What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spinach lasagna with avocado on the side.
Do you mix the avocado into the lasagna, or put it on top, or take a bite with it?

Breakfast: Aldi Simply Nature Apple, Almond, Honey Granola with a fresh diced pear and 2% cow milk.

Lunch: Veggie Stir-fry- Aldi whole wheat sketti, cabbage, onions, tomato, mixed baby greens, lentils, stir-fry sauce, olive oil, habanero sauce.

Dinner: Leftover Veggie Stoup from the other day with habanero sauce & diced Aldi vegetarian chickenless nuggets added. These nuggets don't taste very good microwaved. So far only the veggie meatballs & hot dogs do. Tofu tastes like crap in the microwave too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got broccoli and half of a small tomato.
Jeez, they are not even trying to make a complete meal. Is there somebody you can talk to and suggest more proteins?

Breakfast: Great Value wheat bread toasted with that crappy banana peanut butter, but I added honey to it and it helped a little. Also half a fresh diced pear.

Lunch: Veggie Stir-fry- Aldi whole wheat spaghetti, olive oil, stir-fry sauce, habanero hot sauce, cabbage, onion, diced fresh pineapple, mixed baby greens, black beans.

Dinner: Veggie stir-fry sammich on Great Value wheat bread toasted- olive oil, orange bell pepper, onion, diced fresh pineapple, mixed baby greens, diced Aldi vegetarian chickenless tenders, stir-fry sauce, habanero hot sauce, pepper jack cheese.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decided I was going to fix a pot roast with all the trimmings for dinner.My dear friend Glenda had given me her electric pressure cooker and I was afraid of it.No more!My roast was done in an hour and the noodles and veggies in 15 minutes.We are impressed!Absolutely yummy!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeez, they are not even trying to make a complete meal. Is there somebody you can talk to and suggest more proteins?
I have talked to the manger but it didn't help much. I asked if I could get veggie burgers or vegetarian frozen meals but was told it was not on their budget. I have my protein drinks my sister brought for me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unacceptible, muffy muffy . If they are not able to provide you with an acceptable protein source for YOUR diet, and you get sick, SUE THEM! And let them know that you will. This should be part of EVERY assisted care facility's budget.

Tonight...I haven't even considered it. Possibly chicken nuggets. I'm a bit "honey mustardish."

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No Wendy's yesterday. Rick forgot to take his wallet and I only had a few dollars in my purse. But Sam had given us some of his smoked homemade bologna and smoked baby Swiss cheese. He said, "Just saute it in a little bit of butter for a sandwich." Oh, so good! I had my sandwich with lettuce and a large chunk of tomato with the cheese on the side. A perfect sandwich! That man does wonders with his smoker.

We may hit Wendy's this afternoon. Not sure. If not, I have two pork chops I can get out of the freezer. And whatever else I feel like dealing with.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unacceptible, muffy muffy . If they are not able to provide you with an acceptable protein source for YOUR diet, and you get sick, SUE THEM! And let them know that you will. This should be part of EVERY assisted care facility's budget.

Tonight...I haven't even considered it. Possibly chicken nuggets. I'm a bit "honey mustardish."7
Thanks mamany1953. I will keep that in mind. Even the rehab place went out of their way to get me some Morning Star products. My family brings me nuts and chic peas and cheese to put in my salads. Also protein drink. It is sure in their budget to get protein for everyone else here. My orthopedic doctor said I need to be on a high protein diet to build up the muscles around my knees.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No Wendy's yesterday. Rick forgot to take his wallet and I only had a few dollars in my purse. But Sam had given us some of his smoked homemade bologna and smoked baby Swiss cheese. He said, "Just saute it in a little bit of butter for a sandwich." Oh, so good! I had my sandwich with lettuce and a large chunk of tomato with the cheese on the side. A perfect sandwich! That man does wonders with his smoker.

We may hit Wendy's this afternoon. Not sure. If not, I have two pork chops I can get out of the freezer. And whatever else I feel like dealing with.
If you do hit Wendy's, order through the app. Free pub fries if you do. It's under the offers

1602069476000.png

1602070032626.png

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have talked to the manger but it didn't help much. I asked if I could get veggie burgers or vegetarian frozen meals but was told it was not on their budget. I have my protein drinks my sister brought for me.
If your assisted living home is taking any public funds, even if it is is not; it is required by law to provide appropriate meals for disabled people, under the ADA.

There has to be a dietician involved in planning the meals!! They have to provide for you. You are paying for it.. it has to be suitable meals.

Can you ask a doctor for a letter stating this: That you are a vegetarian and need high protein diet.. They have to provide.

Where I am living, it is a long process to get them to do so. You have to have them fax a questionnaire to your doctor, you need a doctors note, and you meet with the dietician. If it is a diet they cannot provide, then the tenant gets off the meal plan~~ a long drawn out process, but there are some people who were persistent and managed it. Then you do not have to pay for it.

Good Luck!! (((Hugs))))

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got broccoli and half of a small tomato.
No dessert. Even the aide said it was sad. She went back and got me a salad.
They really go out for the vegetarian here.
Oh, muffy muffy , that is so awful. Despicable. Truly pathetic. The original provided dinner of broccoli and half a small tomato might have been 50 calories! With zero protein. That's insane! Even adding a salad would barely increase the calories, and again provide no protein.

I just did a quick Google search and found some info on assisted care homes in Maryland. The pathetic diet they are providing for you sounds like it fits the description of neglect.

"Neglect includes the refusal to provide the resident adequate food, clothing, toileting, medical treatment, supervision, or other necessary help with the resident’s needs. When abuse or neglect is suspected, you or your family or friends should immediately notify the Adult Protective Services of the local Department of Social Services. The Long Term Care Ombudsman, local police, or the Office of Health Care Quality may also be called".

The above quote is from this link: https://aging.maryland.gov/Documents/ALGuide.pdf

My orthopedic doctor said I need to be on a high protein diet to build up the muscles around my knees.
Food Service and Dietary Provisions:
Programs must provide three meals a day and snacks that are well-balanced, palatable, varied, properly prepared, and of sufficient quantity and quality to meet daily nutritional needs. A licensed nutritionist or licensed dietician must review menus on a 4- week cycle for nutritional quality. Programs must also provide special diets as ordered by a physician or needed by residents. Residents must have access to snacks or food supplements during the evening hours.

Above is from this link: https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/110496/15alcom-MD.pdf

Just from those 2 websites, it's very clear that they are required to provide you with adequate food, and since your doctor has said you need to be on a high protein diet, perhaps he/she can intervene on your behalf. Or have your sister make some calls for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.