Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All!
I need help,hopefully someone here with some experience can talk with me.I am a retired woman ,used to train animals professionally & this is a first for me in 6 decades because Im not working in a controlled setting,Im a bit beside myself because Ive got 2 blown out knees,not agile & "Kwik"anymore ,I have 4 wonderful sweet indoor cats and the dynamic is wonderful-Im sure most of you can relate to the old"Thats it 4 is my max".....yeah,right!
So,I live in a Condo with nasty animal hating neighbors,surrounded by a parking lot much like Daytona 500 & unbeknownst to me some"cat lover"(sarcasm)spotted a lone feral kitten 7yrs ago,had him captured(it was very traumatic by inexperienced)& TNR'd the little fellow into the parking lot,yes,go figure?There are no ferals or strays where I live This woman never made contact or engaged with him,simply left Temptation treats under a bush twice a day
Fast forward to a year ago,the woman called me because 3 yrs ago the cat was hit by a car and suffered a broken leg,she & her friend couldnt find him & asked if I saw this kitty....he was hiding under a bush near my building,I got antibiotics,treated his wound,a couple of hisses ,,growls & swats but he knew I was there to help,fed him ,brought him water and told no one where he was.....after he healed he went back to his feeding spot-I do not support feeding strays,I believe every animal deserves a home.Anyway ,after that "timmy" visited me every night as Id walk my Bengal (on leash) to get my mail,throw out the garbage etc... then last yr the woman tells me shes leaving Florida & would I "feed" Timmy......I said under one condition(she & her friend never feed him again & say good bye)...Its difficukt for me to walk & believe it or not that very night I walked down to her bldg,saw Timmy & with Temptations for bait he followed me home as I explained to him if he wants food he has to come to my house! Believe it or not,hes shown up twice daily at my house from that day til the present !
It took a full yr and Timmys made lots of progress,I hoped to slowly transition him to indoor living but thats no longer an option,he is no longer safe,the snowbirds are staying and theres so many distractions that Ive made no progress in 3 months.....He comes inside to eat,loves to rub and lay beside my Bengal(Sami) ,he knows my other 3 but no real interactions,he loves to get petted but I can only close the front door at breakfast 5am when theres no noise outside & he only gotten up to 10 minutes before hes ripping the weatherstripping out of the front door,at 5pm I cannot even shut the front door because of the comings & goings outside,hes waaay too distracted-plus,Im exhausted,twice a day Sami & I spend 2 to 3 hrs hanging out with Timmy outside.....we are back to 10 or 15 minutes because of the tons of new residents & cars....
I dont have a separate room for Timmy but I thought it best he hear & see the house noises & us(me & the 4 kitties) so I bought a 6x3x6 outdoor enclosure & placed it right in front of my sliding glass doors inside in the living room......Wednesday is his Vet appt,5am I will use a set over trap,cover it & take him & them HOME......he has been on parasite control for a yr,he was skin & bones,badly malnourshed,full of fleas & worms at first but now hes on a high protien diet of both wet & dry food(still gets those Temptations for crunchies outside when he wants a snack) and I use REvolution so he should be parasite free.....looks great!
So,heres my questions,first the enclosure is wire mesh-I was expecting stretched metal but I spent a ton & thats that-will it hold him,will he freak & for how long do y'all think,lol?It has a full sized door,I bought a 4 ft high foldable playpen to put behind me when I exit & enter,do you think hell try to leap over it? REmember ,Im not agile anymore & Timmy loose in my unit will be a nightmare.......any advice,questions,suggestions......hell be surrounded by my four and I also bought some Feliway diffusers ,dont know what else I can do .......At first I called every working cat program from here to Tampa & no one wanted him....Im his only shot & I just want Timmy to be safe healthy & also happy plus would hate to see my 4 little love bugs stressed or their dynamic thrownm off....

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.Good idea with the enclosure. Please post a picture if you can. Is your plan to take him to your vet or just start him living in the enclosure. It sounds like he is already interacting with your cats.
If the plan is that he start living in the enclosure, how will you get him into it? Or, is he walking into it freely now and you are just going to close the door?

