The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear my mask outside because the pollen and all is very high this year. To the point I've developed seasonal allergies. But a lot of people also develop that as they get older. The joys of getting old.

We're opening up everything this coming Tuesday but many businesses have made the call to continue the social distancing and wearing of masks. I will continue to wear my mask when shopping though. You know err on the side of caution because I don't want to catch this thing and give it to my Mom. I'd feel so guilty and never forgive myself if I gave it to her especially at her age.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've been quiet for a few days. I've been feeling depressed (yeah, what else is new?). I also have my coding certification exam on Saturday, so I've been trying to prepare for that. It hasn't been easy. I just keep thinking about my grandma :(
Good to hear from you. :hugs:

Guppies are extremely difficult to photograph. I tried my best! I got them at an independently owned fish store. The guy who owns the store isn't the friendliest but his stock is good and he takes extremely good care of his fish and his aquariums. I mean, the water was so clean. Absolutely none of the fishes had any growths or ripped fins. They were all alert and had bright colours. Even though he isn't the nicest, I'll still go back because he has good guppies and rare colours I'd like to introduce to my strain. The orange one is an albino female. She is pregnant but I have no idea when the fry are going to be born. There is a pale blue female and a little ice blue male. He is young so he doesn't pick on the girls. I want to start out with these colours first and then introduce some yellow into the strain in the future. The albino one's orange contrast so nicely with the colour scheme of the tank.
View attachment 338379View attachment 338380View attachment 338381View attachment 338382View attachment 338383

Didn't find any pothos unfortunately. Or peace lilies. I know a lady who sells them so I'll have to get into contact with her to see when she'll have them in stock again. The roots might be a good place for guppy fry to hide too.
She sure looks preggers! If I remember correctly, they can have babies about every 30 days or so. She looks like she is getting close due to her size. Very pretty, too!

Here are some pics of when I last kept guppies. I have a fun trick to photograph by putting them in a globe dish with water to photograph. Those pictures came out nice and clear! But yes, they can be very challenging to take pictures of.

Original adults. From chain pet stores, but also a small, independent, too. There is one with very long gonopods and cannot breed due to this, but he is so pretty! It is the multicolor one on the left.
1592005415583.png

1592005498715.png

1592005524457.png

Some of the babies gaining color

1592005720313.png

1592005837547.png

1592005852451.png

I always loved watching the babies grow and see what color combinations resulted <3

After the depressing and stressful last couple of months, I have a couple of "good stuff" pictures to share. I made two tables. One is my daughter's, the other is ours. One of our danios had babies and we were able to save one before it was eaten by the other fish. Considering how densely planted that tank is, I am a bit shocked that we ever found the baby! There was a nasty storm that went through. Afterward, my daughter got a lovely rainbow picture from her apartment window.
You made those tables?? Gorgeous!!

For the danio, don't they lay eggs? Very lucky you found one! One time while keeping cory cats, they laid eggs and were so so tiny when they hatched. only one or just a couple survived. That was fun and very unexpected! It was right after a water change, so it made me wonder if the temperature change of adding new water triggered them to spawn...? That was the only time I noticed eggs.

Is the social distancing thing over with? Cause I was out for my walk when the mail lady came. I tried to back up on the driveway and give her 6 feet of space, but she walked right up to me and handed me my package! No face mask or gloves anymore.
Absolutely not! Yikes! Wow. Around here, masks are mandatory. I saw a post lady driving by, and she had her mask, but it was pulled down. Understandable since she was in her vehicle, but probably had it like that if she needed to pull it up to interact with someone. Although, none of the delivery drivers for online orders are wearing one, but they also just leave it on the porch.

Wearing a mask outdoors isn't as important, unless you're in a crowd, but at public places indoors you should wear one.

What happened is that everybody got desensitized to the danger, really our attention spans aren't very long :/.
Although, if people are not social distancing still a mask is required, at least around here. The forest preserves are able to start up restoration work days. They said people have to wear their mask at the beginning when they go over plans, but once they are out in the field AND social distancing they are allowed to take off their mask. If they are not 6 feet+ apart, they have to wear their mask. They are also following the mandatory up to 10 people rule, although may have multiple work day leaders to take out multiple groups in different areas. You also have to sign a liability form due to covid. Kinda tempted to join, but I still do not trust people...

Some of the forest preserves have closed on weekend days when they are most busy because people were not social distancing. Very few people, at least that one day I tried walking at a preserve, were wearing masks or even had them in case they couldn't pass someone at 6 ft.+

Agree everybody has gotten desensitized. It is easy to go outside and feel like everything is normal, fine, safe. But it is not, and we still need to take precautions.

My older brother is officially moving out of my mom's Monday. I asked him to clean the bathroom floor and the side of the cabinets next to the toilet, plus his little hairs on the sink from shaving. The prior were not deep cleaned by me after moving back here, so it seemed very fair to ask him to deep clean before he moved out in those areas because it was build up from him.

I also asked him if he'd like a plant arrangement as a house warming gift, and he said yes! So I'll be putting together a small succulent arrangement for him.

Attachments

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a vendor at a craft fair I go to every year that sells crystal nail files. They are glass and aren’t supposed to wear out. She paints the bottom with different little things like flowers, birds, butterflies and all kinds of themes. I got a set for MIL a few years ago. I almost got one for myself last year but I don’t really file my nails much. Just a little bit after I trim them to soften the edges. My nails are naturally hard.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You made those tables?? Gorgeous!!

