The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal to feel this. Do not get alarmed.
If you are just noticing it now, it means you have lost weight, and do not have any fat to hide the pulsations
Thank you so much for explaining all that. I feel so much better now. Yes, I did lose a lot of weight all of a sudden, so that must be why I suddenly noticed it. I'm trying to gain back 5 or 10 pounds.

I just found out the award I will be receiving is the Wildlife Biology award
Yay! Congrats.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Something really strange has happened and I don't want my imagination to run wild with me but nothing else makes sense right now.

I got an email from one of my teachers with an attachment of a breakdown of my final grade. I was checking through everything and for one of my assignments, she said I only handed in one page but that isn't possible. The document I submitted had almost 30 pages of my photographed work in it. I double checked that the file opened before submitting it and I made sure to submit it on time. The teacher claims she only received one photo and she sent me back the photo that she got. It was a picture of a cat I had drawn... only one sketch out of the almost 30 of them sent. She told me that I should double check to make sure everything opens but I did!! Everything opened fine. I almost failed because she didn't get everything. She said she "doesn't have time to chase every student to make sure everything was submitted in the proper format". I feel like crying because I worked hard on that assignment and I wanted her to see my improvement through my work. I was proud of what I had accomplished with it and how far my skills have improved.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm thinking someone could have done something to the file accidentally but I don't think that is possible. It is a public file which everyone has access to so I don't know... I'm distraught. She said she took into account my previous work and how I've gotten better over the semester and that is why she didn't fail me.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Something really strange has happened and I don't want my imagination to run wild with me but nothing else makes sense right now.

I got an email from one of my teachers with an attachment of a breakdown of my final grade. I was checking through everything and for one of my assignments, she said I only handed in one page but that isn't possible. The document I submitted had almost 30 pages of my photographed work in it. I double checked that the file opened before submitting it and I made sure to submit it on time. The teacher claims she only received one photo and she sent me back the photo that she got. It was a picture of a cat I had drawn... only one sketch out of the almost 30 of them sent. She told me that I should double check to make sure everything opens but I did!! Everything opened fine. I almost failed because she didn't get everything. She said she "doesn't have time to chase every student to make sure everything was submitted in the proper format". I feel like crying because I worked hard on that assignment and I wanted her to see my improvement through my work. I was proud of what I had accomplished with it and how far my skills have improved.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm thinking someone could have done something to the file accidentally but I don't think that is possible. It is a public file which everyone has access to so I don't know... I'm distraught. She said she took into account my previous work and how I've gotten better over the semester and that is why she didn't fail me.
Wondered what happened to it?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What format was the file in? Is it possible that the formatting corrupted the file or didn't allow the full thing to upload? Or that her computer doesn't have the same version of the program as yours and therefore didn't open properly? We often share files on the office network using Adobe Illustrator and InDesign and we always forget to upload the fonts as the files won't open properly if the person opening them doesn't have the correct fonts. We try to remember to export a PDF version that anyone can look at instead of keeping it in the original format (even if it was just in Word)

I'm so sorry that happened to you and that you didn't find out until the end of the semester! I understand she's busy, but she really should have mentioned something earlier about how the assignment didn't seem complete (especially if you've shown you've been doing everything else). She might not have time "to chase down every student" but a form email takes less than a minute to send! :(

In the future, my one suggestion would be that if you are sending a large file to send it to yourself and open in on a different computer. Maybe at the library (when that's possible again, of course). Still that's so frustrating!!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What format was the file in? Is it possible that the formatting corrupted the file or didn't allow the full thing to upload? Or that her computer doesn't have the same version of the program as yours and therefore didn't open properly? We often share files on the office network using Adobe Illustrator and InDesign and we always forget to upload the fonts as the files won't open properly if the person opening them doesn't have the correct fonts. We try to remember to export a PDF version that anyone can look at instead of keeping it in the original format (even if it was just in Word)

I'm so sorry that happened to you and that you didn't find out until the end of the semester! I understand she's busy, but she really should have mentioned something earlier about how the assignment didn't seem complete (especially if you've shown you've been doing everything else). She might not have time "to chase down every student" but a form email takes less than a minute to send! :(

In the future, my one suggestion would be that if you are sending a large file to send it to yourself and open in on a different computer. Maybe at the library (when that's possible again, of course). Still that's so frustrating!!
Thank you! That's a good idea and I will try it next time.