Make sure he had a cardboard box inside so he can feel he is hiding. Flooding can backfire with these guys, so limit interactions at first. Once you have contained him understand if he gets away you won’t see him for a long time if at all.

keep a cover on the enclosure for the start. Until he is more comfortable then keep it half tarred. Be aware of cat’s perception of eye contact or staring as a challenge and do your best not to do it. If he likes the treats toss him a few without any expectation from him. It’s hard to do but limit any interaction you have with him for now. Boredom is your friend. Let him call out to you-or try to engage you. He must make the first move and always stop before he wants to. Think the old saying “Always leave them wanting more”

It takes time. Breakthroughs will be very small. I have tamed down and turned rank feral toms, bouncing off the sides of a cat trap till bloody, into nice friendly house cats. It takes allot of patience.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is a set over trap? I've never heard of that type.

Yes, a full grown cat could easily jump up 4 feet.

Instead of a cardboard box, put his carrier inside the enclosure, and place it so you can easily close its door. Maybe (fingers crossed) he will use it for a sleeping spot. Then you would just have to reach in and close the carrier door. Put treats inside it to entice him in. Are you able to reach into the enclosure through its door?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply-as soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will,lol
When Timmy comes in to eat Wed morning(btw he only eats with me petting him,it's become a thing,I stop petting & he looks at me)and Sami is the lure inside - so after I dose a little gabapentin in his food I'll have to do my best with the Tomahawk 306TX set over trap- then FIRST the Vet, bringing carrier for trip home & carrier will be den( hopefully) inside enclosure.Im figuring he will either try to bolt or stay hidden so I'm a bit worried as I'm half crippled with blown out knees.
I've got the enclosure half covered,you suggest totally?There's also 2 cubbies on shelves 2nd & 3rd tier....Can I put his auto waterer on 2nd teir or on ground for now - let me try to post photo....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the enclosure,my Cousin constructing,Sami(Bengal) posing,Graycie(Russian Blue)checking it out from outside & Max( tabby),approving of the view from inside out❤

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So may I please get advice how to prevent him from scooting out the door when I enter & exit since those 4ft kennel panels won't work
Cardboard box? I am using a hard sided,cage door carrier inside ,scratch post,dirt filled open litter tray
A set over trap I've always used for the ferals & strays that you can approach or pet but can't pick up- it's like any other trap except no bottom,a tray slides in after capture and it has a guillotine door- Years ago I was quite the trapper,now at 70 after cancer battle,hip replacement & bad knees it's quite a different story( Golden years???lol)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm buying a second door for my hallway,so I have a door,hallway & then the front door- it's not done yet....but I'm praying he does not get by me and loose in the house,I'm ready to do whatever it takes for Timmy that he may live the life every cat should have

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh & no,I can't reach through the door,I'd have to open it & I cannot get on my knees..... Im working with wild ones 4 decades and I'm terrified and anxious over this little feral....expecting the worst case scenarios

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, remember that cats are creatures of habit. I think toss a treat into the carrier and close the door of the carrier after he goes in. Then attend to the cage as quickly as possible, let him out and then close the door.

Other thing I have done before and it will look really silly, is to take a large bed sheet. I have it completely over my head and outstretch my arms making a sort of soft wall.

You can also attach a high curtain to the door or around the door also sort of making a soft door.

You are only looking to deter a possible escape by making it look like he can't get out.

Another thought if you are able to enlist your cousin's help. Build or buy a divider for the cage that can have a second door so that will end the worry of him escaping because you will have a two-door thing going on and can leave the second door in the divider open when you are not in there.

Just spit balling here. It is an extremely nice setup.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nice setup indeed!

I like the sheet idea. I'd do something like this: With the door closed, staple one long edge of the sheet to the outside edge of the door, leaving some extra sheeting material at the bottom. Do this ahead of time.

Then when it's time for you to go into the enclosure, bring the opposite edge of the sheet around yourself and staple it to the outside left corner of the enclosure. You will then be surrounded by sheeting which needs to have enough slack to allow the door to be opened, letting you go into the enclosure.

You'll need something to hold the excess sheeting down against the floor to keep Timmy from escaping under the sheet. (Large bags/boxes of cat food? Bags/containers of kitty litter?) Whatever you use, will need to be wrapped inside the sheet with you, and put in place on top of the bottom edge of the sheet, before opening the door.

