Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
20230617_074820.jpg

Timmy's been out of hiding since about 5am( 3 hrs) just watching outside the patio,me,the gang
About midnight he came out of cubby to use litter box & he noticed the door open,bravely he stepped out onto the carpeted area that's caged in and he and Max were nose to nose touching each other with paws,Sami came over & the same....and then Bella,she hissed,stuck her tiny paws through the rungs to smack him but he wasn't really phased.... then Bella lied on her back,belly up trying to touch Timm,he lied down( paws tucked)and just gazed around for some time......then he tried to test that door( which I don't trust much) so I distracted him and when he went back in his enclosure I closed the door...big step for him today

Feeding around the enclosure seems to be motivating him to eat a bit more-then treat time he joined in as well.....

It's good to see him out of the cubby ..... after he's more comfy I might extend that caged area out to the patio so he can wander out there next now that it's escape proofed...... it might be soon,it might not-depends on his comfort level

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He's getting braver,lol
And everyone sticks there paws through the rungs,Max steal treats,Bella &Sami want to touch him and Timmy is watching them more and more..... funny,Graycie is the most timid,likes her own space but she's usually the one lying near to Timmy ..... no one hisses,no growling
Sometimes someone follows me into the enclosure when I'm petting Timmy,then after he lies in his litter box after he checks out their scents (-"mine")

I'd say he's doing pretty well

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He's getting braver,lol
And everyone sticks there paws through the rungs,Max steal treats,Bella &Sami want to touch him and Timmy is watching them more and more..... funny,Graycie is the most timid,likes her own space but she's usually the one lying near to Timmy ..... no one hisses,no growling
Sometimes someone follows me into the enclosure when I'm petting Timmy,then after he lies in his litter box after he checks out their scents (-"mine")

I'd say he's doing pretty well
5c690171512d2fe4c8e4e634e3438eb9.gif

You guys are doing great! Keep it up!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 452782

You guys are doing great! Keep it up!
Thanks TT.....and being all the kids free feed plus their twice a day wet food,Timmy gets the same now(I'm tapering off his high protein natural instinct ( outdoor )dry food into the metabolic( indoor)-..... he looks forward to wet meal time,waits expectedly like everyone else as I prepare the dishes...

My crew is a bit confused by the new eating place( around the enclosure) but they all follow along for now-I look forward to everyone returns to their respective places but we all have to make temporary adjusts for newest family member

Thank you for all your support and cheering us on
1687423123767.gif

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks TT.....and being all the kids free feed plus their twice a day wet food,Timmy gets the same now(I'm tapering off his high protein natural instinct ( outdoor )dry food into the metabolic( indoor)-..... he looks forward to wet meal time,waits expectedly like everyone else as I prepare the dishes...

My crew is a bit confused by the new eating place( around the enclosure) but they all follow along for now-I look forwa
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

It's great to hear that you roped in the others to have meals with Timmy and this way it sure works and help Timmy and the crew to get use to each other.

I'm thinking that very soon Timmy will be hanging out with the rest. In see that the entrance is opned for Timmy to explore as well as for the crew to get inside to be with him. Maybe this set up will work both ways.

Yes, wet food is good for them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 452807

It's great to hear that you roped in the others to have meals with Timmy and this way it sure works and help Timmy and the crew to get use to each other.

I'm thinking that very soon Timmy will be hanging out with the rest. In see that the entrance is opned for Timmy to explore as well as for the crew to get inside to be with him. Maybe this set up will work both ways.

Yes, wet food is good for them.
Yes,I do hope so-I think as he is getting more acclimated ,maybe another week or so I'll extend that area into a sort of playpen to go further out into the living room-now that the patio is secured and all screens are caged I was going to make that the next area for Timmy to explore but I'm having second thoughts because he might not want to explore the rest of the house once he's back outside ( on the patio).....I'm thinking the house is a better choice to start-what do you think?
It must be so overwhelming for him,every sight,every sound is so strange having never been inside a house-he watches intently as I'm busy in the kitchen ( microwave,running water,toaster oven,blender) getting used to the usual stuff.. I just say"Its okay Timmy,no big deal '

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes,I do hope so-I think as he is getting more acclimated ,maybe another week or so I'll extend that area into a sort of playpen to go further out into the living room-now that the patio is secured and all screens are caged I was going to make that the next area for Timmy to explore but I'm having second thoughts because he might not want to explore the rest of the house once he's back outside ( on the patio).....I'm thinking the house is a better choice to start-what do you think?
It must be so overwhelming for him,every sight,every sound is so strange having never been inside a house-he watches intently as I'm busy in the kitchen ( microwave,running water,toaster oven,blender) getting used to the usual stuff.. I just say"Its okay Timmy,no big deal '
I think best is to let him go where the rest of the crew goes. This way he'll feels more secure and also follow what the rest do else if let's say if he's out in the patio and does not want to come back in, then you'll have another task at hand.

