The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Thinking about the difference between cat and human species. This morning I emptied some cat food into a bowl for Treasure and Sopdet when 5 water bugs came running over my hand causing me to drop the bag. I had the thing closed and sealed. Sopdet was happily chasing them though while Treasure ate the spilled food. I'm so happy I was able to oblige them this morning. hahah yuck
Aren't water bugs just big roaches? That's what they called them in Texas when I lived there. I guess they did not want anyone to know that they were roaches although oversized, yuck!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad Cal doesn't mind. That makes it so much easier and less stressful! I used to cut knots out, but my vet talked me out of doing it because she had seen people cut skin that needed stitches. Never happened to me, but now it makes me so nervous! Although, trimming hair with scissors is easier without knots, like how you may be trimming. Glad Cal seems to be enjoying less hair during the summer <3

Tried going to the farmers market this morning. Last week was fine, but walking up to the entrance 1 person was not wearing a mask and another had pulled her mask down while talking, which was 2/5 of the staff members at the informational table at the entrance. Grrrrr. My mom and I left. I felt guilty because I know my mom made a list of things she needed for a recipe and was looking forward to buying, but I didn't want her going in. First, why support the market if they are not following their own rules they ask of attendees, and second, how many attendees will see that and refuse to wear a mask because they saw staff not wearing it? I'm very disappointed and frustrated about that. My mom did say not to feel bad about it, and that she was glad I was there to talk her out of going in because if people weren't wearing mask, she shouldn't take the risk either. Welp, guess the Walmart order is being done sooner than later. On the plus side all my junk food was almost gone, so I was able to order some more goodies: chocolate chip ice cream, Hershey's bar with toffee pieces, and chocolate chip cookie dough. I'm getting real good at gaining weight. ;)
Thank goodness my farmers market which is outdoors has marks on the ground where people are to stand and they do, wearing masks and some even wear gloves, all the vendors wear masks and you point at which piece of fruit or veggie you want, no touching yourself, they put it in a box or in the bag/basket you brought and anyone who does not wear a mask is politely asked by the vendor to please get one at either entrance where they have them for free and hand sanitizers too. Some grumble but do as told. The vendors will not sell to someone not wearing a mask. Even people who brought kids or babies are asked to put a mask on them. In all few people have to be asked to put on masks. I am really glad for that as at my age I certainly do not need to catch the bug. As I see it people who go to farmers markets to get fresh fruit and veggies without pesticides on them are more concerned with their well being than the average joe who does not care as long as it is cheap, that they will do anything to stay healthy and that includes wearing masks these days. Of course many times you pay a few cents more than you pay at the store but that does not matter to folks like me.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is monsoon season like? Is there a lot of flooding? Sending positive energy to your hair style <3 I know a lot of people unhappy with hair right now, especially being unable or putting off haircuts due to the pandemic. Hang in there.
It can get pretty nasty, especially down in the south of the country. It hasn't been too bad during the time that I've been here, at least not in the city.There's a few places that will inevitably flood since they are low-lying (if you've seen the movie Parasite, that's pretty accurate). For us, it's not a constant or predictable rain like you'd get in more southern countries. It's sort of off and on for days at a time as the top of the pressure system kind of moves back and forth over us.

Pleasantly surprised with my hair at the moment. I guess it must be healthier than I thought because it's not too fluffy and wild yet and it has started drizzling.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off. I'm glad nothing was found. It sounds like she might have pulled something. Also if she's judging you for putting off a cleaning that is $500 and there's a pandemic and you aren't working? She can get over it. I hate to say it but if she doesn't understand that maybe you need a new vet? Because vets? They need to work with animals yes BUT they should also be able to work with people too.

My kitties were supposed to get their teeth cleaned in March. The vet when I called them recently to ask about dental chews for the kitties or how to keep their teeth clean? Told me that because I'm high risk she didn't want me to come to the vets office until the virus had a treatment or vaccine. I told her I was worried it wouldn't be until 2022. You know what she told me? That yes yearly cleanings are important but in a pandemic it's ok to hold off a year or two. To try and brush the kitties teeth and give them treats and it would be ok. She told me to check their gums periodically and not stress. Because if I put myself into a situation where myself and my husband get it and pass away? My kitties are going to be in a MUCH worse position without me alive.

