Weird household objects as toys

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to the lids to my contact lens case, Mogli has formed a weird attachment to a bottle opener with a wooden handle. He literally has about 20 toys lying on the living room floor at the moment, but is tossing "his" bottle opener around. He also loves tissue boxes, since they're so much fun to push around, chew on and tear tissues out of.

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol that is so funny about Bowser! My cats are always interested in their own fur after I brush them. When I remove it from the brush I always show it to them and they sniff it. When I had to put William inside after a tail laceration, I brushed him and took his fur out to his wife Ace so she would know he was inside.

Last edited:

angela1573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aiko is a fiend for milk jug rings and those colorful rubber bracelets that all the cool kids are wearing. Ripple is into spilling your water glass and hair ties. Wicca gets into the hair tie game a little bit, but what she really likes is to be petted on the head with toilet paper. Come to think of it, Ripple likes that too. Skittlez has been known to steal a pill bottle and lose it for months under the desk.

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Wren likes to play with twist ties. Wren has a thing for touching with her paws and always likes new toys.

Whenever I take monofiliment fishing line off of fishing reels, I take a few yards of it and make it into a bow tie shape. Wren and Dolly, esp Wren, like playing with it.

Any type of thicker strings they enjoy, such as shoelaces.

Last edited:

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens love plastic Easter eggs.  They carry the halves around all over the place.  The must be the perfect size for their little mouths.

my2lifesavers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always thought my cats were weird b/c when I was a child we had a couple of Kitties(one at a time) and none of them did anything even remotely similar, then of course back then in the "old country" they were inside/outside cats and probably did their mischief outdoors - except for the occasional dead mouse by terrace door, inside or out !

I am so relieved so see my Kitties are not that usual after all! My two each have their own "addictions":
Binga, the girl, likes anything wool - not so unusual I know - but she doesn't play w/ the string, she takes the whole skein - or at least as much as she can - and takes it on the couch w/ her, leaving a "trail of evidence" if the string got caught on the basket...lol...and if DD forgets to close her roomdoor and she can get into it, DD's gloves, legwarmers and hats are spread all over the apartment when we get home...lol

Simba, her brother and littermate, is a bit more extreme: he's the thief in our family! Our last move took us from a carperted throughout to no carpet at all and shortly after I had to buy new hairbands - which we always had to many of - and I couldn't explain why evertime I entered the bathroom the "scrunchy drawer" would be left open and I blamed my husband & DD - and a couple of weeks later I found them all under the couches. He gets onto the sink and OPENS the drawer to get his fix...lol

Besides that they both love bags - of any kind - and the water multipack thing. I find it hilarious how they "lurk" in there and just freeze when you enter the room and swear you cannot see them!

And if I leave my earplugs on my nightstand w/out the container they will disappear. They're the "pretty in pink" ones, almost florescent pink and they love swatting them all over the place.

Do any of your cats eat paper?

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunder found my spongey curlers under the bathroom sink. I gave in and let her have only one. She loves them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always thought my cats were weird b/c when I was a child we had a couple of Kitties(one at a time) and none of them did anything even remotely similar, then of course back then in the "old country" they were inside/outside cats and probably did their mischief outdoors - except for the occasional dead mouse by terrace door, inside or out !

Simba, her brother and littermate, is a bit more extreme: he's the thief in our family! Our last move took us from a carperted throughout to no carpet at all and shortly after I had to buy new hairbands - which we always had to many of - and I couldn't explain why evertime I entered the bathroom the "scrunchy drawer" would be left open and I blamed my husband & DD - and a couple of weeks later I found them all under the couches. He gets onto the sink and OPENS the drawer to get his fix...lol

Do any of your cats eat paper?
I was the same way as you having had a cat as a child that was indoor/outdoor, so I didn't see most of his mischief either.  Actually before I started reading the forums on here I thought that Archer must be pretty strange for some of the things that he'd get up to, but nope, he's just a typical kitty and now I get to see all of his hijinks since he's indoors only

Archer is my little thief!  His favorite thing to steal are these icepack things that I have.  Hard to describe, but they're basically a cross between a sleep mask and a bean bag.  I use them because I get migraines, and Archer just loves them!  He's always trying to steal them if I set them down for a few minutes & he's even tried to steal it right off of my head before!  Crazy boy:)  He also loves my metal barrettes, probably because if they're left open they're kind of springy.  He adores batting them all over the place and carrying them around.

Archer is a paper shredder, but he doesn't eat it fortunately.  If you leave the Sunday paper sitting on the coffee table he'll jump up and go to town on it!  And both Archer and Hugo love to chew on cardboard boxes.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
One of my cats thinks my electric toothbrush is the best toy ever!  She chews on the head--yes, the part I'm supposed to put in my mouth--knocks it over, rolls it around...I've had to start hiding it in the bathroom drawer, I only bring it out now to recharge it.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely!. So glad I (TRY) to keep my boy out of the bathroom unless supervised. I'll now check my toothbrush if he's managed to break in....

He just loves paper, my post is the main target. He looks out the window for the postie and races to the door waiting for stuff to come through the door. Then as soon as I pick it up he's jumping to get it out of my hand. Same when I'm reading, even if I stand up and hold it at head height he'll be bouncing up to try and get it from me. Shredded bills, birthday cards, everything! Books, newspapers and magazines are just as at risk and pretty much all my books have chewed corners:(  And yes, he loves to chew on paper bags and boxes too and I always have a couple lying about for him to play with and sink his teeth in to- I always cut handles off bags though as he gets his head stuck in them! If the handles are paper I tie them together in a knot and he plays with them too, like toy mice.  I think maybe he should have been called chewy. Cardboard's not so bad but I can't leave any paper or books out, even if I hide them underneath something else he ferrets around, pulls a bit out and starts to chew. I didn't think he ate paper but I caught him swallowing a well chewed soggy corner of paper he'd torn off a notepad the other day. One of his favourite games is racing after paper aeroplanes made out of letters and stuff once I've read them.

His best trick was steeling a £20 note out of a friend's handbag and running off down my hall with it! Thankfully we got it back in one piece

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
His best trick was steeling a £20 note out of a friend's handbag and running off down my hall with it! Thankfully we got it back in one piece
That's great!  You could make some money with that trick!  LOL  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Every time I see Bowser I just have to laugh at his amazing expression... but this is just hilarious.   What a character!

Nilah does the same, BTW, but she will then eat it.. I have to be so careful or she will literally create her own furballs.
That's too funny--his Mini-Me!!