What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well let's see, no skillet but I dropped a frozen bagel on my big bare toe, took a pizza out of the oven only to have it slip and slide across the kitchen floor not once but this may have happened twice. :biggrin: Then there was the time I put the microwave on for 20 minutes with no baked potato in it. :doh: I'm sure my kids remember more cooking mishaps but these are a few that come to mind.

Leftovers tonight, i.e. pasta casserole with side salad, coconut milk ice cream sandwich and honeycrisp apple for dessert. I told DH we're eating out Sunday. :wink:
I once made a big pot of pasta that would last me an entire week when I was a young thing (you know, back in the days of the free range dinosaurs) and picked up the pot handles without a mitt or towel.
The dogs I had at the time had a pasta dinner, and cleaned the floors to say thanks :lol:
When I first moved out on my own, I had to call my parents to ask how to boil water. :spew:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Went out with some friends to eat cheese dakgalbi last night. This is my #1 Korean comfort food. Stir-fried chicken thighs in a sweet spicy sauce with cabbage, onion, green onion, garlic, perilla leaf, sweet potato, rice cake, a side of ramen, and sooo much cheese! Goes excellent with a cold beer and some pickled radish. :)
DF1C8238-0335-41A5-AF36-1B69B768A836.jpeg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the interest of full disclosure I dug the Steamables Asian Medley bag out of the trash. Holding it in my left hand, typing with the right (understand I only type with one finger on each hand. Slow going with one hand / one finger so this is really something you really should commend me for doing.)

As well as the vegetables I previously listed it contains: seasoning (salt, sugar, dehydrated onion, maltodextrin, dehydrated garlic, black pepper), soybean oil, natural flavor.

Back to two hands / two fingers. Understand I am not against frozen vegetables. We quite like frozen green beans, frozen baby green peas, frozen corn, frozen mixed vegetables. I only prepare fresh asparagus, fresh broccoli but will do them in those zipfresh microwave bags. Potatoes not in microwave, they are done on stove or in oven. Ditto sweet potatoes. Also parsnips. Carrots, celery - stove top. Celeriac - infrequent item, stove top.

Anyone else care to chime in?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the interest of full disclosure I dug the Steamables Asian Medley bag out of the trash. Holding it in my left hand, typing with the right (understand I only type with one finger on each hand. Slow going with one hand / one finger so this is really something you really should commend me for doing.)

As well as the vegetables I previously listed it contains: seasoning (salt, sugar, dehydrated onion, maltodextrin, dehydrated garlic, black pepper), soybean oil, natural flavor.

Back to two hands / two fingers. Understand I am not against frozen vegetables. We quite like frozen green beans, frozen baby green peas, frozen corn, frozen mixed vegetables. I only prepare fresh asparagus, fresh broccoli but will do them in those zipfresh microwave bags. Potatoes not in microwave, they are done on stove or in oven. Ditto sweet potatoes. Also parsnips. Carrots, celery - stove top. Celeriac - infrequent item, stove top.

Anyone else care to chime in?
We eat frozen vegetables like candy.
I don't get why anyone could take a good food like flash frozen vegetables and add all this sugary and mystery crap (natural flavor?) that no one really needs.
Do you have a food saver? You can freeze fresh vegetables in no time flat and they stay colorful and crisp for ages.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mushroom and Veggie Fried Rice | Stop and Shop

Mushroom, kale, cauliflower rice, edamame, peas and corn, brown rice. You can mix and match other veggies. I use spinach instead of kale. I omitted the cauliflower rice this time because I just don't care for cauliflower. I think next time I'll add in browned sausage meat or other ground meat.
Now that I see your reply, I remember you posted this before. It still sounds delicious. :yummy: And I really must make it sometime. And, speaking as/for the vegetarians, with the edamame, corn, peas, mushrooms and rice, it has plenty of protein.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted much, as I've been doing some pre-spring cleaning out on the frozen foods. Pretty much eating "extra" meals I cooked and packed away in the freezer.

Tonight I'm having fresh spaghetti with a cup of beef marinara sauce (dated 9-2018) which was lurking in the shadows of the freezer.

I have a few more days of homemade frozen dinners before needing to cook more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The slow cooker cheesey taco tots came out meh :ohwell: The recipe claims the tots come out crispy but there is no way they can come out crispy in a slow cooker :headshake: The beef mixture came out a bit too salty for my taste. What do you expect from a web site that now hires millennial writers who claim to be foodies but have no experience with recipes or cooking? It seems that the web site's writers are either copying and pasting parts of recipes together to create a new recipe or they're just making up recipes and not bothering to test out the recipe before posting it :nono: It's an ongoing complaint from older readers of the web site.

Looking at the recipe, there is no reason at all why it can't be made in an oven. The beef mixture can be made as instructed and then put into a baking pan with the tots on top (not under) and baked until the tots are crispy. Using sweet potato tots is better than regular tots. They add a bit of sweetness that cuts through some of the beef mixture saltiness.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cassoulet is a major undertaking! I always invite at least another couple to cut down on the leftovers.

Having completed the web site entries for both the orchid show AND the book review I splashed out on dinner.

Costco wild caught salmon with sauteed onion and portobello muchrooms, asparagus, and little oven roasted potatoes for him (we had rice just last night, he said) and rice for me.

Salmon brushed with my go to glaze of equal parts dark brown sugar, grainy mustard, soy sauce, and sherry. Broiled. Asparagus was a little fatter than I prefer so I used a vegetable peeler on the bottom of the stalks.

A glass of malbec for me as a reward for finishing the entries.

Attachments

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot about dinner :headshake: My favorite meal of the day next to lunch and snacks and I forgot about it. I'm on my own so I'll probably gnaw on some carrots or something and be proud of being healthy.....then raid the fridge at 2:15 in the morning and have a spread of cooked frozen pizza and mac and cheese by 3:00AM.
Plus, I really got a hankering for a hot dog earlier.
Takes me back to being a college kid, so that's not so bad :thumbsup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll microwave/bake a potato, put a little margarine and salt/pepper on it. i'll heat up some chili, and then serve that over the baked potato. dessert will be the last (that's thawed) of the banana bread, with a little margarine spread over it -- later in the evening. :yummy:
...and the same, except a peanut butter brownie for dessert! :D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've got a hankerin for broccoli and cheese but we don't have any broccoli, so I'm going to dye cauliflower green and pretend.
Which reminds me, for some reason, of my father saying, "If I had some ham, I'd make a ham and cheese sandwich, if I had some cheese."

I bet you've never dropped a skillet on your big bare toe, yelled and bent down to pick it up and slammed your head into the oven door on the way back up, have you? (This is 100% not hypothetical ;))
UM...I shall PM you a story about a man, a kitten, and a kitchen. It should not be repeated in an open forum.

I WAS going to make bacon sammies, but Danielle stopped by to tell me that she is bringing my supper to me tonight. GOD I LOVE MY NEIGHBORS!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which reminds me, for some reason, of my father saying, "If I had some ham, I'd make a ham and cheese sandwich, if I had some cheese."

UM...I shall PM you a story about a man, a kitten, and a kitchen. It should not be repeated in an open forum.

I WAS going to make bacon sammies, but Danielle stopped by to tell me that she is bringing my supper to me tonight. GOD I LOVE MY NEIGHBORS!
Kittens are banned from the kitchen from this day forward!!!!
We got a whole bunch of vegetables in today and we're going to cut them up and pour dressing over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.