Update from Angel's mommy. 😊 (Sorry, long post)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy you were able to get Panther neutered and he's so chill about it! Great news!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Sorry. Things have been so crazy. I haven't been here in a little while. I've been trying to fill at least two cleaning openings I have. It's been crazy w/ everything going on in our world today. Just trying to get by. Things are definitely tight right now!!

Here's a little Saturday Panther playtime to make us all smile. 😊

New video by Kelly R

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi furriends! 😺. Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I've been meaning to post, but like most, I've been busy, or / or tired, & then forget.....🤔.
(Oh, & just got word, my older client is back home, so I'll be resuming cleaning her place! She'll be just downstairs for a while. Has a bed down there now, so less money, but glad to have her back, because hadn't filled her spot yet, so it all worked out!)

The kitties are doing good. Honey is still shy/ skiddish. (wish she wasn't, because I'd really like to spot treat her!)
Panther is doing great since his neuter. Still my crazy, silly, lovey boy. 💙
I'm definitely in love with that one.💞
Since it cooled off, I made them a little"megshift" house with a big microwave box my parents still had. (Everytime I looked at Walmart for big bins, the isle was literally about empty! ). But of course, I fixed the box up, & it's worked out pretty good.
I cut a window out in the back, then used clear packing tape over it, so I could see inside, from inside.
I managed to sqeeze both beds in there.
I already had a couple of blankets, but went to good will to find a twin size comforter to put in there, or more blankets. I found an afghan that I'm sure someone's grandma knitted, & a fleece blanket. The afagn feels like wool, so put that on the bottom for them to lay on & stay warm. I used the fleece blanket to kind of create a front wall to help block cool air. The two I had in the back to try to half way cover them up, or surround them. They seem to like it.
Panther will get in & let me "tuck him in." I cover him up with the blankets & he's content. 😊💙.
It's done well, withstanding a couple of rains. My dad gave me a tarp to put over it to help, but after a good long rain last Mon. It started to droop. I used an old tension curtain rod I had to prop it up in front for now.
I'd been looking at heated cat houses on amazon, but any big enough for the two of them, were expensive. I looked at dog houses & found a nice big one for a little over $60. So got it, along with a heated outside pet pad to go in it. The house will be here this WK! I'm going to have my dad cut a window in the back of it, like I did the box, so I'll be able to see them, if they're in there, etc.... He has a piece of plexiglass that he'll put on there & seal it. I'll probably eventually get a roll of that silver insulation to put in there. Got it in my amazon list!
The house has two clear flaps for the door, so I'll start w/ it up & open, the once they get used to it, I'll put one down, the eventually the other.
I'll attach a link to it, if anyone is interested in it for any outside kitties. It's nice & big.
Since it's more vertical w/ the door at the end, vs/ in front like the box, I probably won't put their beds in there, but just the blankets arranged bunched up like beds. The heat pet pad says not to put blankets or anything on it, so I'll just put that in the center on top of the blankets. I'm excited about it, & I'll feel better knowing they have it. Hopefully they'll take to it, since I'll put it in the same spot. 🤞
Well, it's saying my upload is to large again, 🤷 don't know what's different from any other pictures I've attached? So posting links...sorry.

New photo by Kelly R

New photo by Kelly R

New photo by Kelly R

New photo by Kelly R

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QJ9EU2/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PH45YCD/?tag=thecatsite

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some recent pictures of Panther.💙

Also wondering, has anyone started a thread this year on posting our Christmas trees & decorations? Being in a new place this year, I've loved decorating! If not, I'd be glad to start one! 😊🎄

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(Oh, & just got word, my older client is back home, so I'll be resuming cleaning her place! She'll be just downstairs for a while. Has a bed down there now, so less money, but glad to have her back, because hadn't filled her spot yet, so it all worked out!)
That's wonderful news about your older client. Great that she's well enough to go back home, but also great that you have a client back again.

Some recent pictures of Panther.💙
Lovely pictures, as always. Hopefully someday Miss Honey will be brave enough to come inside and get to play with some of Panther's toys for a bit.

