• Other

Votes: 35 21.6%

• Total voters

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'd like to run a quick survey (and bump it occasionally) as I'm curious about where most people place the litter box.
I know many of us have more than one litter box which is why I'm keeping the poll open to more than one response. Feel free to add more information in the replies - thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two of our bedrooms have a box each, and we have one at the top of the stairs and one in the inner hallway. 3 cats and 4 boxes total :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli only uses one box, and it's in the upstairs hallway right outside the bathroom (which is too small to hold his giant box).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose "other". It's in the corner of my dining room (which I barely use for dining living by myself) because there's plenty of room, and it's sort of central in the apartment.
20180329_091609.jpg

Lelia's food and one of her water dishes is also in there, but obviously not super close to the litterbox.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a very big litter box, was a storage box originally about 60 x 80 cm.
We keep it at awkward-shaped space under the stairs.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment so we keep it in the living room. I’ve created a partially enclosed space for it using ikea tables so it doesn’t stand out as an eye sore. Most people don’t even notice it when they come over. We’ve had no problems because we feed raw/wet so her poo barely smells. I also think she enjoys being able to mark her territory right in the central area of the apartment.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
When Snake stayed inside, we kept the litterbox in the bathroom and in the basement. At the cabin the cats simply do their business in the bushes.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When I was in a small apartment I had one litter box in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. The house I'm in now has enough rooms that I have one dedicated to the cats and all the litter boxes are there.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two boxes are in an upstairs bedroom and bathroom around the corner from each other. I put them away from public areas in the house. The cats don't seem to have an issue with no boxes downstairs.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two boxes in the basement and one box in the kitchen. I use Fresh Step litter, which doesn't seem to smell. The cats rarely use the box in the kitchen - it's sort of an emergency place - using the basement ones the most. I guess they like the privacy. I have to separate the cats when feeding them, putting Lily behind the basement door. Mingo always has to go right after eating, and if I don't open the basement door fast enough, he will cry and try to open it himself. He passes up the box in the kitchen for the ones in the basement.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep the litterbox in an empty closet. The mat under the box fits the dimensions of the closet perfectly. Also, its a huge box for a tiny cat. I can also keep a small trashcan in the closet. The addition of the trash can makes it so much easier to clean out the box several times a day without having to take out the trash bag each time. I just line the trashcan with the bag and take it out once the bag is full. The trashcan is one of those that you open with a foot lever and it closes when you remove your foot. So no odor!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One is in my bedroom and the other one is at the top landing of the stairs. Considering my bedroom is upstairs, there's not much space between the two boxes but there's actually zero room downstairs to keep on so that's my compromise. :lol:

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep both litter boxes in my bathroom, side-by-side. Not ideal, I know, but it works. If I ever get a larger apartment I'd like to spread out the boxes more and add a 3rd.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I chose kitchen, but it is actually the dining area. I know that doesn't sound appetizing, but it is the only practical place upstairs. [Downstairs is basically a very small hallway to garages my condo is over--no space there.]

I have it separated with a corner shower curtain rod with a liner I cut a bit shorter. It gives her privacy and keeps me from looking at it while I eat.
litterbox corner.jpg
2018-03-29 16.38.08.jpg

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I picked "other". I have one litter box on the bottom of a closet next to the bathroom, shared by two cats. It's easy to clean the box because the bathroom is right there and I pass it several times a day. I have a piece of cardboard wedged over one of the hinges to make sure the door doesn't accidentally get closed.

One box/two cats may not sound ideal, but my cats do fine sharing it. If I see a need for a second box it'll go in the living room probably wedged against the wall between two pieces of furniture. However, the cats use that spot currently as sort of a duck blind for playing with interactive toys or each other. Hate to turn that into a litter box area when it's not needed.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose kitchen, but it is actually the dining area. I know that doesn't sound appetizing, but it is the only practical place upstairs. [Downstairs is basically a very small hallway to garages my condo is over--no space there.]

I have it separated with a corner shower curtain rod with a liner I cut a bit shorter. It gives her privacy and keeps me from looking at it while I eat.View attachment 224838 View attachment 224839
I like your little curtained-off corner idea, LAL LAL - it's a bit like what we have in our house.

We used to keep the litter box in the bathroom with our last cat, but as she got older and got arthritis, we moved it down to the corner of our foyer right next to the bathroom. (To enter our bathroom, you have to step up two steps and our last cat could not handle climbing those stairs comfortably, w/ her arthritis.)

We used to curtain-off the lower portion of a wheeling metal cart with a pair of kitchen curtains attached via velcro, keeping the box on the floor behind the curtains. This provided the cat with privacy and yet still allowed for air flow and easy cleaning. We kept the same set-up with our current kitty, but instead pull up one of the curtains out of the way because Milly likes having open space around the box.

Milly-box.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a spare room that I call the Cat Room. It has a cat tree by the window, the litter boxes, a bunch of toys and a twin bed that Lily likes to nap on. 5 boxes 2 cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy’s litter box is between the kitchen and living room. It was placed there since the first day he came back and his litter box is extra big.

There’s no dead end space so he can go in and out from any side of the litter box. The rugs are there to catch the litter but those that are stuck to paws are still found all over the house :lol:

He uses only one litter box but he has 3 standby for rotation when I clean out his litter box.

991BC5C0-0DD8-4A68-8759-FDB23975BF41.jpeg

These are the arsenals for cleaning the litter box :p

65223C89-C65C-46A5-BFB5-76A667A451AC.jpeg