For the danio, don't they lay eggs? Very lucky you found one! One time while keeping cory cats, they laid eggs and were so so tiny when they hatched. only one or just a couple survived. That was fun and very unexpected! It was right after a water change, so it made me wonder if the temperature change of adding new water triggered them to spawn...? That was the only time I noticed eggs.
I did make them! Thank you! I have to make one for my son now.
As for the danio, they do lay eggs. The tank is pretty heavily planted, so I never noticed any eggs. The one we did find scared me when I first saw it! Haha! It was around 4 or 5 in the morning and I stopped to look at the tank before going to bed. While I was watching, it swam right at me. I thought it was a bug and spend more than 20 minutes looking for it. The next day, I told my son that I was 50% sure I had seen a baby danio. He and his fiancee went up and quickly found it. I am happy I was late vacuuming the gravel! He might have been sucked up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Carpenter ant. 😕
I concur, and advise you to get your house checked ASAP! They call them that for a reason, and they can be just as destructive as termites.

I have had a wonderful, blessed, peaceful 24 hours when NOTHING unexpected happened! Here's to more like them!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the pain along the jaw line? If it is, it might be a root canal issue that needs to be treated by a dentist preferably an endodontist.

I'm disappointed that no one showed up to our weekly virtual get together last night :disappointed: I have to host because I'm the only one with unlimited Zoom access. The next invite gets sent pretty much after a get together. I post it on our private LinkedIn group and send a screenshot of the post to everyone via group text. On Thursday someone responded to the group text saying she wouldn't be able to attend. If anyone forgot about the get together, that also served as a reminder. We had a trivia game night planned for last night's get together. I start the meeting and wait for people to show up. An hour later no one showed up, not even the person who had all the trivia questions :disappointed: No one sent a text saying they wouldn't be able to attend or would be late. I ended the meeting and just felt :disappointed::paperbag:😞 I can't blame people for wanting to enjoy the weather after being stuck inside for 3 months but it would be appreciated if they send a text saying they wouldn't be able to attend so I'm not sitting around waiting on Zoom. Just a be a little considerate, I guess. I have another get together scheduled for next Friday but haven't sent the invite out yet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that’s awful. My cousin teaches middle school English and a few weeks ago she said her students had stopped “showing up” for their zoom classes and quite a few other teachers said the same thing about their students. I guess everyone is just “done” with having to do things virtually. But still; sending a text is so easy. :dunno:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carpenter ant. 😕
:eek: Thank you!

I did make them! Thank you! I have to make one for my son now.
As for the danio, they do lay eggs. The tank is pretty heavily planted, so I never noticed any eggs. The one we did find scared me when I first saw it! Haha! It was around 4 or 5 in the morning and I stopped to look at the tank before going to bed. While I was watching, it swam right at me. I thought it was a bug and spend more than 20 minutes looking for it. The next day, I told my son that I was 50% sure I had seen a baby danio. He and his fiancee went up and quickly found it. I am happy I was late vacuuming the gravel! He might have been sucked up.
How great they were able to find the little one for you! Yes, surprised the eggs didn't get eaten before they hatched! I don't think danios guard their eggs. Have fun watching your little one grow! You must have very happy fishes if they are reproducing <3

I concur, and advise you to get your house checked ASAP! They call them that for a reason, and they can be just as destructive as termites.
Thank you, I'll pass this message along to my mom. After researching the ants last night, I wondered if that is where some of the holes in the deck wood are coming from...?

I'm disappointed that no one showed up to our weekly virtual get together last night :disappointed: I have to host because I'm the only one with unlimited Zoom access. The next invite gets sent pretty much after a get together. I post it on our private LinkedIn group and send a screenshot of the post to everyone via group text. On Thursday someone responded to the group text saying she wouldn't be able to attend. If anyone forgot about the get together, that also served as a reminder. We had a trivia game night planned for last night's get together. I start the meeting and wait for people to show up. An hour later no one showed up, not even the person who had all the trivia questions :disappointed: No one sent a text saying they wouldn't be able to attend or would be late. I ended the meeting and just felt :disappointed::paperbag:😞 I can't blame people for wanting to enjoy the weather after being stuck inside for 3 months but it would be appreciated if they send a text saying they wouldn't be able to attend so I'm not sitting around waiting on Zoom. Just a be a little considerate, I guess. I have another get together scheduled for next Friday but haven't sent the invite out yet.
I'm so sorry. That is such a sucky feeling. It is not hard to send a message saying they cannot make it. I've been thinking of doing a facebook chat to celebrate my graduation. I've been in a rut and haven't even made a post about graduating yet, but once my laptop gets here I'd like to sit outside and do that to celebrate. But it saddens me to think, what if no one shows up? It will feel very sad and lonely.

If i passed the exam with this tooth the way it is, I'll start believing in miracles.
Good luck on your test, and hope you feel better soon <3

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I eventually heard from the person who had the trivia questions. She wasn't feeling well last night and wanted to know how the get together went. I said it was just me and Leroy :disappointed: She apologized and offered to do a Zoom meeting with me but I said I would be ok. Ok, I'm not really and still feeling 😞 but I don't have the energy right now for a Zoom meeting. The group text was busy today. Apparently today is someone's birthday so there were lots of birthday wishes. That explains why that person didn't attend the get together last night. He was out celebrating. Still, it's not hard to send a text and say you won't be able to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.