What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young man who was here yesterday swapping over screen doors for storm doors (winter is coming, you know) anyhow he casually mentioned that he found a huge quantity of hen of the woods mushrooms that he sold to a restaurant. So this morning I went foraging in my nearby spot. Must be more rain over in Pennsylvania because I only found one small cluster.

So tonight for our anniversary dinner we will have chicken breast with wild mushrooms and onion. Haven't decided if it will be served with rice or go all out and make risotto.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had spinach, stir fried vegetables and a brownie. The vegetables were so hot I could not eat them. I don't like spicy food and after having two stomach surgeries I can't tolerate spicy food. I don't know why people think that all vegetarians like spicy food. The aide was out of here so fast I did not have a chance to tell her.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: 2 slices Great Value country potato bread toasted, tried adding salt to that yucky banana peanut butter, but it didn't help it. Then I added some diced pineapple to the toast. That fixed it! Weird, peanut butter & pineapple taste good together!

Lunch: Egg & green olive sammich on Great Value sourdough bread toasted. I sliced up the hard boiled egg instead of smashing it like most people do. Mayo, habanero hot sauce, tomato, mixed baby greens, onions, cheddar jack cheese.

Dinner: Can of Progresso Vegetable Soup, habanero hot sauce, diced up veggie burger cooked in olive oil on stovetop, cheddar jack cheese. All mixed together in a bowl.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That pork loin was excellent last night! So good! I did it in the Foodi. And instead of making vanilla pudding, I made baked custard. Rick just loves baked custard; that's why he loves my bread pudding so much....it has a custardy bottom. He inhaled the custard.

The pork loin before cooking....I had poured apple cider in the bottom of the pan. I'm not the best at rolling up and tying a stuffed loin, but it looked OK.
PLOne.jpg

And after cooking. My phone camera shows it much darker than it really was. I don't know why. Regardless, I let the Foodi take over, manually set the temp to 135F, then let it rest for ten minutes to get to 140. It was perfect.
PLTwo.jpg

We have leftovers of everything but the green beans and the custard for tonight. I think I'll just throw together a salad to go with the rest.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had falafel
What is falafel again? I keep forgetting. Is it a frozen meat alternative or something you make?

Breakfast: Kind Honey Granola, one diced Gala apple, 2% cow milk.

Lunch: Stir-fry veggie sammich- Great Value sourdough bread toasted, olive oil, soy sauce, italian dressing, habanero sauce, onion, cauliflower, celery, mixed baby greens, one diced hard boiled egg, colby jack cheese. Hard boiled egg tastes like tofu in a stir-fry!

Dinner: Oven roasted potato, carrot, onion, garlic, habanero sauce. Aldi chickenless patty in frying pan with olive oil & Aldi texas style bbq sauce. So good! The bbq sauce spit all over me though, not sure what I did wrong, I only had it on Medium.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What is falafel again? I keep forgetting. Is it a frozen meat alternative or something you make?
I couldn't live without falafels, lol. :biggrin: They're so yummy and I eat them with everything. They're a good source of protein and fiber.
No, they're not a meat alternative. Here's a description: What is falafel?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My local grocery store had whole pork loin on sale today only for $1.69 a pound. I wasn't greedy...just bought 2,and stuck them in the freezer for now.
That's when I buy mine. I buy one or two when they're on sale and they're huge! I usually divide the loin into 3 or 4 pieces, (about 4 pounds or so each) then put them in food saver bags and toss in the freezer.

I think that whatever Dear Richard makes will be dinner tonight. But we'll see.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't live without falafels, lol. :biggrin: They're so yummy and I eat them with everything. They're a good source of protein and fiber.
No, they're not a meat alternative. Here's a description: What is falafel?
I used to get falafel balls at Walmart in their refrigerator section. They were good. You don't eat meat alternatives do you? I like them and I need the protein.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You don't eat meat alternatives do you? I like them and I need the protein.
Actually there are two recipes I add seitan to because that's the only way DH will eat them with me. I add chorizo seitan to my veggie chili and Italian sausage seitan to my pasta casserole. I'm kind of picky so there's only one brand I will use by Uptons. I will also eat tempeh in certain recipes. I'm not opposed to eating meat alternatives I just don't have them too often.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually there are two recipes I add seitan to because that's the only way DH will eat them with me. I add chorizo seitan to my veggie chili and Italian sausage seitan to my pasta casserole. I'm kind of picky so there's only one brand I will use by Uptons. I will also eat tempeh in certain recipes. I'm not oppose!d to eating!@ m@eat alternatives I just don't have them too often.
I have never tried seitan. Some vegans and vegetarians will not eat meat alternatives because they are processed. That never did bother me because I am a junk food vegetarian. I am trying to do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some vegans and vegetarians will not eat meat alternatives because they are processed.

All the trendy new plant based meat brands are highly processed too but it's marketed as a healthier alternative to real meat :dunno:

Seitan is rubbery and gross IMO. My parents buy a can of the stuff from the Asian market sometimes.

I had salad for dinner tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.