What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I have been trying to find a wet food she will eat right away and finish. She is such a picky eater her favorite new food is one I wanted to avoid (if it holds up). I know she would like Wellness Core Signature Selects Chicken and Chicken Liver if it was pate. She snubbed her nose at all other Wellness recipes.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats NEVER Get soft stools or diarrhea EVER. They did on wellness. It’s a very rich food.
Interesting, I didn’t realize it was that much richer than other foods. Before we diagnosed Trin and discovered chicken made it worse, he had a terrible stomach ache on the Wellness Pate Chicken, Turkey and Chicken Liver. I assumed after that it must have been the amount of chicken, but maybe a large factor was also the richness. :think:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I didn’t realize it was that much richer than other foods. Before we diagnosed Trin and discovered chicken made it worse, he had a terrible stomach ache on the Wellness Pate Chicken, Turkey and Chicken Liver. I assumed after that it must have been the amount of chicken, but maybe a large factor was also the richness. :think:
It could have been the wellness. The very first time I gave them wellness they both had diarrhea. I figured it was bc I introduced the food too fast. But even going very very slowly I could literally hear their stomachs rumbling from the food. It also gave them terrible gas. Their poops were never normal on it even after a proper long introduction. So I just took them completely off it. I have a couple of cases sitting in my basement that I’ve been meaning to donate.
It does not happen anymore even though I don’t introduce foods slowly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Lamb and Salmon came today and I served it to Sylvie for dinner. At first she ate just a couple of mouthfuls and walked away, and I feared that it might be a fail. But she kept going back and eating more, in between rounds of fishing-pole play, and just now I looked at her dish and saw that she had eaten nearly all of it. :) I'll be so happy if she likes something this high-quality and I can add it to her rotation!

She normally eats only pate, so I prepared it as a Chewy reviewer suggested, adding the warm water and then letting it sit for 20 minutes before mushing it all up.

I'm thinking Sylvie's recent bout of digestive upset might have been a blessing in disguise, because it got me to revisit her diet and discover some healthy options that weren't available a few years ago.
I can only imagine the havoc our cats would wreak around here if they knew their food was waiting for 20 minutes! ;) Another option is to pulverize the pellets into powder (sorry, couldn't resist the alliteration there) before adding the water -- that makes it mix faster. In any case, I'm glad Sylvie likes the new food! And you're right about finding a bright side to the digestive issues. It's always good to find new foods that you feel good about feeding.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tricked Milly the other day. I thought I'd try Koha Guineafowl Pate, since I'd not heard of such a thing before. It's a very soft pate. I'd guess it would be good for cat owners whose cats like their food made into a sort of puree w/ a bit of H20 added in. You can just add H20 and smoosh it with a fork, this pate is so soft (when the can is first opened, that is -- before refrigeration).

I've been wanting a food like that in order to sneak a meal by Milly where I've added more water content than what's in just a basic canned food.

Anyway, I tried this, with a sprinkle of crumbled freeze-dried Feline Natural Chicken/Lamb over the top.

As soon as she got past her yummy topper of the chicken/lamb, she freaked out and bolted away, licking her mouth like crazy.

"WTH, what did you just try to feed me?!" :bigeyes::angrywoman:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Push, regular pate food is more than 70% water. Some foods are as high as 78%.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I know this, daisy6. :lol2: That's why I said, even more water than a canned food already has in it.

Lots of cat owners add even more H20 to their cat's meals. Milly's blood work the past year has shown a low level of dehydration which I want to counter. She takes corticosteroids for asthma/allergies.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I always make Olive a nice delicious cat food slurry by adding a tablespoon or so of water. It's not really because I think she needs more water, it's more that some of the foods can be a bit dry (especially Rawz beef pate) and I got used to adding some in so I could increase the mushability. Now I kind of do it to every pate I feed her ...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I know this, daisy6. :lol2: That's why I said, even more water than a canned food already has in it.