Thanks again for caring for them, and for getting them their new house for Christmas. :petcat:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, thank you. Yes, I've tried a few times with Honey, & she just wants no part. Other than coming a little close for treats, but then backs back up even when I gently drop more in front of her. 😕 Wish I knew her story.
I'd love to have an animal communicator come & see what she gets from them.
The more I watch them, I really think she may be Panthers mom. They are so close & bonded. It made me kind of confirm that thought a couple of times. Once, she was coming down the hill from the fence to the patio, & Panther was way over to the side, in the corner. I saw her call for him (only time I'd seen this), with a little "merrrow?" Like a momma calls her babies, & he came running! Then, one other time, another little cat showed up & as inactive as I see her, she is the one who took off after it, then Panther followed in persute. Luckily just to the side of the building & I hearded my two bk to here. Told them to leave that little kitty alone. So it was like she was being a protective momma.

This is the closest I've gotten with her, she doesn't come alone often, so I don't get to work with her much, or try to anyway. Tried to get her to play this morning after Panther left, but she left....

New video by Kelly R

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... Honey is so pretty, and you're so patient with her. I'm sure eventually you'll win her over.

Although she's got a lot going on in her life right now, I'm going to tag Jcatbird Jcatbird who has socialized close 100 ferals. When she has a chance, she might have some thoughts about Honey.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw that rubysmama rubysmama tagged me here. It’s late tonight but I will be back to read your thread. So very sorry I can’t do it immediately but I have sick parents. For now, patience and repetition with feeding and treats can help. Sitting with them in a quiet manner. I often got under a twerp with the ferals and just laid there as though I were another cat! Lol I did not pursue them but let them come to investigate me. I made myself available as much as possible. Luring kitties in neater is most easily done with yummy foods. If possible, put a food dish near where you sit on the grouch. Each time they allow that, move it a bit closer the next time. Just don’t give up! They obviously trust you already so build that trust. I’ll be back!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw that rubysmama rubysmama tagged me here. It’s late tonight but I will be back to read your thread. So very sorry I can’t do it immediately but I have sick parents. For now, patience and repetition with feeding and treats can help. Sitting with them in a quiet manner. I often got under a twerp with the ferals and just laid there as though I were another cat! Lol I did not pursue them but let them come to investigate me. I made myself available as much as possible. Luring kitties in neater is most easily done with yummy foods. If possible, put a food dish near where you sit on the grouch. Each time they allow that, move it a bit closer the next time. Just don’t give up! They obviously trust you already so build that trust. I’ll be back!
No problem. No rush. Take care of your family. You'll see , if you get time to read through the thread. It's long, I know. But I've been feeding them twice a day. Honey will get w/ in a ft or two of me, especially when giving treats, & will sometimes still back up when I put her food dwn, she's just not trusting.
Its been like 7 months now....
Panther has turned out to be my love bug!! 💕 I'm in love with that boy. 💙

