What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think getting her hooked on one of two series-- as in my age group: Nancy Drew ( I am old)--- would perhaps get her more focused? perhaps a couple books from Amazon, and then a gift card to Amazon, just for books? Or specify that the GC is just for books, which interest her. This way, she can take her time, on line, to see what may interest her? Just a thought..
I misplaced this post! I tried Nancy Drew because she likes mysteries; even ones set in other times, but she didn’t take to that one for some reason. I think she has a partial gift card for Amazon too. I tried sending her a few links to books id heard good things about. With my son sometimes that has the opposite effect! :rolleyes2:

We got to a Barnes & Noble over the weekend and she picked 2 books. One was a 2nd in a series but the other was found just browsing. We might do better browsing if it was just the 2 of us. My husband has little patience for it. Meanwhile my son had $60 worth of books in his hands from a series he’s really into. One I found first that DIDNT backfire. I could tell he was so skeptical when he opened them on Christmas morning. He wanted to ignore them but one was on the Alamo and he’s really into that right now… so ha! Got him. But he did only get to take home 2 for now. 🤪

She is my bigger reader so you’d think it would be her with arms full. Its just awkward bridging the gap between middle readers and stuff for older teens. Some just really isn’t appropriate or clean. I am tempted to see if she is ready for some Jane Austen. Maybe in a year.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I misplaced this post! I tried Nancy Drew because she likes mysteries; even ones set in other times, but she didn’t take to that one for some reason. I think she has a partial gift card for Amazon too. I tried sending her a few links to books id heard good things about. With my son sometimes that has the opposite effect! :rolleyes2:

We got to a Barnes & Noble over the weekend and she picked 2 books. One was a 2nd in a series but the other was found just browsing. We might do better browsing if it was just the 2 of us. My husband has little patience for it. Meanwhile my son had $60 worth of books in his hands from a series he’s really into. One I found first that DIDNT backfire. I could tell he was so skeptical when he opened them on Christmas morning. He wanted to ignore them but one was on the Alamo and he’s really into that right now… so ha! Got him. But he did only get to take home 2 for now. 🤪

She is my bigger reader so you’d think it would be her with arms full. Its just awkward bridging the gap between middle readers and stuff for older teens. Some just really isn’t appropriate or clean. I am tempted to see if she is ready for some Jane Austen. Maybe in a year.
I absolutely flip when I read about your trips to Barnes & Noble or the Library vs taking the lazy way out and doing everything online- in my mind we lead by example and it's so refreshing to know there are still hands on proactive parents teaching their kids socialization and the real word instead of a virtual reality

You are a wonderful Mom- your children are thirsty for knowledge and a high praise to you watering your little flowers😘God Bless you!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sensitive to weather changes and pressure? I usually notice it with seasonal changes only but a few days lately its been there. Like a consistent headache in the background and I’m not sure how to explain the rest. Excedrine used to be the only thing that helped even though it was often more annoying than painful.
Maybe. I'm also on my time of the month, and I think I used to get headaches sometimes, so it's probably a combo. I ended up taking some Tylenol last night and I'm a bit better today.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I misplaced this post! I tried Nancy Drew because she likes mysteries; even ones set in other times, but she didn’t take to that one for some reason.
I am SO sorry! How old is she, again? Perhaps one of the "cozy mysteries" would be good for her. No cursing, no sex, no loving descriptions of violence and its aftermath. And some are quite humorous. I highly suggest the Miss Fortune series by Jana DeLeon.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO sorry! How old is she, again? Perhaps one of the "cozy mysteries" would be good for her. No cursing, no sex, no loving descriptions of violence and its aftermath. And some are quite humorous. I highly suggest the Miss Fortune series by Jana DeLeon.
Thanks I’ll look it up and see what she thinks! I remember reading Agatha Christie at her age but it was just one book. I like that her tastes are more varied than my own; but it does make it harder to guide her. Hopefully she’ll get comfortable browsing physical books and digital eventually. The glazed eyes are more overwhelmed or just out of her element than anything I think.

I actually see a lot of adults reviewing middle reader books these days. So that’s nice. YA seems more of a genre than an age guidance. She’s not there age wise anyway. But man its going fast.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks I’ll look it up and see what she thinks! I remember reading Agatha Christie at her age but it was just one book. I like that her tastes are more varied than my own; but it does make it harder to guide her. Hopefully she’ll get comfortable browsing physical books and digital eventually. The glazed eyes are more overwhelmed or just out of her element than anything I think.

