Weird household objects as toys

sulaco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mitchell loves anything small and covered in plastic, but cough drops are his favorite I've seen him go out of his way to get one off a night stand and haul it off so he can swat it around he'll play with one for an hour strait if I let him lol. He even gets excited at the sight of a bag of them!

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
every time I open a soda bottle, I'll toss the cap to the floor. Gov is definitely a puck handler and has become adept at scoring goals under the couch. But Gov's favorite toy is without a doubt: the pistachio shell. Makes a GREAT sound when scooted across a wooden floor and is the same size and shape as a stinkbug (gov's favorite bug). It's never been a problem, but I absolutely do not leave him unsupervised because it's likely a choking hazard. Still, pistachio shells are top 5 favorite toys. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the ladies a catnip rat the other day. They will hardly play with it. What does Sugar prefer? One of the shoes I wear without socks. They kinda stink, but she will play kickeroo with it.

kingfootie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The size and weight of the toy is what makes it so desirable for your cat. Not too big, not too little, but just purrrfect!  Try letting your cat play with 1/2 of an almond shell.  I had a cat named Smokey, who loved to bat this around the kitchen on the linoleum floor for hours. Every time it landed under the stove, he would look up at me and meow and I would have to fish it out for him.  He enjoyed hours of exercise with this silly nut shell.  He would carry it from one room to the next, but had the best time on a hard slippery floor. A full almond didn't interest him; it had to be just 1/2 of the shell!

A favorite  of King Footie's is a miniature round "pom pom tassel puff", for lack of a better word. To see an example,  Googe-image the word "pom pom" and you'll see what I'm talking about.  These are round ball-like tassles that you can see on certain kinds of curtains, or you can buy these at the sewing center, but keep in mind it has to  be round, and very light weight and made from yarn...but it looks like a pom pom.  I call this Footie's "puff".  Footie carries this puff around in his mouth showing it off like it's a prized catch; he'll lay it down and look around and pretend to himself that he doesn't know it's there, then he'll pretend he suddenly sees it and he'll attack. 

Probably the best toy you can give your cat is one with interaction from yourself.  Tie a shoe string onto the end of a stick and drag it across the floor and then through the air. Make sure everything is the right length so that it is comfortable for yourself to enjoy sitting or standing, with no strain on your back.  If you're comfortable, your cats will be especially pleased to play with you.   If you have more than one cat, you'll soon find yourself surrounded, with cats leaping and flying in the air chasing a silly string!

kingfootie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more, which is especially good for kittens.  Cats love this too, if you keep the game up after they are grown.  Wear 2-3 pairs of socks to protect your feet before you go to bed at night.  Now get under the covers and wiggle your toes.  The rest I'll leave up to your imagination, but I'll bet it will be hard to fall asleep; you'll be laughing so hard.  You see, the excitement is in this for you, because you are anticipating the claws sinking past all of those socks, and your cat picks up on this fear, only he thinks it is an animal under the covers.  It's both scary for you and fun, sort of like riding a roller coaster; you never know when the cat's going to attack.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's both scary for you and fun, sort of like riding a roller coaster; you never know when the cat's going to attack.
And that is where the problems can start. If you do this when the cat is a kitten, then any time you are trying to sleep and you move your feet, the cat will attack, even after it is fully grown.

It is like using your hands to play with a kitten, they will always see the hands (or feet) as a toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I bought the ladies a catnip rat the other day. They will hardly play with it. What does Sugar prefer? One of the shoes I wear without socks. They kinda stink, but she will play kickeroo with it.
Our oldest, Archer, is in love with the shirts my husband wears under his Army uniform.  It's one of those Under Armor type shirts, and being in Hawaii, it tends to be rather fragrant by the time he gets home at the end of the day.
  Archer sits in front of him and waits for him to change out of his uniform so that he can have a good roll around in the shirt.  I told my hubby that he's gotta get his daily dose of testosterone from somewhere since we removed his ability to make his own

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They love playing with plastic pop bottle caps, especially Hooite. She will pick up the cap in her mouth and carry it around. They also like playing with a wadded up ball of tin foil. Oh and Hootie used to play with a pot holder haha. I had two of them and let her have one saving the other pot holder for myself. One day she got into the cabinet under the kitchen sink through the space bedside the dishwasher and managed to pull my good pot holder out of the kitchen drawer!

Last edited:

willma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here.  I have 3 cats - two 5 yrs and a kitten almost 1 yr.  They are all SUPER playful (especially the kitten though) and make toys out of just about anything.  A few favourites lately are: beer caps, cords or strings of any kind (surprised none of them have been shocked yet!), screws and nails (we find these lying in random places, carried up from my husband's workshop in the basement), baby toys, flies, moths, socks, flip flops, suds, my hair.... yeah, just about anything! Even though they have a whole basket of their own toys that they are always picking through - I guess they're just not as fun! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Scofield Barracks? I was stationed at Sub Base, Pearl.
Yep, he's at Schofield.  We're not very impressed because it all looks, and is, so run down.  Hickam AFB, on the other hand, is very nice & well kept.  My parents were actually stationed at Hickam over 30 years ago & my brother was born here, so I've had to go and take pictures of places that they remembered from when they were here :) (of course many of those places no longer exist though).  We actually live pretty close to Pearl Harbor...we could actually take a ferry there from our house & get there in about 10 minutes that way. 

maria87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Santiago goes nuts for milk rings. I found eight of them under the fridge the other day! Milo loves to play in paper bags at 2am :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine for some reason likes my leg splint. I have problems with my left foot, so I sleep with a leg splint. One day I came home and found the splint next to the bathtub. Today I forgot to put it away again and came home to find the splint next to his litter box (gee, thanks Jed).

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Mine for some reason likes my leg splint. I have problems with my left foot, so I sleep with a leg splint. One day I came home and found the splint next to the bathtub. Today I forgot to put it away again and came home to find the splint next to his litter box (gee, thanks Jed).
Oooh, that was close!   
   I hope it's made out of nice easy clean material!

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the past few months I've given Dolly and Wren some new things to play with. Dolly has been the one going crazy with them.

Items include:

half of the core of a roll of toilet paper

crumbled balls of paper

core of a roll of packaging tape

pen cap

During the night when Dolly gets hyper, I'll start crumbling the paper, which makes her eyes open wide and hide behind the side wall ready for me to throw it. I throw it and she goes running and plays with it.

Sometimes I'll also rub something hard on the wooden floor, which makes Dolly get wild-eyed and ready to play due to the noise of rubbing it.

lovercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I just wanted to warn you about rubber bands. Cat's have been known to get them stuck in their throats.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Milly loves to play with this little 1-inch diameter bath sink strainer. She carries it around in her mouth, mewling all the while, and then bats at it and chases it in circles as it rolls around on its side. It's easy to pick up with claws, too.