What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve been thinking about where we want to go with our kids before they are grown. The problem is i seem to have developed an aversion to traveling. Not living near family has meant a lot of tedious and overwhelming travel every year. Carsickness. Etc. I don't know that we will make Alaska or the Grand Canyon; which would require flying and might be easier. But if its a day in the car I’m immediately 😞 about it. DH wants to go back to where we had our honeymoon but its like 3 hours beyond where his family is. One time pre-kids we spent a couple days at his moms, 2 nights in a hotel there, and then back to his moms. They are getting older now and our kids are always excited about seeing their cousins. So I don’t know if we could realistically break up the trip that way anymore. I usually need those days to recover from getting there too. I’m famous for crashing on SIL’s couch. :paperbag: :lol:

DS wants to visit DC and Biltmore. I think they would like seeing lighthouses in the Outer Banks. Niagara Falls was amazing to me as a kid. Plus the Thousands Islands area. So many options; so little time and my own struggles to overcome. 🤪
I get that. For a couple months I had to sort of force myself into this upcoming trip, even though I was the one who suggested it. The lure of home and routine is very strong. But in the end, time building memories with children, adult or not, is precious and not to be passed over.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get that. For a couple months I had to sort of force myself into this upcoming trip, even though I was the one who suggested it. The lure of home and routine is very strong. But in the end, time building memories with children, adult or not, is precious and not to be passed over.
I think it was a little easier when Mooch didn't need such specific care and I could easily get a young adult from church to stay here with her. Of course it's easier having big kids than when they were little. DS got sick every time we visited the in-laws from ages 1-5/6. And as a baby he had such an epic blow out at a rest stop that I had to ask an older woman in the ladies room if she would please tell them an with the little girl outside the door that I needed more wipes and clothes. :cringe::paperbag: it's MUCH funnier now!

It's definitely worth pushing through and I enjoy the places we go to. But whew... I'm also trying to let DH shoulder some responsibility beyond driving. He found our pet sitter last year (a friend who is technically disabled but can come feed and scoop) and he is doing more to pack and clean. So are the kids. The mental load of getting everyone ready and planning for every contingency... its a lot. But I definitely would not trade a single visit. I mean that's how my kids got to know 3 of their great-grandparents on my side. :redheartpump:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody ever use a groomer to do a full lion cut shave on their long haired cat to get terrible mats out? My vet wanted $270!!! The groomer is only $70 to $100, depending on how she behaves and how many people it takes to hold her.
I’m guessing the vet would use anesthesia, which would make it so expensive. I honestly can’t imagine trying to give a cat a full shave like that while they are awake and spitting mad.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anybody ever use a groomer to do a full lion cut shave on their long haired cat to get terrible mats out? My vet wanted $270!!! The groomer is only $70 to $100, depending on how she behaves and how many people it takes to hold her.
We have done full lion cuts on cats before. Depending on the severity of the matting (aka, is this unsafe?) and behavior we have referred to a vet groomer before. If the groomer is experienced with cats, I'd try using them but be very clear that if they need to stop for the day, it's perfectly fine. Some of these shave downs do require 2 or 3 appointments to get the entire haircut done if the cat gets stressed. Surprisingly, the majority of cats we groom are incredibly well behaved.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kwik Kwik my eye is better. Thank you for asking. :)

In the midst of anxiety over my upcoming surgery (almost all nurses have bad backs eventually), something funny happened.

Yesterday, I was sleeping in the guest room because I had to work third last night. Sally got into the room. She jumped up on the bed and I thought, "Oh, well. She'll let me know when she wants to go out." I shut the door and went to bed, too. Now I don't even know how this happened, but we accidentally kissed right on the lips! She immediately jumped back about four feet and you should have seen the look of horror on her face. I laughed. Poor Sally. She wanted to leave the room ASAP. I don't know why. I don't have bad breath. :lol:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik my eye is better. Thank you for asking. :)

In the midst of anxiety over my upcoming surgery (almost all nurses have bad backs eventually), something funny happened.