Lots of cat owners add even more H20 to their cat's meals. Milly's blood work the past year has shown a low level of dehydration which I want to counter. She takes corticosteroids for asthma/allergies.
I add extra water to a lot of foods, too. And we also sprinkle Feline Natural chicken/lamb on canned food to make it irresistible for our pickier cat! I don't remember if you feed freeze-dried meals or not but Ireland also loves it when I make watery freeze-dried then sprinkle lots of freeze-dried dust on top. She licks up the juice first and then can't resist the rest of the meal. Thank goodness I figured this out because she'd been getting finicky about her evening meal which, I confess, hasn't changed much in the last couple of years. Mixing things up with texture really worked.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can only imagine the havoc our cats would wreak around here if they knew their food was waiting for 20 minutes! ;) Another option is to pulverize the pellets into powder (sorry, couldn't resist the alliteration there) before adding the water -- that makes it mix faster. In any case, I'm glad Sylvie likes the new food! And you're right about finding a bright side to the digestive issues. It's always good to find new foods that you feel good about feeding.
Tonight I let it sit for just a few minutes, and I added less water, because the recommended 1:1 ratio made it really soupy. Sylvie seems to like the less mushy texture better.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I let it sit for just a few minutes, and I added less water, because the recommended 1:1 ratio made it really soupy. Sylvie seems to like the less mushy texture better.
And there you go: every lynx mix has her own posh preferences and Cat Catering must adjust! I'm glad you were able to figure it out so much faster than I did. :p

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in trying Caru Turkey Stew. Even though the Caru already seems mostly liquid, I consider it to be a good type of food that a cat owner can add some extra water to when wanting to increase a cat's water intake and the cat won't likely rebel at the extra hydration! (I have a cat that eats canned foods but rarely drinks from water dishes even though her last few instances of blood work shows signs of mild but chronic dehydration -- it's likely from Pred usage.)
I've been wanting a food like that in order to sneak a meal by Milly where I've added more water content than what's in just a basic canned food. ...
Well, I set out some of the Caru Turkey Stew last night.
Milly gave it a wide berth. :(

I was really disappointed. I'm not having much luck getting away from her usual half-dozen or so foods that she eats.

I might try serving it up again today but slightly chilled from the fridge, to see how she responds. (She's not a cat that minds cold-ish foods -- and maybe the smell will be a bit different for her if it's served colder.)

I wish I had better news for this thread. :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I set out some of the Caru Turkey Stew last night.
Milly gave it a wide berth. :(

I was really disappointed. I'm not having much luck getting away from her usual half-dozen or so foods that she eats.

I might try serving it up again today but slightly chilled from the fridge, to see how she responds. (She's not a cat that minds cold-ish foods -- and maybe the smell will be a bit different for her if it's served colder.)

I wish I had better news for this thread. :sigh:
sorry your girl didnt like the Caru, mine like the salmon and turkey, hate the chicken :dunno: i do find mine like it best if i set the box in a bowl of really warm water for 15 or 20 min, get it a bit warm. Cold they only lick the gravy, warm the will eat the ground meat as well. at least this is what works for min :headscratch:

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
That's a shame! We haven't tried ours yet. It's one of the ones we are hoping Gohan will like.

Yesterday I gave Olive and Gohan some Primal Dehydrated Rabbit. Olive loved it, ate like she was starving (I bet in a year I will be feeding her homemade raw, lol). Gohan mostly ignored it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What are the chances Daisy will gobble up all 12 cans like the first one?

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I suppose Daisy will let you know, lol. To be fair, there was a label change on the one case that Olive rejected after eating a bunch, so perhaps there was a corresponding formula difference.

Hope she loves it as much as the first can!

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
A bunch of the first can of cat food ... I bought a sample 5.5 oz can of the Only Natural Pet Turkey Pate, which is a good 3 servings of food for Olive. She ate it with gusto, even the leftover refrigerated stuff the next day so I thought she was good to eat it.

When I bought the case, I was actually confused because the label was so different I thought I bought the wrong one. She would eat about half of her normal serving and then run up to me complaining that she was unhappy. I would spend the next 20 min adding various toppers and whatnot, but she just didn't like it. All the other times I have purchased cases, she never had an issue. I am guessing a small formula change or something.