I actually see a lot of adults reviewing middle reader books these days. So that’s nice. YA seems more of a genre than an age guidance. She’s not there age wise anyway. But man its going fast.
I still re-read several YA books I've had for years. I find them so enjoyable without some of the more "adult" content that most adult books have. Just pure, plain, clean fun and/or silliness!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second car I ever bought was a Toyota. I have bought Toyotas ever since and never came across this issue. I went to raise my windshield wipers for the upcoming snow last Monday and one of the wipers is mounted so low, the hood blocks it from being raised.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still re-read several YA books I've had for years. I find them so enjoyable without some of the more "adult" content that most adult books have. Just pure, plain, clean fun and/or silliness!
I am seeing a lot less clean YA books now. And hearing the same from other parents and readers. Like reading a Harlequin with teenage characters. 🥴 Sometimes finding older books helps!
If you're looking for an excellent mystery.....

View attachment 468386
We have a local used bookstore in a thrift market. (About 45 minutes away.) They keep a section of books wrapped in plain paper so you don’t know what you’ll get. I think its fun but I didn’t try it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YA seems more of a genre than an age guidance. She’s not there age wise anyway. But man its going fast.
Perhaps she'd like the Trixie Belden mysteries. They are for younger readers. I didn't much care for Nancy Drew, as I found her to be a bit prissy, but tomboy Trixie won me over! They're still available.

Check out the cozy mystery genre, for sure. Cursing consists of such things as "Well, He...Heck." A murder description might be, "Yes, he was dead. Quite dead. There was no mistaking it." And sex? I can deal with, "And then we didn't talk anymore. The next morning..." And so many of them are very humorous! The Miss Fortune series, which I am reading for the 10th (yes, really) time STILL makes me LOL! The Bubba Snoddy series, which is new to me, was the same way, to a slightly lesser degrees. Many of the culinary-themed cozies contain recipes, and those based on different crafts include projects to make at home!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps she'd like the Trixie Belden mysteries. They are for younger readers. I didn't much care for Nancy Drew, as I found her to be a bit prissy, but tomboy Trixie won me over! They're still available.

Check out the cozy mystery genre, for sure. Cursing consists of such things as "Well, He...Heck." A murder description might be, "Yes, he was dead. Quite dead. There was no mistaking it." And sex? I can deal with, "And then we didn't talk anymore. The next morning..." And so many of them are very humorous! The Miss Fortune series, which I am reading for the 10th (yes, really) time STILL makes me LOL! The Bubba Snoddy series, which is new to me, was the same way, to a slightly lesser degrees. Many of the culinary-themed cozies contain recipes, and those based on different crafts include projects to make at home!
I actually just downloaded the first of the Miss Fortune series! Book #1 was free for kindle, and while I do like the feel of the physical book, my bookshelves look like bloated ticks begging for mercy. And you can't beat free!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually just downloaded the first of the Miss Fortune series! Book #1 was free for kindle, and while I do like the feel of the physical book, my bookshelves look like bloated ticks begging for mercy. And you can't beat free!
Before I purchased my previous home( that I miss very much- hate Condo) I leased a wonderful home that had a library room- oh how wonderful that was since I had an immense amount of books accumulated over my lifetime- my last home I had plenty of room but since the downsizing ( to here) I had to part with them-I still go looking for a particular book for reference ahd realize I no longer have them..

There was nothing as serene as that library,curled up with a good book surrounded by sleeping cats,dogs and my little Nicky( ferret)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before I purchased my previous home( that I miss very much- hate Condo) I leased a wonderful home that had a library room- oh how wonderful that was since I had an immense amount of books accumulated over my lifetime- my last home I had plenty of room but since the downsizing ( to here) I had to part with them-I still go looking for a particular book for reference ahd realize I no longer have them..

There was nothing as serene as that library,curled up with a good book surrounded by sleeping cats,dogs and my little Nicky( ferret)
I've always wanted one of those floor to ceiling bookshelves with the little ladder on wheels that you could roll around on to find what you're looking for.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted one of those floor to ceiling bookshelves with the little ladder on wheels that you could roll around on to find what you're looking for.
You would have liked thst house- the library was a sunken room (down 4 steps) so the ceiling to floor was extra -almost 2feet and yes it had a rolling ladder - back wall was rounded - very unique home... Shoulda purchased that one but seller was asking far too much( wouldve been worth it though in the long run),much more profitable for him to rent so he really had no intention of selling unless someone paid his ridiculous price

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking online at hotels, I seriously wish the reviews were consistent - one will have 5 stars and a raving review then the next says they would give zero stars if possible. Guess stick to the chains then at least you kind of a have a clue as to what you can expect.
You mean like a Hilton ,Marriot or Hyatt,something like that ?Wyndham in Florida are nice too

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve always had good experiences with Fairfield Inns. My stepmother used to work on the road for 2 weeks of every month so she racked up a lot of loyalty points with places and she got us an upgraded room at one once. Their breakfasts have been pretty good too.
How did I miss that?! I guess I didn’t see it browsing from my phone. I downloaded it now