Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom S silent meowlook

Yes yes,all is going really well! Just yesterday I was looking at Timmy and thinking " Well,I think you're ready to find your place amongst us all"..... Timmy runs down to reach through the rungs to touch one of the others as they go by,they lie down and he lies beside them.. If I just touch the door or approach it he rushes out to rub on my legs and he's so under my feet I can hardly move- back to his affectionate self seems to have forgotten I was momentarily the bad guy!

Everyday he gets supervised visits with Bella and Max,Bella he takes a hiss and a pat from but Max he dominates by a grip on the neck with his mouth and he's sure to claim me with pheromones,blockkng Max's path out( which is getting by me) ... nothing aggressive but something to watch
I usually have to pick Max up because Timmy won't budge put of the way and Max won't go over him.. Sami still doesn't want to engage iPappy iPappy reminded me Sami regarded Timmy as a stranger from the unfamiliar scents when he came back from the Vet..... Timmy knows Sami and really wants his pal but Sami is going to have to reacquainted

Now there's also Graycie who I never attempt introductions as she's a timid loner and prefers to watch from a distance,she'll take her own time as she always has- she is indeed a very Gracious lady

I was just about ready to gate off half the living room to give it a go and then Timmy got a bit aggressive towards little Bella for no apparent reason & I said" Timmy,you just added some more time to your confinement buddy"

That's where we are at....Timmy's getting very pushy when I'm in the entrance ,doesn't want to move from my legs so I have to literally bend over with both hands on his sides and manually move him over,lol he used to do that outside before the capture,he was getting quite familiar with being handled-I don't like pushing cats with legs,they shouldn't be afraid to rub or be near imo..Mine all understand " move" as I always "say" move as I place their bodies out of my way-Im expectations Timmy to respond in kind after a while

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes yes,all is going really well! Just yesterday I was looking at Timmy and thinking " Well,I think you're ready to find your place amongst us all"..... Timmy runs down to reach through the rungs to touch one of the others as they go by,they lie down and he lies beside them.. If I just touch the door or approach it he rushes out to rub on my legs and he's so under my feet I can hardly move- back to his affectionate self seems to have forgotten I was momentarily the bad guy!
Great to hear this. Progressing day by day!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so wonderful of you to do all you are doing for Timmy!
So happy to know he is doing well!
To be quite honest I never feel I can do enough-oh to have money to do as I please I'd have a cat sanctuary for every cat that is considered unadoptable,better of where they are and impossible to socialize,humph Each one would enjoy life to the fullest ,if only I could.

Timmy's just one little guy who didn't get a fair shake, maybe somebody out there will see that it's not inpossible,they're not better off where they are and socialization is simply a process -then I'd feel I'm doing something really wonderful

It's great we have this terrific community to share with one another,support and help each other im whatever capacity we can but the best part is we set an example for all our guests , curious cats who are hoping to be encouraged to at least TRY,to be proactive because we can all make a difference( one cat at a time)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Even in many of the communities of feral cat rescuers, there is the belief that the cats must be a kitten to tame. Or that a cat who has spent his life outside, will never be happy inside. It just isn't true, My own personal cats were both outdoor cats. Cheetah was 4 to 5 months and many generations feral, living in the mountains, The kind of feral where you don't see them ever. With her, she fell down a dried up 30 foot water well and was stuck there for 3 days. It took a while, but she is wonderful and inseparable from me. She has never wanted to go outside again. She is timid with people she doesn't know. Omypaw was about 3years old, living outside with an injured paw. He is a happy team player. He would love to go outside and reminds me of that every couple of months, but other than that he is extremely happy,

There have been so many outdoor stray and feral cats that with patience and some empathy, can become wonderful indoor happy cats. I wish people would realize that.

It is such a stereotype as well. You never hear people saying that a dog has been living outside so he or she can only be a barn dog and not suitable for pet life. This is why I would like to start the "MEOW 2" movement.

You have done wonderful work with him, and I think your efforts will pay off with others being inspired to try.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
S silent meowlook

That's absolutely right, just AINT true!!! Love Cheetah & Ohmypaw stories-we just have to continue to tell tell their "tails",lol

What is Meow2 movement,I'm sure a post about the movement is not going off Topic,maybe Timmy can be a poster child,lol Like your Cheetah we are talking about F1's ,rarely are they seen as they remain well hidden..... When animal control trapped Mama & her babies(,because of complaints people heard kittens crying )they didn't see Timmy or he would have been euthanized with his family -I can't imagine anyone watching this and not stopping it..... but that's how that woman knew he was out there,alone..... I do wish she contacted me back then and not years later- it makes me so mad,still

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,Timmy gets a little fresh with his guests but he has established tye enclosure as "his" territory,which is a good sign for when he is released into the rest of the house as he "should" retreat to it if he feels threatened ,insecure or anything . Yep"should",lol

So ,his little fiesty reaction to smack the others or try to nip their legs is easy to manage with my intervention but gives me " paws" because I will not have much control once he is no longer confined..