Yesterday, I was sleeping in the guest room because I had to work third last night. Sally got into the room. She jumped up on the bed and I thought, "Oh, well. She'll let me know when she wants to go out." I shut the door and went to bed, too. Now I don't even know how this happened, but we accidentally kissed right on the lips! She immediately jumped back about four feet and you should have seen the look of horror on her face. I laughed. Poor Sally. She wanted to leave the room ASAP. I don't know why. I don't have bad breath. :lol:
I'm so glad you're eye is better

Sally cat lips did not expect that one ROFL :flail:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy -- Horrible mats, tight to the skin, a billion of them. I'm so devastated and sad. I never noticed, since she doesn't like to be brushed. I never had a long haired cat before. I didn't know they had to be groomed. Dad and I tried to shave her, but our electric shaver just won't cut through. Tried the furminator too.
FB_IMG_1699149447348.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy -- Horrible mats, tight to the skin, a billion of them. I'm so devastated and sad. I never noticed, since she doesn't like to be brushed. I never had a long haired cat before. I didn't know they had to be groomed. Dad and I tried to shave her, but our electric shaver just won't cut through. Tried the furminator too.View attachment 468891
iPappy iPappy would be the best to answer but I'd suggest you begin acclimating her to the brush - first learning it's like a toy and nothing to fear,they all will quickly learn thst rubbing their face on it is wonderful- I start all my kitties out that way,showing to them,I brush my own hair,let them smell it and do their own rubbing

After she is clipped then do thst fun thing everyday & gradually do more and more working you're way down the back,then the sides & before you know it she'll come running when she sees the brush

Especially important with long hair cats so you can prevent matting and tangles- you can't start with a matted coat to teach a cat the brush is a good thing so don't beat yourself up...

Imo it's worth every penny to have her clipped & groomed by a prof for starters

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I exchange things for everything; but what it is varies. I mean we do cards. Birthday and Christmas get physical gifts. Anniversaries and Valentines might be a gift but it could also be candy or something treat like. Sometimes it’s something humorous. I guess its not something big/expensive for those though. Milestone ones might get something bigger.

I’ve seen some younger influencer types exchanging what looks like hundreds of dollars worth of premium stuff from perfumes to kitchen appliances. We don’t go that elaborate but I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money. (Unless they are neglecting their kids and bills and even then not if I don’t have some place in their lives…but that’s getting to another discussion.)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy -- Horrible mats, tight to the skin, a billion of them. I'm so devastated and sad. I never noticed, since she doesn't like to be brushed. I never had a long haired cat before. I didn't know they had to be groomed. Dad and I tried to shave her, but our electric shaver just won't cut through. Tried the furminator too.View attachment 468891
Samai is the same way. I did brush her a lot as a kitten, but as a grown cat, she decided that it's just not for her. I need to get my clippers on her, but I seem to have misplaced my Kevlar body armor.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: Got Maggie in at the Humane Society! Full shave for only $25! Next Friday.
I'm sure the groomers there know full well what they're doing as they have dealt with mats before. Trust me, it happens to even the best owners.
Once she's shaved, just use a plain soft pin brush to get her acclimated to the feel. If she grabs and bites it, it's fine. Pretend she's a kitten and just work on her with baby steps. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose this year, I need too make sincere effort to find something memorable as this anniversary is the 25th. Any reasonable $$ suggestions ?
I don't know if you folks are extravagant gift givers,traditional or mushy mushy intimate keepsake types- I guess more importantly,what's DW's thing?

The traditional 25th is Silver- does she like jewelry? A lovely silver locket ( both your photos)or charm - sterling silver is not so $$$ but if you want to go big you can buy her white gold

After 25yrs we probably have everything for the home but a beautiful silver photo frame with your Wedding photo might be nice- I'd suggest " think silver" and make it personal & memorable.... how about a surprise party or a surprise dinner out and give her " silver roses" ( dyed of course) at the restaurant with a beautiful card and Anniversary cake?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a phone call from my older brother yesterday, and it seems that our sister is not long for this world. By way of explanation, I am the fifth of seven kids, with three older and one younger sisters. The oldest one passed in 2016, leaving two, and it is the third one, the sibling closest to my age, that I speak of. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer a while back, and had treatment for it, but now it has come back. She is at home, under hospice care now. Her and hubby were back East two years ago, and that looks to be the last time I will have seen her in this world, as they live out in Washington State, and we don't travel because of the cats. Ah, the joys of getting old. Yay.

Last edited: