Weird household objects as toys

littlejaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My glasses and many other things of mine... Tinkerbell steals them and hides my things  in her cubby hole. That's where I go to look for all my stuff she steals from me.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some great stories here! My four are pretty typical except for one item. My husband was really into magic when he was a kid and he had this weird fur thing with a spring in it that was supposed to look like an animal. Almost like a puppet but no strings and your hand doesn't go in it, you just manipulate the spring. Chloe love/hates that puppet because when it comes out she will first run up to it and rub her face all over it, carry it around, nuzzle it - and then suddenly grab it by its neck and shake it like crazy, throw it in the air, swat it. Never have seen her do that behavior with anything else. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that you guys mention baloons, I was washing dishes one day and the soap created a lot of bubbles when I squeezed it.

Shadow now waits for bubbles to come up when i do the dishes... lol 

he loves bubbles. 
I got edible cat nip bubbles for my cats. One loves them and the other is afraid of them

littlejaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tinkerbell does this same thing with small soft toys at night only. She meows during this ritual  but otherwise I never hear a word out of her any other time.  She was spayed at  4 months old but what she does though looks a whole lot like her carrying  a baby kitty around at night. Cat's are just wonderful to try to figure out.

carlymarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive got a 10 week old kitten, so it could just be because of his young age, but he LOVES any type of bag, mechanical pencils and/or pens, my laptop charger, water bottles, and anything that rolls. My older cat loves anything rubber, and hair ties. And when he was a kitten, he used to take money, (paper money, by the way) and put it in his litter box.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ive got a 10 week old kitten, so it could just be because of his young age, but he LOVES any type of bag, mechanical pencils and/or pens, my laptop charger, water bottles, and anything that rolls.
I don't think it is because of his young age. Sheba loves the same things and she is probably 6 1/2. S&S turned her back into a kitten.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rin loves ice cubes. Anytime she hears us at the freezer ice machine she is right at our feet waiting for one along with Buddy my parents dog. She likes to bat them around then carries them in her mouth into the front room where she plays a little while longer. Usually she picks them up with her teeth and drops them into a shoe when she's done which sucks for my dad as they're his shoes most of the time lol.

Sometimes she just leaves them in the middle of the floor and we step in them, that is if the dog doesn't find them and eat them first. . .

Also we find socks, underwear, gloves, towels, shirts and other things all over the kitchen, living room and sometimes the stairs. My parents cat Mama is usually the one that drags them out at night once the lights are out and we're all in bed, recently though I saw Rin with a glove so I know she's doing it as well lol.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive got a 10 week old kitten, so it could just be because of his young age, but he LOVES any type of bag, mechanical pencils and/or pens, my laptop charger, water bottles, and anything that rolls. My older cat loves anything rubber, and hair ties. And when he was a kitten, he used to take money, (paper money, by the way) and put it in his litter box.
Rin loves bags to, I have to keep an eye on her around them. I actually kicked an empty 12 pack soda box once without thinking and she was in it, I felt so bad. She likes being pushed around in boxes as well.

Does your cat ever try and run off with an item when he sees you coming to take it away?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My tweezers are missing...
:lol3: That's par for the course around here.

I found a metal cap on the floor of the study about two weeks ago and couldn't figure out where it came from. When I got home from school this afternoon, Mogli was squeaking and pawing at the hinge of the balcony door in the spare bedroom. So that's where the cap was from - the bottom of the hinge of the door in the study!

Poor little Mogli, he simply doesn't have enough toys - not!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! We went to Family Dollar and I know Thunder is the one who went under the bathroom sink and retrieved my brand new pack of hair ties and strung them all over the bedroom floor. Bella has never gotten under that sink that I know of. So the blame is on Thunder in my opinion. I may have to set up a camera  sometime.

Last edited:

numnum2552

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten loves bottle caps, she throws then up in the air, pushes them all around the house, an carries then from room to room. They last for a long time and are very inexpensive

dawn mckimm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
eFifi loves plastic bags tied in a not and has an addiction to drinking straws have just found out she also loves Thunder and lightning she is up in my bed room watching it funny cause we love it too

Last edited:

hendrix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A sponge! Not sure if it was because it smells like food or is actually fun to play with.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Artemis is also a big fan of the plastic rings from the milk jug! She also loves to kick around beer bottle tops and has developed a very strange obsession with tubes of chapstick. She literally plays with them and then stashes them under the couch. For the first few months that I had her I was buying tens of tubes of chapstick every month and couldn't figure out where they were disappearing to. I moved the couch one afternoon while cleaning and found alllllll of my chapstick. My cat is a hoarder.
 lol love this. Put her on the show!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some great stories here! My four are pretty typical except for one item. My husband was really into magic when he was a kid and he had this weird fur thing with a spring in it that was supposed to look like an animal. Almost like a puppet but no strings and your hand doesn't go in it, you just manipulate the spring. Chloe love/hates that puppet because when it comes out she will first run up to it and rub her face all over it, carry it around, nuzzle it - and then suddenly grab it by its neck and shake it like crazy, throw it in the air, swat it. Never have seen her do that behavior with anything else. 
My cat does this with a dog toy from dollarama.. It is the kind you put a empty water bottle in.. fuzzy with a tail and looks like a fox or something. he hits the ceiling when he throws it sometimes O.O