elsy's really works? I'm going to pick some up today to test it out.

DH told me last night he's going to hire a cabinet maker to make a cabinet to our specific details. NO MDF bottom, and it will for certain have a pull out drawer-type bottom to easily slide out their rubbermaid box.
I use DR.ELSEYS RESPIRATORY RELIEF..CLUMPING CAT LITTER ITS LIKE?$16 for a 20 lb box..it has a tad bit of dust..but NOT much..Cause all the really dusty litters were making me n my cat sniffle...I GET IT ON CCHEWY.COM..CAUSE WHEN I SWEEP UP THE LITTER OG THE BATHROOM FLOOR..ITS NOT ANY DUST...JUST PIECES OF LITTER...WORKS FOR ME N MY BOY SNOWBALL

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My office space has a pretty large closet so I’ve taken the door off and turned it into a toilet for my cats. There are several large litter boxes and my books are all stored on the shelves above. Honestly I rarely even think about poop smell because my cats’ poops barely smell on raw meat. :dunno:

As for dust free litter, I like Smart Cat. But it tracks A LOT. There’s always a give!

I did try Dr. Elsey’s a long time ago and I will say that Smart Cat tracks less for me.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I had the litter box in the bathroom for Franklin.

The new baby had some issues understanding what it was for, since she had always lived outdoors before I scooped her up and brought her home. I also have more access to information about cats and a much more cat-centric life, so I'm using Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract and she has three boxes: one in the bedroom next to the potted plants, once in the kitchen under the sun table where plants and kitty coexist, and one in a corner of the living room.

Yes, it's an eyesore, especially since I also have small dogs and one of them uses pee pads, but feeding them good quality food has pretty much eliminated the odor problem even though it's a small house.

I'm enjoying the photographs of people's cabinets and other attractive solutions. Maybe someday---Willow is only four months old and I like uncovered boxes right now.