What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artiemom, Rubysmama and Rubysmom, thanks for all of the information. I will send it to my sister to handle it. I need to start speaking up for myself. For lunch today I had broccoli, white rice and egg noodles which I won't eat because of the eggs. Actually the food here is pretty good and most of the people here are nice. I'm in Fredericksburg, VA. now and will not be going back to MD. The assisted living I am staying in has good ratings and they are cheaper than any other place my sister could find. My brother lives here and my sister is moving to the area. The orthopedic doctor I went to here will not do the knee replacement surgery because he said my knees were too bad for him to do so. He wants me go to see another doctor in the. area to see if he will do the surgery. I am still waiting to hear from him..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I need to start speaking up for myself.
Remember "squeaky wheel gets the most oil." I feel so bad and you shouldn't have to repeatedly go through this day after day. I hope your sister can talk to the appropriate staff. Everyone needs a good advocate. :hugs: Perhaps she can make a list of your food preferences that way they will have something to go by.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It warmed up here quite a bit today,and he's been in his bees all day...neither one of us is particularly hungry,so I think we're going to have grilled ham and cheese on either rye or pumpernickle/rye swirl.I'll probably have some sliced cuke and tomato with mine.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: Aldi Simply Nature Apple, Almond, Honey granola with one diced up fresh pear and 2% cow milk.

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry sammich- olive oil, black beans, mixed baby greens, orange bell pepper, onion, diced fresh pineapple, cheddar jack cheese, used Italian dressing instead of stir-fry sauce, which was weird.

Dinner: Veggie stir-fry sammich again with diced Aldi chickenless tenders instead of black beans.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
egg noodles which I won't eat because of the eggs.
Are you vegan?

I think nursing homes are required to accommodate special diets, but assisted living places aren't, because theoretically you're free to get your own meals if you want.

If that's the case, and you're allowed to have basic food prep stuff like a microwave, see if you can get a regular grocery delivery. Also make sure you're not paying extra for meals---in some places it's extra and some places it's part of the base price---because there's no point in paying for the little they're giving you.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
neely: I told them what I would like to eat but nothing I wanted was in their budget. I can't even get tomato juice instead of OJ which is not vegetarian.
Get your doctor involved. You are paying these people and they need to provide you with proper care. Tell your doctor to contact whoever is in charge that they need to provide you with a high protein vegetarian diet. They are putting your health in danger. The doctor can report them to the state if they do not.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you vegan?

I think nursing homes are required to accommodate special diets, but assisted living places aren't, because theoretically you're free to get your own meals if you want.

If that's the case, and you're allowed to have basic food prep stuff like a microwave, see if you can get a regular grocery delivery. Also make sure you're not paying extra for meals---in some places it's extra and some places it's part of the base price---because there's no point in paying for the little they're giving you.
No, I am not vegan. I just don't like eggs or cows milk. if I want soy milk I will have to buy it myself. I have thought about getting my own grocery's but I will need to find out if I will still have to pay them for meals. I am not paying for both. There is a microwave and fridge here I can use. My sister brought me some soup I had at home. Last night I had some kind of pasta salad and a tiny bran muffin. The pasta was ok but there was not much of it. About 8:00 last night I got hungry so I opened a can of Amy's organic Chili with vegetables. It was a little spicy but it was the best fòod I had in a long time. I was a food hoarder so I have a lot of food at home.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get your doctor involved. You are paying these people and they need to provide you with proper care. Tell your doctor to contact whoever is in charge that they need to provide you with a high protein vegetarian diet. They are putting your health in danger. The doctor can report them to the state if they do not.
The only doctor i have is here at assisted living. The doctor that told me I need to be on a high protein diet was an orthopedic doctor I went to here in Virginia. He will not take me on as a patient because he will not operate on my knees. They are in too bad shape.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only doctor i have is here at assisted living. The doctor that told me I need to be on a high protein diet was an orthopedic doctor I went to here in Virginia. He will not take me on as a patient because he will not operate on my knees. They are in too bad shape.
Even if he won't take you on as a patient, he may write a letter or make a call on your behalf if you ask him to.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UM...well, I'm up all late yet again, but the jets are no longer taking off over my apartment ever 2 minutes (literally. Marine Air Base, doing touch-and-goes, the end of the runway is less than half a mile away), so I'm going to try the bed thing again if it is stlll quiet in five minutes. It sounds like they are landing on top of the apartment. But last night I have a ham and swiss sandwich. Tonight...not sure. We'll see how I feel when I wake up!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of you who can come up with a meal on the spot are like unicorns to me. I never could go into the freezer/fridge/pantry and come up with anything good to eat. I have to plan my meals for the month beforehand. I can tell you what I'm having for dinner every night of October at a moment's notice. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.