You'll also need to have pliers with you, to pull the staples out of the corner once Timmy is in his carrier.

Hope this makes sense. It's a shame to mar that nice enclosure with staple holes, but they can be filled with a gray patching material.

Good luck... and let us know how it goes. I know exactly how it feels to need to catch a cat at a particular time, and know that if you mess up you won't have another chance.... agh, the sleepless nights!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi All!
I need help,
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking Timmy in. Bless your heart.

I agree with the above posters and about the second door, can it be installed at the enclosure door, just like what they have in the zoo where they have double doors before entering and exiting the enclosure. This is a good safety measure and yes, cats can jump pretty high.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So, remember that cats are creatures of habit. I think toss a treat into the carrier and close the door of the carrier after he goes in. Then attend to the cage as quickly as possible, let him out and then close the door.

Other thing I have done before and it will look really silly, is to take a large bed sheet. I have it completely over my head and outstretch my arms making a sort of soft wall.

You can also attach a high curtain to the door or around the door also sort of making a soft door.

You are only looking to deter a possible escape by making it look like he can't get out.

Another thought if you are able to enlist your cousin's help. Build or buy a divider for the cage that can have a second door so that will end the worry of him escaping because you will have a two-door thing going on and can leave the second door in the divider open when you are not in there.

Just spit balling here. It is an extremely nice setup.
Spit balling is great,I'm just tickled that there are actually people trying to help,I've been reaching out everywhere possible for the past year and all I've heard is" seems he's thriving,leave him where he is- ferals are best outside". Hmm,really?As if they are indigenous ,immune to disease, poison,speeding cats- Should I go on? Yeah,if he was safe I'd take care of him outside,duh?!
Okay,no it doesn't sound silly at all,I've tossed the thought of a big sheet over my head to deter as well - right now it seems my only option as I don't want to risk his escape into the house ,until I can set up a better thing( & get it done)
Timmy will not enter anything that resembles a box,a hole,a square - I'm thinking it's due to his awful TNR experience,I heard it was really bad,like 4 or 5 failed trapping attempts
Thank you so much for trying to help,you have no idea how much this means to me❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice setup indeed!

I like the sheet idea. I'd do something like this: With the door closed, staple one long edge of the sheet to the outside edge of the door, leaving some extra sheeting material at the bottom. Do this ahead of time.

Then when it's time for you to go into the enclosure, bring the opposite edge of the sheet around yourself and staple it to the outside left corner of the enclosure. You will then be surrounded by sheeting which needs to have enough slack to allow the door to be opened, letting you go into the enclosure.

You'll need something to hold the excess sheeting down against the floor to keep Timmy from escaping under the sheet. (Large bags/boxes of cat food? Bags/containers of kitty litter?) Whatever you use, will need to be wrapped inside the sheet with you, and put in place on top of the bottom edge of the sheet, before opening the door.

You'll also need to have pliers with you, to pull the staples out of the corner once Timmy is in his carrier.

Hope this makes sense. It's a shame to mar that nice enclosure with staple holes, but they can be filled with a gray patching material.

Good luck... and let us know how it goes. I know exactly how it feels to need to catch a cat at a particular time, and know that if you mess up you won't have another chance.... agh, the sleepless nights!
Great idea,looks like I have to go buy a stapler today!I'm not quite sure I understand the stapling on the other end of the enclosure ,I get the door side. ...Ooh,how about that portable pen thing? Maybe all I need is to use the sheet as a roof type thingy.....I'm gonna be busy today,hope my knees cooperate today,I'm braced up n ready to get at it after the stores open
Thank you,y'all are just terrific!I'm truly hoping Timmy will use the carrier as a den- we'll see won't we?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking Timmy in. Bless your heart.