I took my kitty Azrael to the vet in January because he was limping for two days. I was a mess. He gets to the vets office? Jumps right on the table with no limp in sight. I was mortified I'd taken him there for nothing. The vet was like 'it happens!' lol

All this talk about dental cleaning for cats and lots of expensive tests. None of my cats ever had their teeth cleaned and they don't get vaccinations either. They are strictly indoors, get a really good diet of excellent kibble and canned food, none of that cheap stuff for my kitties, and they all have had lives without illnesses and have lived to be quite old. There is nothing you can do about them getting cancer or diabetes unless you let them grow fat, or pancreatitis or getting an occasional cold, no vaccinations are going to keep that from happening. They have all their teeth besides Chamouti who had a fang missing when I got him at age 12, so I must be doing something right and not make the vets happy and rich. Sure, Panthera had a very expensive surgery when he was only 2 but that was an anal hernia which could not have been prevented and he lived to be 16 when cancer got him just a month ago. Whatever is ailing Capucchino who is now 20 seems to be on its way out with some kind of antibiotic as she has gained a little weight in just 2 weeks since being put on it. I hope she will keep on gaining weight as she is just fur and bones and had been losing weight over the last 6 months until I got worried and took her in to see the vet. At her best age she weighed 10 lbs but that was 12 years ago, so to see her get so skinny over the years and now in the last 6 months was not good to see. I had thought it was just getting to be an old lady cat. At her age it is not a surprise that she now has a heart murmur, a bit of pancreatitis which also may be cured by the antibiotics and a bit of kidney failure. As she still pees a lot and eats like a pig but otherwise has slowed down a bit I am not worried, this is one OLD cat and she won't live forever.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness my farmers market which is outdoors has marks on the ground where people are to stand and they do, wearing masks and some even wear gloves, all the vendors wear masks and you point at which piece of fruit or veggie you want, no touching yourself, they put it in a box or in the bag/basket you brought and anyone who does not wear a mask is politely asked by the vendor to please get one at either entrance where they have them for free and hand sanitizers too. Some grumble but do as told. The vendors will not sell to someone not wearing a mask. Even people who brought kids or babies are asked to put a mask on them. In all few people have to be asked to put on masks. I am really glad for that as at my age I certainly do not need to catch the bug. As I see it people who go to farmers markets to get fresh fruit and veggies without pesticides on them are more concerned with their well being than the average joe who does not care as long as it is cheap, that they will do anything to stay healthy and that includes wearing masks these days. Of course many times you pay a few cents more than you pay at the store but that does not matter to folks like me.
I wish our Farmer's Market was like that. They went against all the Board of Health's urging and have made our market a Mask Free Zone. Which is why I've completely withdrawn from ever doing the market again. I used to sell my knitted items and candles I'd made. Now I'm doing that on etsy. My husband did a grocery pick up today and got mocked for wearing a mask and gloves because literally no one is doing it here :( It's so scary

It can get pretty nasty, especially down in the south of the country. It hasn't been too bad during the time that I've been here, at least not in the city.There's a few places that will inevitably flood since they are low-lying (if you've seen the movie Parasite, that's pretty accurate). For us, it's not a constant or predictable rain like you'd get in more southern countries. It's sort of off and on for days at a time as the top of the pressure system kind of moves back and forth over us.

Pleasantly surprised with my hair at the moment. I guess it must be healthier than I thought because it's not too fluffy and wild yet and it has started drizzling.
I hope you stay safe this monsoon season and please keep us updated.