Yes, he's trying to take in all the sights and sounds in the house as the time spent in the house is not long enough for him to get used to all that and so let him get use to the sights and sounds and at the same time tell him it's ok.

Keep to the routines and introduce new space slowly to him and use the crew to lead and in whichever way it is, the most important thing is that the crew accept him and vice-versa.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Yes,I don't think he'll figure out the cat flap to the patio for some time so I think it's best not to overthink and just let him move at his own pace WITH the others,he's starting to be very interested in what they are doing,especially when we play laser. ..I'll stick to the routine and first things first,when they all seem to be accepting of one another nicely is when I'll start opening new territorys... patio probably last,no doubt it'll be his favorite like everyone else....So,good advice,why give myself another task if Timmy decides he doesn't want to come in from the patio,far too soon for that
Most times he's not out in the little expanded area so he's certainly not ready for any more space at this time because he's obviously not ready to go with the gang YET ....and yes,their acceptance (both ways),is priority-thanks!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Yes,I don't think he'll figure out the cat flap to the patio for some time so I think it's best not to overthink and just let him move at his own pace WITH the others,he's starting to be very interested in what they are doing,especially when we play laser. ..I'll stick to the routine and first things first,when they all seem to be accepting of one another nicely is when I'll start opening new territorys... patio probably last,no doubt it'll be his favorite like everyone else....So,good advice,why give myself another task if Timmy decides he doesn't want to come in from the patio,far too soon for that
Most times he's not out in the little expanded area so he's certainly not ready for any more space at this time because he's obviously not ready to go with the gang YET ....and yes,their acceptance (both ways),is priority-thanks!
:yeah:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
Timmy just figured out what a bed is,oh he looks so cute lying in a soft little bed,I can just imagine how good that must feel to this boy..... he thought carpet was great and now THIS!!!!He has no idea the luxuries that lie ahead.... so long overdue and well deserved!

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Timmy just figured out what a bed is,oh he looks so cute lying in a soft little bed,I can just imagine how good that must feel to this boy..... he thought carpet was great and now THIS!!!!He has no idea the luxuries that lie ahead.... so long overdue and well deserved!
Timmy's loving and I'm loving it too! :redheartpump::hearthrob:

I think in his mind he must be wondering what have I been missing all this time! Man, this is great!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik
How is Timmy doing?
He's doing very well TT,I'm just tickled to see him snuggled in a bed 20230626_082426.jpg
I bought him some cat grass today and whenever I'm in the enclosure he's acting more & more like he used to before his capture,I showed him the plant and he was head butting my arm and hand,I bent down to clean his box and he's smelling my head,lol
Hes out most of cubby most of the day very interested in everything we all do. Lots of paws through the outer caged area where his door is mostly open-everyone has treats together... Timmy now eats on the 2nd tier shelf closer to the others.... coming along nicely
TT,I need some help because it's been almost a month that I've not watched TV in the living room because Timmy is very frightened by it,sound even more than picture....I started to notice he only came out when I shut it--' and that's the cat TV,,bird videos,cat music....only likes the harp but shut the picture.... any suggestions,the volume is on 1.....I'm kinda missing my shows by now-hes gotten used to the TV sound from my bedroom ... just time?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So am I ever gonna get to watch my shows? How do I get him used to this giant screen TV?
You sure can watch the shows. Either you turn the volume down a little and let him get use to the sounds and slowly increase the volume over the weeks or get a headphone or ear bud and listen to the show and that won't disturb him.

Many cats don't like loud sounds especially rescues from the streets because something may have happened to them that is associated with loud sounds. My boy is one of them. Any loud sounds or sudden loud sounds, he's affected.

Timmy will get use to it but maybe not be a 100% but he may still be bothered by it but at least at a lower degree and at very most, he'll just retreat to his cubby.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom

Thanks because as I mentioned this is a first for me( working out of a facility,in my own personal living space,lol)....I never brought any cat to my home who was so frightened of TV- the sounds yes but he's afraid of the picture!I guess GIANT size squirrels and birds must look pretty scarey.... (65in 4k HD not 5ft from his enclosure)

So do you think it's better to start familiarizing him with it now,little by little or let him settle in more first?It's been 27days inside?And can you give me your opinion if I should begin with sound only,sight only or just as is?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So do you think it's better to start familiarizing him with it now,little by little or let him settle in more first?It's been 27days inside?And can you give me your opinion if I should begin with sound only,sight only or just as is?
He is settling in and still have to do it little by little. Just as long as no sudden loud sound that can startle him. Once he starts coming out. let him explore slowly and you can have the tv on with very low volume and let him explore the tv and sounds but leave his enclosure open so that he can treat to his cubby if he's afraid.

Over time he may get use to it but he may still be weary but it should be ok.