What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Came home late for supper... just had a Weight Watchers frozen meal.. yuck...changed their recipe... yuck.. It used to be one of my favorites, but what they did to it?? No more... It was the potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce... yuck...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next to pizza, spaghetti is my favorite meal. I love garlic bread, too.

For dinner I had vegetarian White Bean & Kale Soup I got at Safeway's deli and a large corn muffin I brought at BJ's. They were very good together.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For dinner I had vegetarian White Bean & Kale Soup I got at Safeway's deli and a large corn muffin I brought at BJ's. They were very good together.
Have you ever tried Dr. McDougall's soup? I bet you would really like it. :yummy: I love corn muffins or cornbread.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Braised chicken thighs, dried corn, and roasted butternut squash (I have a cute little butternut that will be perfect for the two of us). Apple dumplings for dessert.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , i love squash too! all kinds of squash, but especially the winter squash. i grew up having butternut, acorn, zucchini, and yellow crookneck squash on a pretty regular basis. as an adult, i discovered that i like all squash very much. :yummy:

miagi's_mommy miagi's_mommy , spaghetti squash is so good!! :redheartpump:

tonight i'll heat up more of the spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese on top. a banana walnut blondie for dessert.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried Dr. McDougall's soup? I bet you would really like it. :yummy: I love corn muffins or cornbread.
No, I have never tried Dr. McDougall's soup but would like to. We don't have any Whole Foods, Wegman's or Trader Joe's in my neighborhood. We only have a small organic store called Mom's and it does not carry that much. At least some of the regular grocery stores are now carrying more vegetarian food.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I DUNNO! Something easy. Um...I don't have a clue. Maybe chicken salad. That sounds good.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
A really huge Baked Potato!! with tons of butter, salt and a tiny bit of pepper... I am full!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Came home late for supper... just had a Weight Watchers frozen meal.. yuck...changed their recipe... yuck.. It used to be one of my favorites, but what they did to it?? No more... It was the potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce... yuck...
They have changed a lot of their recipes and none for the better. They used to be really good. They have definitely cheapened their ingredients and the taste reflects that. I won't buy their stuff anymore. I much prefer Lean Cuisine.

I have no idea what dinner ill be tonight. DD wants a Boar's Head roast beef wrap from the deli at Publix.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I took some baked ham out of the freezer yesterday to thaw in the fridge. We are having ham and scalloped potatoes tonight for dinner. We haven't had that in a long time and it's a nice casserole-type supper. Warm, too.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made an attempt in middle-east cuisine, Fatayer. Somehow mine became flat surfaced in oven, there should be seams and it should be higher, not so flat, my dough was too soft I guess, still tastes great!
upload_2017-12-3_22-1-54.png

upload_2017-12-3_22-1-25.png

If you wish to have a go, there are many instructions on net, I followed this one with little modifications:
Fatayer Dough (Cajiin Fataa’ir) Pâte à Fatayer عجينة فطائر | Xawaash.com

Need to practice them bit more, but these are really quick to make, it was less than an hour and I had first batch out of the oven as I had meat in fridge already, just needed to put it into something.

One of those is around 300 calories, so consume with moderation!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made an attempt in middle-east cuisine, Fatayer. Somehow mine became flat surfaced in oven, there should be seams and it should be higher, not so flat, my dough was too soft I guess, still tastes great!
View attachment 208359
View attachment 208357

If you wish to have a go, there are many instructions on net, I followed this one with little modifications:
Fatayer Dough (Cajiin Fataa’ir) Pâte à Fatayer عجينة فطائر | Xawaash.com

Need to practice them bit more, but these are really quick to make, it was less than an hour and I had first batch out of the oven as I had meat in fridge already, just needed to put it into something.

One of those is around 300 calories, so consume with moderation!
Wow! They look delicious.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I'm having organic dumplings with tofu vegetables. It's really good. For desert I'm having a cinnamon Muffin with cream cheese icing that I got at Safeway's bakery.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
jtbo jtbo , how big are your Fatayer? Gosh, they look good! I didn't see anything about size on the link either, although the ones in the picture on your link look about appetizer size. Is that correct? How big do you think they should be made?

Gosh our ham and scalloped potato casserole was good last night. I had leftover baked ham that I used and made a bit of a cheesy white sauce....I always use lowfat evaporated milk, not regular milk. I threw in a few frozen peas to the mix, too. It came out of the oven all bubbly and Rick said it was wonderful. It's been a long time since I made scalloped potatoes with ham and it really hit the spot last night. We have enough for leftovers tonight and Rick said he's more than willing to finish them off, so I guess that will be dinner again!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jtbo jtbo , how big are your Fatayer? Gosh, they look good! I didn't see anything about size on the link either, although the ones in the picture on your link look about appetizer size. Is that correct? How big do you think they should be made?
My understanding is that they should be around palm size, mine became bit larger as always. Someplace I think I did read about egg sized ball of dough that should be flatten to round shape, not too thick.

Try this link, so you can see how actual shaping is done:
Spinach pastry triangle (Fatayer sabanekh )

There probably is lot of rules about art of Fatayer that is obvious for people from middle east that Scandinavian can't even guess, but for me those were pretty much like meat pie, except you don't deep fry them.

Also choice of fat to use, one thing to consider is avoiding Linolic acid (LA) that is one of the Omega-6 fatty acids that can be harmful if you get too much of them, even more so than some saturated fats. These are high fat food,18% fat, so you get quite a bit when eating these.
Here is my variation of the recipe from my recipe book (yes, my recipe book is Excel spreadsheet :D ), I haven't tested with lower fluid content yet, but it should be bit easier to make, depends from flour, humidity etc. still quite bit Work in progress, but I guess I can show a page, some values I did not record so for example dehydration is bit off:
upload_2017-12-4_17-52-44.png

Green boxes are inputs, rest are calculated, it really helps to see daily caloric intake of self baked stuff, but I hope to evolve tool to help with sizing of the batch and also to be somewhat useful recipe book, it does cost estimates too, just not water and electricity etc. Might add something for that some day.

Secret of weight loss, spending more time with spreadsheet calculating what to eat than actually eating :D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to make cornbread with onions, bell peppers and lots of medium-heat bulk sausage added to the batter. And a salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.