All this talk about dental cleaning for cats and lots of expensive tests. None of my cats ever had their teeth cleaned and they don't get vaccinations either. They are strictly indoors, get a really good diet of excellent kibble and canned food, none of that cheap stuff for my kitties, and they all have had lives without illnesses and have lived to be quite old. There is nothing you can do about them getting cancer or diabetes unless you let them grow fat, or pancreatitis or getting an occasional cold, no vaccinations are going to keep that from happening. They have all their teeth besides Chamouti who had a fang missing when I got him at age 12, so I must be doing something right and not make the vets happy and rich. Sure, Panthera had a very expensive surgery when he was only 2 but that was an anal hernia which could not have been prevented and he lived to be 16 when cancer got him just a month ago. Whatever is ailing Capucchino who is now 20 seems to be on its way out with some kind of antibiotic as she has gained a little weight in just 2 weeks since being put on it. I hope she will keep on gaining weight as she is just fur and bones and had been losing weight over the last 6 months until I got worried and took her in to see the vet. At her best age she weighed 10 lbs but that was 12 years ago, so to see her get so skinny over the years and now in the last 6 months was not good to see. I had thought it was just getting to be an old lady cat. At her age it is not a surprise that she now has a heart murmur, a bit of pancreatitis which also may be cured by the antibiotics and a bit of kidney failure. As she still pees a lot and eats like a pig but otherwise has slowed down a bit I am not worried, this is one OLD cat and she won't live forever.
I didn't used to ever take my kitties for teeth cleanings and then my Darcy (she's passed now) was diagnosed with Stomatitis and ended up needing all her teeth removed and the vet pretty much sat me down and terrified me into bringing all my kitties regularly for teeth cleaning. That vet is gone but the fear he gave me is still there. In my state though if you don't get your cats vaccinated for rabies at least and have them around children they can take your cat from you. I have homecare nurses in and out of my home when there's not covid. If my cat bit one of them and didn't have a rabies shot? They'd put my kitties down without any questions. Besides the vaccines we get and tooth cleaning my kitties don't really go to the vet unless something is wrong. With the virus right now they probably won't get a tooth cleaning until 2021 at the earliest.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so disappointed in myself. I failed my certification exam :frown:

I'd love to lay the blame on that toothache I had during it, but let's face it-the problem wasn't my tooth, but my brain.
I know it's not near the same, but I failed my first driving test, and having been though it once so I knew what to expect did help me pass the second time around!

I live in a suburb north of Chicago, in Illinois. The cat clinic I'm seeing is more pricey, but I switched to her because my previous vet wasn't informed about cat asthma. She prescribed prednisone, which doesn't always work in cats. She was stumped why it wasn't working and having asthma myself and my personal history with it, it was very hard on me seeing Isabelle still coughing and not getting better with her medicine. Her coughing went away, but came back when allergy season for her started. I switched vets and they explained I needed prednisolone and it worked. I did also recommend the vet to my mom when her cat Sunnie may have had kidney disease because the vet she was using didn't seem very thorough and taking things seriously,. She was very happy with how Sunnie was handled at my current vet, although she feels like they push too many tests and preventive measures, too, and is thinking about switching. So there was a reason I went and stayed, but it is time for me to change.
Not going to lie - I'm so curious to know who your vet is! I was wondering if I should switch to another cat vet closer to where we moved, but I'm quite happy with my regular one so it still may be worth the drive to stick with what I know.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish our Farmer's Market was like that. They went against all the Board of Health's urging and have made our market a Mask Free Zone. Which is why I've completely withdrawn from ever doing the market again. I used to sell my knitted items and candles I'd made. Now I'm doing that on etsy. My husband did a grocery pick up today and got mocked for wearing a mask and gloves because literally no one is doing it here :( It's so scary

I hope you stay safe this monsoon season and please keep us updated.

I didn't used to ever take my kitties for teeth cleanings and then my Darcy (she's passed now) was diagnosed with Stomatitis and ended up needing all her teeth removed and the vet pretty much sat me down and terrified me into bringing all my kitties regularly for teeth cleaning. That vet is gone but the fear he gave me is still there. In my state though if you don't get your cats vaccinated for rabies at least and have them around children they can take your cat from you. I have homecare nurses in and out of my home when there's not covid. If my cat bit one of them and didn't have a rabies shot? They'd put my kitties down without any questions. Besides the vaccines we get and tooth cleaning my kitties don't really go to the vet unless something is wrong. With the virus right now they probably won't get a tooth cleaning until 2021 at the earliest.
Yikes on the mask situation! Like honestly, if you're not going to mask up that's one thing, but mocking people who do? seriously childish. Even here where mask-wearing is supposed to already be normalized and not a big deal, there are people who are flaunting the rules. Yesterday I had to sit across from a young couple on the train who were not only being overly handsy with each other (that's already a pretty big no-no in public here) they both had their masks on their chins. but I was more upset that no one bothered to say anything to them. I'm not confident enough in my Korean to sound authoritative and would probably just get laughed at, but it's hard to hold back when there's so much on the line for me.