I agree with the above posters and about the second door, can it be installed at the enclosure door, just like what they have in the zoo where they have double doors before entering and exiting the enclosure. This is a good safety measure and yes, cats can jump pretty high.
They sure can jump high,I was hoping he might not since he'd have to leap towards me- just can't chance it,a terrified kitty is apt to do what is least expected
I used to work with big cats,my friends can't understand why I'm so anxious over 1 little kitty cat - they don't understand their speed &: agility,a big cat definitely moves slower,you can clearly see their next move and your surrounded by iron bars they cannot escape from,you've room to move and worse case scenarios you have 1 or 2 other assistants for distraction- they just don't get it- these little fur balls are like lightening....
Yep, definitely need to construct a better double door type thing .. I think I'll make use of the portable cage pen & figure out something as a canopy- so I'll need that stapler &:looks like it'll be a busy day
How do you think that'll work- any ideas for a canopy?At least if he darts out into that cage wire he'll see it's solid,right?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any thoughts on leaving the TV on- I'm thinking at first it might be too much to take in-when I first started to try to coax him inside the house to eat he was extremely reluctant until I realized he heard the TV on and probably thought there were people"back there"- I shut it off and in he came
. Also,I'm a bit reluctant to use the set over trap,how do you feel about simply gloving up and wrangling him into a carrier- Id like the least stress but really don't think either way will be any more or less stressful....though grabbing him might be less chance of escape? Thoughts? Pretty difficult only being able to bend at the waist,dang knees!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How do you think that'll work- any ideas for a canopy?At least if he darts out into that cage wire he'll see it's solid,right?
If you are afraid that he bash straight into the cage wire, yes, he'll see that it's solid.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay TT,so that's the plan,should I try home Depot for something to make a canopy from the cage panels to top of enclosure or do you think a sheet oughta do it?So basically from the top of the cage panels(4ft high) to the top of enclosure & top of door( 72"height- sound like a plan

I must get this done before getting home from Vet tomorrow,I don't want to be making a racket around him after he's in the enclosure......oh,do you think that wire mesh is gonna hold up to a clawing,climbing, thrashing cat?I'm so terrified - do you think I'm overthinking this whole thing? I just try to be ready for anything because once your in a mess it's kinda too late......

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention,Timmy has learned to meow - it took months but then he realized a way to get my attention when I couldn't see him....I'm in a Condo,if he starts yowling is it better I ignore him so as not to reinforce the idea of getting my attention- oh my mind,it's been racing all month!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope I'm not being a pest here? I fooled around with the portable pen & I will add a couple of photos,gonna get to the store to see what kind of tarp I might be able to use,some tie wraps to attach to the cage panels and a couple of bricks to hold down on the enclosure roof---- might be weird enough looking that he will not even try to jump up there,basically cats what to know what their jumping into,right? So,here's the outer cage idea,I'm just not fast enough to keep him from getting past me and he's real used to being around my legs,walks along side me every morning ( even with my rolling walker with Max riding on the seat & Sam on his leash,goes between my legs when I'm sitting & knows no threats there....

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay TT,so that's the plan,should I try home Depot for something to make a canopy from the cage panels to top of enclosure or do you think a sheet oughta do it?So basically from the top of the cage panels(4ft high) to the top of enclosure & top of door( 72"height- sound like a plan
Good plan. You can get a solid tarp or netting. Maybe netting will be a better choice coz you still can see Timmy and he can see you. Unless you get more of the cage panels and hooks it all the way up in line with the top of the door of enclosure, this way is easier and y=the netting or canopy won't get in the way wage you open or close the enclose door.
But make sure that the outer cage is secured firmly to the enclosure so that if Timmy bash out and through, the cage will not collapse.

Forgot to mention,Timmy has learned to meow - it took months but then he realized a way to get my attention when I couldn't see him....I'm in a Condo,if he starts yowling is it better I ignore him so as not to reinforce the idea of getting my attention- oh my mind,it's been racing all month!
It' good that he's meowing. It means he's confident and getting your attention also means that he needs you.

Hope I'm not being a pest here? I fooled around with the portable pen & I will add a couple of photos,gonna get to the store to see what kind of tarp I might be able to use,some tie wraps to attach to the cage panels and a couple of bricks to hold down on the enclosure roof---- might be weird enough looking that he will not even try to jump up there,basically cats what to know what their jumping into,right? So,here's the outer cage idea,I
Of course you are not being a pest. Asking stupid questions is better than not asking questions. Ask all you want and we try our best to assist you.

If you extend the cage all the way up to flush with the enclosure (which I think it's neater this way) you can use a tarp and make a roof over the cage.