What's going on with me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My laundry didn't come very clean. It's still got cat hair all over it. What am I doing wrong? I used Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Detergent, 1/3 Cup measuring cup. Did I use enough soap? It's an HE front loader. Is it because I used cold water or because I overloaded the machine? Is it okay if I don't rewash everything? I'm so tired. My OCD is saying rewash, but will it be okay until next time? I'm really overwhelmed. I was never allowed to do laundry all those years, but now I have to do everything! Plus I am just getting over Covid. Do I need fabric softener and dryer sheets? I didn't use them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might be because it's a front loader, and possibly from being overloaded? What did you choose for cycle speeds? I don't think you want to use more soap, and fabric softener is ok as long as it doesn't cause skin issues, but I tend to avoid both softener, --or use just a tiny bit, and sheets for anything a cat will be on, especially the scented products. Wool balls work well in the dryer.

As long as odors and other soiling came out and are no longer present, you don't need to rewash.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't smell any odors. I just don't like that Demi's hair is all over everything. I usually use permanent press cycle. 55 minutes. I used cold water though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to rewash, just use dryer sheets next time. You can also put them in the dryer now, even if already dry with some sheets. They help to remove static cling and pet fur off fabrics. And for especially furry items use 2-3 sheets. There are things like dryer balls...some made of wool, some made of rubber that claim to help with fur.
When I'm about to wash any significantly fur covered items (cat blankets, bed covers etc..)...I do a quick vacuum first to eliminate the fur before even going into the wash...otherwise my machine ends up with a lot of cat fur in it that needs to be wiped out before putting the next load in.
And just a quick reminder, if you're new to doing so many loads of laundry, get into the habit of checking and emptying the lint trap before every dryer load. Dryer fires are more common than people think and you would be surprised how much fur and lint can accumulate after just one load, depending on the fabric.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing...It's not so much the washing machine that eliminates fur...it's the dryer. Some fur will drain out, but wet fur will still stick to wet clothes...it's while drying that it's gets sucked out and trapped by the filter/lint trap.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you have Covid. I got it about two weeks after my booster. It's relentless, I swear.

There's a FurZapper thing that has good reviews, but I've never used it. I do use wool dryer balls when I remember, but I don't care enough about the fur to notice if they make a big difference when I forget.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your clothes, too. I have a pair of black jeans that always have cat hair on them. Washing and drying doesn't get it off. I have to use a lint roller to eliminate it completely. The rest of my clothes don't attract fur like that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do use wool dryer balls when I remember, but I don't care enough about the fur to notice if they make a big difference when I forget.
Ditto! I'm so used to fur on my clothes that unless I'm going somewhere special I don't care either.

I have a pair of black jeans that always have cat hair on them.
Same for me. I would wash and dry my black pants for work and thought they looked clean until I walked into school under the fluorescent lights and noticed fur all over them. :eek2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash the cat blankets separate from my laundry. If they are really loaded with cat hair I run a lint brush over them before washing because I don’t want it all going down the drains and clogging them . Even with that and some thpat comes off in the dryer, the fleece seems to retain a small amount of cat hair.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody. I will try the dryer sheets. We have a lifetime supply of them that mom left behind. I also have liquid fabric softener, Downy.

Yes, I always wipe the lint trap with a paper towel after every load. I don't have to clean the washing machine do I? It seems like it would be self cleaning. I never wipe it out. Ha!

The worst thing about Covid is the runny nose! I thought it was gone, but it came back. I have to blow my nose a billion times a day. So annoying when I'm trying to get my chores done.

I have to give my high school friend a ride to get her truck fixed Wednesday. Do you think I will still be contagious? She's counting on me to pick her up after she drops off her truck at the body shop. Then we are getting lunch & coffee.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto! I'm so used to fur on my clothes that unless I'm going somewhere special I don't care either.

Same for me. I would wash and dry my black pants for work and thought they looked clean until I walked into school under the fluorescent lights and noticed fur all over them. :eek2:
No outfit is complete without cat hair. :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody. I will try the dryer sheets. We have a lifetime supply of them that mom left behind. I also have liquid fabric softener, Downy.

Yes, I always wipe the lint trap with a paper towel after every load. I don't have to clean the washing machine do I? It seems like it would be self cleaning. I never wipe it out. Ha!

I have to give my high school friend a ride to get her truck fixed Wednesday. Do you think I will still be contagious? She's counting on me to pick her up after she drops off her truck at the body shop. Then we are getting lunch & coffee.
Downy is great, but I use the used dryer sheets to wipe out the lint filter. You don't need to clean the washing machine. Mine is over 30 years old and I've never cleaned it.

My son and his wife quarantined themselves for five days after they tested positive for Covid. You were sick for several days before you tested positive, so you will probably be fine by next Wednesday.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have to clean the washing machine do I? It seems like it would be self cleaning. I never wipe it out. Ha!
I'm not sure about HE front loaders, but most washing machines do get mineral deposits and there are products you can run through the wash cycle to clean it out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were sick for several days before you tested positive, so you will probably be fine by next Wednesday.
Good because I can tell she is worried that I'm gonna flake out on her and she will be stranded without her truck. I've flaked out on her a billion times before and canceled plans. I really need to keep this appointment with her. I've kept all my appointments so far this month. It's a miracle!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is dad allowed to give me spending money if I'm on Food Stamps? I got them, but I haven't spent them yet. I didn't get the welfare money part of it. That's much harder to qualify for. I have to do a billion things and have it returned to them all within 10 days!!! That's impossible right now. I'm not well enough for all that. They also wanted me to meet with a job recruiter and get papers notarized, meet with a doctor and get a note. All that will take time, since my doctor moved away. I told her to go ahead and close my case and I will try to get on disability instead.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'd probably be fine by Wednesday, but you could test again and wear a mask just to be safe.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My brothers aren't coming because I have Covid.
Sorry that you have Covid. 🤗

Has your friend had Covid yet?
If so, she might still have immunity and not be apt to catch it again yet.
If not, and if she's worried about catching it, you could both wear masks while in the car, and even open the windows if it's not too cold.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your friend had Covid yet?
If so, she might still have immunity and not be apt to catch it again yet.
If not, and if she's worried about catching it, you could both wear masks while in the car, and even open the windows if it's not too cold.
I don't know if she's had it yet. Oh heck no, we can't open the windows!!! It's in the 20s here!!! :lol: