What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
All of you who can come up with a meal on the spot are like unicorns to me. I never could go into the freezer/fridge/pantry and come up with anything good to eat. I have to plan my meals for the month beforehand. I can tell you what I'm having for dinner every night of October at a moment's notice. :lol:
I used to do that when I was working, not for a whole month, but for a good week or two. I'd plan the menus and put them on the side of the fridge. And then, if I was using specific recipes, I'd put those cookbooks on the kitchen counter, so they were ready.

Since we're retired, I'm winging it most of the time. I rummage around in the freezer, pick something up, and think, "Hmmm, what can I make with this tomorrow??" I usually get it out of the freezer the day before I plan to use it. That chicken I got from the freezer? I originally thought about chicken corn soup. But then I remembered that we had tortillas in the pantry and I had just done some peppers in the morning and decided to keep some in the fridge. And the fajitas idea was born. Lately, that seems to be how I operate. And as long as Dear Richard doesn't complain, I figure I'm doing OK.

Tonight's dinner will be pepperoni pizza. I'll make the dough ball later on this afternoon. I took a package of turkey pepperoni from the freezer and stuck it in the fridge.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken corn and potato chowder. A little more involved but basically what I did was take a quart of homemade corn cob stock out of the freezer. Added a can of corn. Diced a leftover cooked potato and added it to the pot. Did a chicken breast in the toaster oven, diced and added it to the now rather full pot. Delicious!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: Aldi Simply Nature Apple, Honey, Almond Granola with 1 diced Gala Apple and 2% cow milk.

Lunch: Stir Fry Veggie Sammich- Great Value Country Potato bread toasted, soy sauce, Italian dressing, mixed baby greens, tomato, orange bell pepper, onions, 1 hard boiled egg, pepper jack cheese.

Dinner: My famous huge dinner plate tossed salad- mixed baby greens, tomato, onion, avocado, pickles, dried fruit medley, dried cranberries, 1 hard boiled egg, cashews, chia/flaxseed, red bell pepper, half a fruit cup cherry/peach/pear/pineapple, shredded cheese, 1 diced veggie burger, orange french dressing, italian dressing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We really do need a "drooling" emoji!

There are two: :drool: 🤤

I took this week's subscription meal of chicken paella from the freezer. Not sure yet if I will select meals for next week or skip. My freezer is kind of full at the moment. I know I will cancel for the following week because it's chili:barfgreen:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I thought we had drooling emoji's. Thanks LTS3 LTS3 !

Well, last night, because of Amber Louise's vet appt, Rick said not to bother with homemade pizza. We had a pepperoni DiGiorno's instead.

Rick asked me about making tuna and noodles tonight. I can do that!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Fall Butternut Squash Pasta shaped in little pumpkins at Trader Joe's. Since I had pizza with friends earlier in the day I was too full to make the pasta tonight but can't wait to try it.

View attachment 354067
What type of sauce would you use with it???

I really need a trip to TJ's... have not been there for a while....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are two: :drool: 🤤
Now if we could just add one to the Purraise button!

Tonight. I have no clue. I was fast asleep by 9 AM, and at 10 AM came bolt upright choking! A storm rolled in and my sinuses filled up, and I could not breathe at all! I'll think about it once I've gotten some sleep in my trusty recliner, which I bought for just such days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Fall Butternut Squash Pasta shaped in little pumpkins at Trader Joe's.
That looks so good. I would probably have it with Alfredo sauce or some type of creamy or buttery sauce.

Breakfast: Finished the Aldi Simply Nature Apple, Almond, Honey granola, also finished Aldi dried fruit medley and put a few cashews and flax/chia seed on top, and Aldi vanilla almond milk.

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry sammich on Great Value country potato bread toasted, olive oil, onions, bell pepper, celery, mixed baby greens, one hard boilled egg, italian dressing, soy sauce, habanero hot sauce, cheddar jack cheese.

Dinner: Same as lunch, but replaced the hard boiled egg with an Aldi chipotle black bean veggie burger.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What type of sauce would you use with it??? I really need a trip to TJ's... have not been there for a while....
I wouldn't want any type of sauce that would overpower the butternut squash so probably a brown butter sage sauce topped with parmesan.

Dave's Gourmet sells a butternut squash pasta sauce. It's a little pricey but another option.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have a 4-pound pork loin the fridge. Will slice and roll it out, pound it thin, brine in apple cider, then fill with onions and apples, roll up and tie, and do it in Foodi Grill. A bit of apple butter BBQ sauce and we're good to go. Maybe some scalloped potatoes, but I'm really just thinking of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy, and green beans. I'm thinking of plain old chocolate pudding for some dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.