Thanks for the well-wishes. At least I have a good excuse now to stay inside...just got 2 new books to read as well! Though a little sad that my mealtime picnics (we're not supposed to eat in restaurants, so I get things to-go and eat on park benches and such) might be suspended for a while...

Teeth cleaning...I hate it for myself and my cats even though I know how necessary it is. All of my previous cats have had some kind of tooth problems. Whenever I had to take a cat to the vet and hold them while the doctor looked at their teeth I'd get light-headed. Teeth aren't as big of a thing here (for people or pets) so when Puar got his initial exam, the vet just looked in his mouth and was like "cool." No poking around or scraping or anything. He's just a young guy, so not many problems yet. You are required to get the rabies vaccine, but nothing else. However, if I return home I will have to have a record of his vaccinations for quarantine, so he'll have to get all the main ones eventually. We've always kept our cats up-to-date even though they've been exclusively indoors.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Segalkatt What lovely organization! Those turning racks are very functional.When my mom redid her kitcehn, she installed corner cabinets that have rotating shelves.It makes items so much more accesible.

I'm glad your farmers market has been safe to shop at. Sending good vibes for it to continue.

AngelicGarrison AngelicGarrison I'm so angry your husbands was mocked for wearing a mask. That happens here, too, as some people believe it is a political statement or just don't believe the virus is a big deal, etc. You mentioned you live in India. What reasons do people have there for not wearing and ridiculing others for wearing a mask?

Xraystyle Xraystyle Thanks for the monsoon explanation and your experience. That was very interesting to learn!

@Segalkatt Thanks for your input about your kitty care history. That makes me feel better.

Lari Lari If your interested, send me a PM, and I can share. Maybe you can give me a recommendation of an affordable vet in the area? How far do you drive to see your current vet? The last two vets I've seen in Illinois were 30 min. drives. It would be nice to find one closer. Cats would appreciate it, too!

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie I'm in Indiana and honestly it's uneducated people who don't care about anyone but themselves. :( There was a protest in Indianapolis about HOW DARE they make us wear masks in stores. It's ignorance plain and simple. They believe Covid is a hoax or it won't affect them. I don't understand that way of thinking. :(

Xraystyle Xraystyle What are the books you're going to read? I like to read on my porch in the evening on my kindle when the weather has cooled off. Although my lovely porch time was cut short tonight due to a neighbor coughing wildly like he was hacking up a lung in my direction without covering his mouth. It creeped me out and grossed me out so I came inside. If I end up with Covid we know who gave it to me.

We no longer get anything but the rabies vaccine for my kitties because they are inside online and even on the catio have zero contact with any animals. When we first got our youngest boy cat Azrael in 2018? We were seeing a vet who pressured us really badly to get ALL THE SHOTS and did so in a way that I couldn't say no and it scared me (Like I was legit sobbing in the office because she's telling me all the horrible way my kitty was going to die). Then he slept for 24 hours and I thought he was going to die. After that the only shots we do are rabies. My baby girl cat Lilah, when we got her she was sickly but thankfully the new vet didn't pressure us for anything. So Lilah got a rabies shot and that was it and nothing more and she's so healthy and happy.

I might venture back out to my patio in a few with some cats and see if the bad neighbor has finally gone inside. I almost napped out there earlier. It was like 73 and windy and felt so lovely out there

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AngelicGarrison AngelicGarrison Opps, must have misread your location before. That makes sense. I've heard of people having that view. One of my worries about moving for a job offer in ND was if people would be wearing masks and I heard on the news about some states around that area had non-mask people harassing people for wearing masks. I can totally relate to your line of thinking. :hugs:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are the books you're going to read? I like to read on my porch in the evening on my kindle when the weather has cooled off. Although my lovely porch time was cut short tonight due to a neighbor coughing wildly like he was hacking up a lung in my direction without covering his mouth. It creeped me out and grossed me out so I came inside. If I end up with Covid we know who gave it to me.
I'll put it in the books thread to stay on topic here!
Sorry about your neighbor. I definitely know how that is. I hate to blindly blame men, but they are typically the ones hacking, smoking while walking, and spitting on sidewalks here (not to mention urinating once it gets to a certain time of night!) And they don't seem to care who's around.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll put it in the books thread to stay on topic here!
Sorry about your neighbor. I definitely know how that is. I hate to blindly blame men, but they are typically the ones hacking, smoking while walking, and spitting on sidewalks here (not to mention urinating once it gets to a certain time of night!) And they don't seem to care who's around.
I saw your books! :) I need to find something new to read. lol

