Weird household objects as toys

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Pecans were the favorite of ours.

Ari and my one of my niece's cats liked mummified mice.
Mummified mice????  Is this something I should know about (Mouse just having discovered we have a live mouse running about in this apartment)....

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok NOT safe by ANY means but Gizmo just stole a pair of scissors and was making it spin on the kitchen floor. Couldn't yell at him cause I was laughing so hard but took those away quick. Now I think I've seen it all O.O

claireguest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's favorite household items are:
Empty boxes.

Hair ties!-I've lost countless amounts of these because she plays with them and loses them.

Pillows.

And lastly, she loves playing with shoes!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
The printer.... I hadn't used it for ages and forgot until I turned it on earlier: the minute Mouse hears it starting up he's there, waiting for his personal paper feeding machine. I have to divert him the instant the paper starts to feed through or all my documents are chewed mush before you blink. Not good for work stuff or formal letters. 

fflea2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What strange household items do your cats decide are the greatest toys ever?

Today when I was washing my face I was using one of those little circular natural sponge type loofahs to exfoliate.  I set it on the sink and accidentally knocked it down & Archer was right there claiming it as his own!  I took it away from him because, although it was rinsed out, I didn't know if there was any soap residue in it still.  He then jumped up onto the toilet & reached over and grabbed it from the sink & took off running!  Sneaky little devil:)  Don't worry, I did get it back from him right away:)

So what weird objects have your cats claimed as their own and decided that they make a great toy?
[/quote

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything that moves and the boys love to bat stuff under the doors at eachother. they will do with me too but you have to watch out cause they are fast and they have gotten me before. Trips favorite is boxes and he will pull the sides up so they cover him and when his brother or the dog walk past he will swat them. Aspen will jump in and kick his butt but my puppy isnt so smart he just spins in circles trying to figure it out. Since summer started they are obbsesed with things that fly. They will spend hours trying to catch a fly. I have a pom so they are both obbsessed with his fluffy tail they will sit up high and every time he walks past they swat at it. Trips new favorite thing is WalMart shopping bags. I try to put them away but he seems to be able to find stray ones we miss and somehow he always winds up wearing it as a cape. I think he thinks hes super cat or something.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thumb drives.

Especially the ones with really, really important file on them. The more important, the better.

I also caught my younger male cat dragging one of my Army-type boots across the floor by the shoestring.  Each shoe must weigh a couple of pounds - he must be "training" with it in order to drag even heavier things about the house.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thumb drives.

Especially the ones with really, really important file on them. The more important, the better.

I also caught my younger male cat dragging one of my Army-type boots across the floor by the shoestring.  Each shoe must weigh a couple of pounds - he must be "training" with it in order to drag even heavier things about the house.
That's FUNNY!  The thumb drives with important files must smell differently from the other ones.  LOL   And I love the cat in training to drag off bigger and better stuff.  

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love reading all the stories here!

The new kitten in the house has found a whole bunch of strange objects as toys.  Sam like receipts made into a ball and thown.

And we've had to go around kitten proofing the house.  It's been a couple of years since we had a kitten, I've forgotten just how much stuff they can get into!

Brings a whole new meaning to "age appropriate" toys

Cheryl

kittykisses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my ten month old kittens liked to chew and eat all sorts of bad things. I really have to watch what I leave out. The weirdest thing he has chewed on is tin foil! Who would want to chew on that?

thelionsfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat always pounces on moths when he sees them flying around the porch light and he goes crazy and when he's done killing the moth he will drink out of the toilet like a dog will

Last edited:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penelope loves q-tips. She loves them so much that she comes running every time I open the jar I have them in on my bathroom counter. She dumps over bathroom trash cans looking for them too. Next she is going to figure out how to open the jar so she can help herself to them. She is so happy when she gets one and will play with it for hours.

Bailey is obsessed with straws. You can't have a drink with a straw in it around here. As soon as he sees it he is going to spend as long as it takes trying to get it and hoping you let your guard down for just a few seconds. I have repeatedly stopped him from stealing my straw for 2 hours before. He always ends up with the straw somehow in the end. It is annoying when he gets it before you are done and he knocks the drink over in the process. Giving him his own straw doesn't work either, I think he likes the thrill of stealing it. :lol3:

janitor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the best toys that "Jewels" likes are those Velcro cable ties that you use to wrap around computer cables. We just leave'em rolled up and she plays "fetch" with them. She even brings them back to us and drops them in our hands. It is so cute! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, there's a new one in my house. One of our current foster kittens, Dana (AKA Honey Bun
) loves fabric scraps, specifically the micro-plush fabric for making blankets and such.  I always make a blankie, some toys, and a bag to put it all in to give to my adopters for their new kitten.  The kittens (and Archer!) always seem to be fascinated by the process when I sew and tend to sit and watch me.  I hand sew all of the blankets, and I sit on the couch and watch TV while I'm doing it, so they'll perch on the foot rest, on the back of the couch and of course sometimes trying to get right in my lap to see what I'm up to! 