The entire file was in pdf format (because that is what she asked for). I was using my mac computer. It has an option where you can select multiple images and make a pdf of them. That is what I did. All the images were of the same jpg format previously and I didn't edit anything.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so sorry that happened. It's so frustrating when someone assumes you didn't do something right and telling you what you should do, when you did do it! These are also crazy times and teachers need to have more compassion and patience.

Sometimes files get messed up when sending, etc. I've had documents sent for job applications through e-mail, but opened the file after I sent to check the documents, and there was an error or not all pages showed up. Also, I've submitted slideshow presentations through the online portal with school, received a notification through e-mail it was submitted, but my teacher couldn't find it on his end.

I've also sent an earlier file in of an assignment and my teacher had to e-mail me asking if I had the finished and could send it to her.

So things like this happen, and your teacher definitely could have handled things better. <3 Students have been through so much stress with this transition to all online, having to go home and stay with parents, etc. Teachers need to have more compassion and patience when things aren't going right.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So sorry that happened to you. At least You know how much you have improved and that is what is more important. However if a grade was involved like A,B etc. and not just pass/fail that makes a huge difference and it will affect you. I'd like to see some of your pictures! :bigeyes:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this but what is on my mind is cartoons from when we were children. (Please move it if it is not in the right place.) Me, I liked Felix the Cat, Heckle & Jeckle and the Jetsons. What are some of yours? :redcat:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this but what is on my mind is cartoons from when we were children. (Please move it if it is not in the right place.) Me, I liked Felix the Cat, Heckle & Jeckle and the Jetsons. What are some of yours? :redcat:
Some of mine were Rocko's Modern Life, David the Gnome, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (which has an awesome theme song!)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to see some of your pictures! :bigeyes:
Yes, please show us some of your pics! Would love to see them!

When I was younger, I mainly watched Animal Planet, which was more educational than it is today. Meaning, less reality shows and more what I would call educational. Many of the cartoons I watched were later in junior high or high school. So Danny phantom, the fairy god parents, jimmy neutron, danny phantom, Doug, and some others I cannot remember.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy butts, I just received an e-mail from school about how much I'll be receiving from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Grant, and it is a pretty sizable amount! I wasn't sure what to expect, so it was a pleasant surprise. My school dived funds up based on expected family contribution from filling of FAFSA. The money will be transferred to my bank account in about a week.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in another thread a while back that I used to be into Pokemon, at least until my Game Boy was stolen at school.

Well . . .

I just bought another Game Boy and another copy of Pokemon Silver. I'm so pathetic, but I don't care. It's a nice thing from my childhood. I've managed to hold onto my 4.0, so I'm treating myself :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in another thread a while back that I used to be into Pokemon, at least until my Game Boy was stolen at school.

Well . . .

I just bought another Game Boy and another copy of Pokemon Silver. I'm so pathetic, but I don't care. It's a nice thing from my childhood. I've managed to hold onto my 4.0, so I'm treating myself :)
Agree with the others :) Think of it as self-care, and self-care is important.

I was just craving playing pokemon today, too! It has been years for me as well. One of my boyfriends was a big gamer and bought me a DS for my birthday because I always wanted to play his, haha. Have fun with the game!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

Well . . .

Not pathetic at all. A good idea actually.

I might do the same.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't play Pokemon. I'm a ridiculous completionist in video games (like I'll master all job classes with all characters, that sort of thing). I think trying to actually "catch them all" might put me over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.