As for my neighbor. We've had issues with them before even calling the police as they are loud and fight loudly in their yard and bang on doors when the wife locks him out at 3 am and wakes us up. He's just not a good neighbor

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ignorance and disdain for science in this country is appalling. We have a president who is an example of that so is it any surprise that people who otherwise may listen to the authorities, that is doctors and scientists, shrug it all off and say the president knows best? Just heard that the EU has decided to not let anyone into their member countries who are from countries where the virus is not under a certain amount of control and that includes the US. I'm sure Trump is livid about that but has nobody to blame but himself. OK, enough of things that border on politics.
Reno, NV where I have lived since August is not he most progressive state although it is getting there due to many Californians moving here for various reasons, but people are still mostly covering their faces and give those who don't evil looks and sometimes even say something about it, shaming them. One can't reason with folks like that but one can offend them by saying something like "please stay at least 6 feet away from me, I don't know what you've got and I don't want it", they don't expect that and will huff and puff but don't really have a come-back. Maybe it's my age as when I was younger I would have thought twice to say something like that to a stranger. But now people look at me and see this little old lady (5'3 and 77 and always neatly dressed even if it is just jeans and a nice shirt) and they just take it. Well goody for me. After all, what can the offender do to me? Cuss me out? How childish. Tell me it's none of my business? Well it is my business and everyone else's.
The folks who declare the virus is a hoax or is not so bad yada yada yada are listening to idiots flapping their mouths on FOX TV which is also staffed with anti-science people. When did people in the US get so stupid? It wasn't always so although if one remembers the "monkey trials" or has heard of them you can only wonder if those people have multiplied lately and are making a lot of noise and are actually being heard. Science be damned and full speed ahead with ignorance. More people than ever go to college, aren't they being taught anything besides numbers and computers? It seems so.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More people than ever go to college, aren't they being taught anything besides numbers and computers? It seems so.
They aren't even being taught that, in my experience! So many of us worked really hard in college, but I also knew a lot of people who got Ds in every class but managed to graduate and are out there working the same jobs as people who tried hard. 🤷‍♀️ It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know, as they say.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The folks who declare the virus is a hoax or is not so bad yada yada yada are listening to idiots flapping their mouths on FOX TV which is also staffed with anti-science people.
I had a relative tell me, and I quote, "It's just an overblown flu to take Trump down." :argh: And what does she watch all day? FOX News. My sister and I keep telling her that they have a right-winged bias and that it isn't the best news source to watch, but she won't listen.
I'm in Indiana and honestly it's uneducated people who don't care about anyone but themselves. :( There was a protest in Indianapolis about HOW DARE they make us wear masks in stores. It's ignorance plain and simple. They believe Covid is a hoax or it won't affect them. I don't understand that way of thinking. :(
A lot of people think that way around where I live. It's very frustrating.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't water bugs just big roaches? That's what they called them in Texas when I lived there. I guess they did not want anyone to know that they were roaches although oversized, yuck!
I don't think so. What we call water bugs here look nothing like a cockroach oversized or not. They actually look more like a giant beetle and all black.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have turned in my last assignment. Yes, I failed my certification exam, but just showing up for it fulfilled a graduation requirement, so I'm officially done. I now have two associate degrees, and I even managed to keep my 4.0.

I'm so happy, I could cry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW!! Go Katie M Katie M !!

There's not really a whole lot on my mind at the moment, although the phrase "when it rains, it pours" could apply lately regarding life things.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Way to go!! Katie M Katie M :clap:

Florida Power & Light has been trimming trees near the power lines because we're in hurricane season. They were behind our house yesterday for about 5 hours. They cut the branches and then run them through a mulcher that is really loud. Lilith was double mad about all of this. She wanted to go out back to watch because she's nosy but I didn't think it would be good for her because of all the noise and she also couldn't sleep because all of the noise. I got yelled at. Frequently. Divas :paperbag::angrycat:

Status
Not open for further replies.