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I’ve had time to read your thread now. You’re doing great! Rescued Squirrel too! Awesome! I have raised a few myself but for release. They are so cute!
You are really doing well with teaching Honey to trust. She is already over the biggest hurdles and does trust you. Are you giving her the treats while standing up? I can’t tell. If you try sitting at her level, she will be a little more at ease. She is so close to coming right to you! My favorite cat lure is Gerber 2nd foods, all meat baby food chicken. If you use and human foods make sure to read the ingredients so kitties don’t get anything like onion or garlic in the food. The baby food is great because most kitties find it irresistable ! Slightly warmed it puts off more scent and it takes time for kitty to lick it up which means more time spent with you sitting there. It should be used the way you use treats. Special occasions and not a real meal. At each feeding of baby food, just sit and talk to her. Over time keep moving the food dish closer to you. Eventually it should be right against you or even in your lap. Stay still at first and let her trust that she can eat it undisturbed. Once she trusts that, you may be able to skip in a finger touch or even use the brush that you use on Panther. Honey knows his scent is safe. Just a single stroke at first and then lay the brush where she can investigate it. You might also try leaving an item of clothing or blanket that carries your scent for them to sleep on or to put the food dish on. I think all you need is time. Laying on the grouch, belly up and unmoving may lead her to sniff around you too. If you start outside and later move inside the door frame, she may follow after full trust of the house has been established. I have pulled in strays and ferals and each goes at their own pace. Honey is not too far out of reach from what I see. I don’t know if they lost their human previously but I they seem to have claimed you as their new human. You have earned the honor! You have my complete gratitude for helping them! They are both precious kitties! Please do keep us updated as you can. We love watching rescues and happy kitties!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I’ve had time to read your thread now. You’re doing great! Rescued Squirrel too! Awesome! I have raised a few myself but for release. They are so cute!
You are really doing well with teaching Honey to trust. She is already over the biggest hurdles and does trust you. Are you giving her the treats while standing up? I can’t tell. If you try sitting at her level, she will be a little more at ease. She is so close to coming right to you! My favorite cat lure is Gerber 2nd foods, all meat baby food chicken. If you use and human foods make sure to read the ingredients so kitties don’t get anything like onion or garlic in the food. The baby food is great because most kitties find it irresistable ! Slightly warmed it puts off more scent and it takes time for kitty to lick it up which means more time spent with you sitting there. It should be used the way you use treats. Special occasions and not a real meal. At each feeding of baby food, just sit and talk to her. Over time keep moving the food dish closer to you. Eventually it should be right against you or even in your lap. Stay still at first and let her trust that she can eat it undisturbed. Once she trusts that, you may be able to skip in a finger touch or even use the brush that you use on Panther. Honey knows his scent is safe. Just a single stroke at first and then lay the brush where she can investigate it. You might also try leaving an item of clothing or blanket that carries your scent for them to sleep on or to put the food dish on. I think all you need is time. Laying on the grouch, belly up and unmoving may lead her to sniff around you too. If you start outside and later move inside the door frame, she may follow after full trust of the house has been established. I have pulled in strays and ferals and each goes at their own pace. Honey is not too far out of reach from what I see. I don’t know if they lost their human previously but I they seem to have claimed you as their new human. You have earned the honor! You have my complete gratitude for helping them! They are both precious kitties! Please do keep us updated as you can. We love watching rescues and happy kitties!
Thanks so much for the info. Most I already knew, thanks to being on this site for ....wow, 9 years now! It's gone by fast!!
Yes, I was sitting inside the door when giving her treats. I always do when I give treats to them. I can possibly try the baby food trick, but most times, she literally will not come to her plate until I've gone inside. Even if Panther goes to her plate, she'll walk away & not finish. Just lets him have it. I try to keep an eye on them when they're eating, because I'll usually have to try & distract Panther w/ treats after he's finished, or he'll go to her plate, & she doesn't get to finish, & eats slower. Rarely has she come back to her plate once I've gotten him away from it.
Sometimes I'll pick hers up, if there's still plenty left, & bring it inside & cover it in hopes she'll come back a little later by herself, so she can finish her dinner.
If I sit out there, she will not come to the patio. She definitely keeps her distance. I think maybe the few times I did she stayed a good 2-3 feet away, even when giving treats. I've even tried to intice her with a wand toy, w/ me sitting inside the door & the door mostly closed. Nope! She wasn't buying it. 😼. I'll always be trying with her. She's just going to be one that takes a long time.
I keep telling her that she can trust me, that I just want to love her & care for her. That she would feel so much better with brushies, & medicine so the buggies don't get her.😊
I've also told them that I would never leave them like they've been left before. That if I ever had to move, they were coming.

I think I found this place after looking for 20 months for a few reasons, & they are the main one. Angel & Sammie were looking over from the rainbow bridge, & sent me a new boy & girl to love. ❤💙

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe they did direct Panther and Honey to you. Isn’t it interesting how cats find humans they can trust? They know.
Obviously you have great experience and have done your research. I mostly work with very feral kitties rather than semi feral, lost or strayed. The only think I can think of right now that I did not suggest is what I did with some of my more difficult ferals. Not many people are going to want to do this. Lol I either layed down under a tarp or just camouflaged myself under blankets and tarps. Sort of camped out there with them. Of course the cats understood at some point that I was there but I suspect they also knew how much trouble and time it would take me to get out from under all that. Lol Silly hooman! I think you already have everything going well and time is all it will take. Honey looks very calm when she is taking the treats. I’m sure you will get her closer when she is ready. Maybe the baby food will at least be helpful.