Well, I was working on one of the blankies about a week ago and was trimming off some extra fabric, and my little Honey Bun was sitting right next to me watching me very intently the whole time.  I had just trimmed off one long strip of fabric and she reached out and snatched it out of my hand and took off!  So there was this little brown flash running around with the fabric flapping behind her like a banner
.  She carried that scrap of fabric around for at least 30 minutes tossing it around, batting at it and growling if Archer, Hugo, or the our other foster kitten, Alec tried to get a look at it! 

A few days ago I actually gave her a larger scrap of fabric that's about 20" long and probably about 6" wide and she loves to drag it around and roll around with it.  It's adorable to see her dragging it around because she waddles when she drags it since it's bigger than she is (she's about 12 weeks old for size reference).  She tried to climb on top of the little cat condo that we have and it was so cute to see her climbing up with her "kill."  I guess I'll have to explain to her adopters that it didn't accidentally include a tiny unfinished blanket in their take home bag, but that it's just one of her toys:)

ajandtoby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm knew, but reading these replies is hilarious. My kitten, Toby, will definitely play with anything that moves. One of his favorite things was an empty Mello Yello bottle. He chased that thing around forever! I finally threw it away. But it just surprises me how clever cats are. Cats are remarkable animals! And funny, too!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi! I'm knew, but reading these replies is hilarious. My kitten, Toby, will definitely play with anything that moves. One of his favorite things was an empty Mello Yello bottle. He chased that thing around forever! I finally threw it away. But it just surprises me how clever cats are. Cats are remarkable animals! And funny, too!
I have to leave out a few empty water bottles, empty gallon water jugs, and empty aluminum cans for the ladies to make noise with.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well, there's a new one in my house. One of our current foster kittens, Dana (AKA Honey Bun
) loves fabric scraps, specifically the micro-plush fabric for making blankets and such.  I always make a blankie, some toys, and a bag to put it all in to give to my adopters for their new kitten.  The kittens (and Archer!) always seem to be fascinated by the process when I sew and tend to sit and watch me.  I hand sew all of the blankets, and I sit on the couch and watch TV while I'm doing it, so they'll perch on the foot rest, on the back of the couch and of course sometimes trying to get right in my lap to see what I'm up to! 

Well, I was working on one of the blankies about a week ago and was trimming off some extra fabric, and my little Honey Bun was sitting right next to me watching me very intently the whole time.  I had just trimmed off one long strip of fabric and she reached out and snatched it out of my hand and took off!  So there was this little brown flash running around with the fabric flapping behind her like a banner
.  She carried that scrap of fabric around for at least 30 minutes tossing it around, batting at it and growling if Archer, Hugo, or the our other foster kitten, Alec tried to get a look at it! 

A few days ago I actually gave her a larger scrap of fabric that's about 20" long and probably about 6" wide and she loves to drag it around and roll around with it.  It's adorable to see her dragging it around because she waddles when she drags it since it's bigger than she is (she's about 12 weeks old for size reference).  She tried to climb on top of the little cat condo that we have and it was so cute to see her climbing up with her "kill."  I guess I'll have to explain to her adopters that it didn't accidentally include a tiny unfinished blanket in their take home bag, but that it's just one of her toys:)
The new kitten in my house is about 14weeks now, and his favorite toy is an elastic thong once used to secure my rolled up Yoga mat. It's 1inch wide, and 1foot long, and was Midnight's first toy. Once I realized he was laying claim on it I folded it in half and tied a knot so he wouldn't swallow it, but he's held onto it over all the fancy store-bought toys I got him since :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

The new kitten in my house is about 14weeks now, and his favorite toy is an elastic thong once used to secure my rolled up Yoga mat. It's 1inch wide, and 1foot long, and was Midnight's first toy. Once I realized he was laying claim on it I folded it in half and tied a knot so he wouldn't swallow it, but he's held onto it over all the fancy store-bought toys I got him since :)
My yoga mats regularly get shredded by the cats in my house. I guess the rubber is just perfect for sharpening their claws on. They can all be fast asleep or out in the garden, but the moment I unroll my mat they appear, claws at the ready.

The mat I'm using at the moment has holed clawed right through it in places.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My yoga mats regularly get shredded by the cats in my house. I guess the rubber is just perfect for sharpening their claws on. They can all be fast asleep or out in the garden, but the moment I unroll my mat they appear, claws at the ready.

The mat I'm using at the moment has holed clawed right through it in places.

I caught the kitten at mine yesterday...was not impressed. But then, perhaps my mat shouldn't have been conveniently rolled up and left on the floor for him to claw on? i'll know better for next time..... Still learning the ropes of having toddler-cats over here

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 Still learning the ropes of having toddler-cats over here

Toddler cats.  I like that
   It perfectly describes Sam.

Cheryl