I've got 1 Dr appt where I'll be gone for several hours so after that I should not have to leave for any length of time-Im thinking of letting him out after that appt-I think my other cats will be able to handle themselves accordingly I only see Max might be the one to need more attention than tye others- he's young,playful and does not know what to do most times-he looks completely puzzled by an unwelcoming reaction,he's never experienced that and runs over to play with any unfamiliar creature

Not sure about the right time,is there really ever a right time? Unlike domestic intros if it doesnt go well we can back up and take it slower by seperation- once this guy is out,lol ,that's it- hes out.therell be no picking him up to separate

Just thinking out loud-feedback is always welcomed

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not sure about the right time,is there really ever a right time? Unlike domestic intros if it doesnt go well we can back up and take it slower by seperation- once this guy is out,lol ,that's it- hes out.therell be no picking him up to separate
I think the time is almost ripe. Since the gang has been in and out of the enclosure and they seems alright, I think just leave the enclosure door opened and let it be a normal daily routine till they hey can go unsupervised (but of course you still have to keep an eye on them) and move on from there.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the time is almost ripe. Since the gang has been in and out of the enclosure and they seems alright, I think just leave the enclosure door opened and let it be a normal daily routine till they hey can go unsupervised (but of course you still have to keep an eye on them) and move on from there.
Ya think? But definitely wait until I have no time consuming appts,right? I won't want to leave them for that long until I know everyone will be alright- appt is 25th

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

Even if you don't have time consuming appts, you still need to keep an eye on them when you are home (just in case)
Absolutely,they're hardly out of my sight and the enclosure is smack in the middle of the living area- I'll keep the bedroom closed so Timmys not too overwhelmed with the big space....the others will let me know if they want in the bedroom

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,after that they got on the same shelf-Max wants to play ,Timmy smacked him and Max is looking at me to let him out-lol
Time for me to go in and join them- "play nice boys "

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well,after that they got on the same shelf-Max wants to play ,Timmy smacked him and Max is looking at me to let him out-lol
Time for me to go in and join them- "play nice boys "
But it’s good to see that they are going into the enclosure and that makes them get use to the whole set up and Timmy’s smacking Max is like ‘Hey, look, behave!’ 😄

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
But it’s good to see that they are going into the enclosure and that makes them get use to the whole set up and Timmy’s smacking Max is like ‘Hey, look, behave!’ 😄
I do believe you're right-Max needs to learn you just can't do whatever you feel like at any given moment Max is much like a change of life baby,took Max in-everyone just adored the "baby" and I had so much going on at that time that Max got away with everything,he even prefers riding on my walker when we all go for walks because I was too weak to take time to train him,was easier to just wheel him around or carry him- he's very spoiled and barely knows commands like everyone else....he simply caught on ,not to my credit- lol

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom tabbytom
I clicked on it but not available for anroid,I will use it on my computer-your instruction thread is very helpful.... IrfanView suggests alternatives for phone so I'll have to try one..

TT,they're all doing very well-Timmy and Max will inevitably rough n tumble,they do it now inside the enclosure but I think they're going to be just fine-Timmy is great,he's very curious & interested in everything we all do.... he mostly ignores the TV now and sometimes he even watches it so he's no longer terrified

He doesn't care if Bella is in there or if she eats his snacks... and finally Sami has walked over to give him a look over without hissing or growling.....Graycie,she's just a good girl,doesn't bother a soul and just likes to watch from her vertical space,she doesn't mind

I'd like somebody to use his litter box so he can learn to share

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom

Not really much to say at this point,just waiting for my 4hr appt and then next day Timmy can come out if he chooses to

He is gaining interest in what toys are- he sees the others and grabs the little ball inside his cage- noticed the laser finally and follows it with his eyes now because he sees everyone else interested......Max grooms Timmy's head -Timmys not quite sure if he likes it yet but he's allowing it,lol- progress .Bella gets a little feisty sometimes and redirects her smacks onto Max- Max just gets it from everyone but he's a sweet guy and comes to Mama to be held-Sami still doesn't give Timmy the time of day and Graycie is content watching from her cat tree!
It'll be interesting to see what happens next week!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom

Not really much to say at this point,just waiting for my 4hr appt and then next day Timmy can come out if he chooses to

He is gaining interest in what toys are- he sees the others and grabs the little ball inside his cage- noticed the laser finally and follows it with his eyes now because he sees everyone else interested......Max grooms Timmy's head -Timmys not quite sure if he likes it yet but he's allowing it,lol- progress .Bella gets a little feisty sometimes and redirects her smacks onto Max- Max just gets it from everyone but he's a sweet guy and comes to Mama to be held-Sami still doesn't give Timmy the time of day and Graycie is content watching from her cat tree!
It'll be interesting to see what happens next week!
Very good progress! :clapcat: