The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Lopsided? More like in pain from engorgement.

On one hand, even stubborn little babies can be won over, or worn out, by repeatedly making the baby wait a bit when offering the non-preferred whatever instead of giving in to the preferred whatever easily. On the other hand, I'd worry about his ears. Maybe there's fluid in one and lying one way is far more comfortable than the other way.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't thought of that. He's been feverish off and on for the last couple of weeks, but he's been teething. I blamed his fussiness on the teething, too. If he's still acting like this tomorrow, I'll give the doctor a call. I used to get a lot of ear infections when I was a kid.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 , when I had gall bladder problems they were misdiagnosed as "esophageal reflux." I knew that was wrong, because there was no heartburn, but I couldn't convince my doctor, who had never actually seen me in the middle of an attack. Eventually I had a gall bladder attack that lasted for two weeks, during which I was in constant pain and could keep nothing down (including water), and was able to get to the doctor while it was actually happening. Whoops! Straight from the doctor's office to the hospital for an emergence gall bladder removal.

The surgeon came into my room to check up on me the day after surgery and asked whether I needed him to prescribe something for pain, and I said "I haven't been in pain since you took the nasty thing out! Thank you!" He went out to the nurse's station and ordered some pain meds anyway, just in case, but I didn't need them, and I've never regretted having the gall bladder removed.

This is not to say that you should go against medical advice and insist on having it removed now, just, remember what a gall bladder attack feels like so that you'll know when/if it recurs. As for the surgery that's been scheduled, I think it's time to use the phone since the patient portal isn't working. If that doesn't do it, ask your PCP to intervene. And no, they can't force you to have surgery; just make certain that you're not the one who's liable for paying for the hospital prep work when it doesn't happen. Make sure that you're on the record as not agreeing to the surgery.

Margret

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to update earlier. They confirmed the dry socket, and told me a bit of jawbone had been removed along with the tooth :jawdrop:

I've been prescribed an antibiotic, and this should hopefully start healing in the next few days.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was intentional. The tooth wasn't budging, so they drilled into the gumline to free it. I guess part of the tooth must've been attached to the bone? :dunno:

I knew they were cutting into the gums, but they never told me they had to take out a piece of my jaw. No matter how small it was, I had the right to know what they were doing to me.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like something unexpected, so the best beforehand could only to explain all unlikely complications. That's hard to do. After, they should have said something, but it could be that someone just assumed someone else told you and it was not intentional.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be a botch technically speaking. It may be a complication based on the severity of the infection. My husband has some infected teeth. He can't afford to fix them because the after insurance estimated bill is $18k. Part of that is removal of part of the supporting bone because the infection is eating the bone.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got Aedan to nurse from the other side, but he coughed and choked a lot. I guess it was coming out too fast cuz it was so over full. It did end up getting pretty painful! But it's better now and my booger is sound asleep. Now let's see if he'll stay asleep in his swing long enough for me to bring the bassinet out to the living room. He doesn't like to be in the bedroom all by himself and I need to fix myself something to eat. I've got some stuffed shells .all I have to do is pop them in the oven. I've been doing very little cooking lately.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My (hopefully) corgi puppy was born on Tuesday. The litter is of 12. :shocked:

Breeder and mother dog are working hard to keep them healthy, but one is going downhill fast. Vet thinks his digestive system is underdeveloped, so he may not have a chance. A neonatal vet is giving him 24/7 care to see if they can turn things around. There is another in the litter that has a similar problem, but seems to be doing better and growing. He is still with mom and is getting antibiotics for possible aspiration pneumonia since he has acid reflex that is making him breath milk into his lungs.

I say hopefully since I am hoping for a dog that is a good match to my lifestyle and to my other dog. Also it depends how many from the litter survive as there are a lot of people on the wait list for this litter.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor pups! What would cause that? Just bad luck?
Basically 12 is a lot of puppies for a litter (especially a litter of corgis since they aren't very big dogs). Which means not all of them were in prime places for healthy development when inside the mom causing them to develop more slowly. That makes these two technically premature, even though the other puppies are not and they were born all together.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, this is getting almost to a laughing point. I finally got a hold of the surgeon who had me for an appointment. It wasn't Dr. dick after all. Turns out it was for a follow-up for my gall bladder removal. UM...WHAT? I still have my gall bladder. The consultation, where he refused to remove it, was over a year ago. Do they not even know who they operated on or why?
This makes me more certain that I will drive the 4 hours to Phx. if I need a surgery for anything. These idiots are not touching me with a knife. Unless it's the heart doctor. My mom see's him and he's a really good Doctor.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the doctor. This is the third time I've seen her, so she really doesn't know me. My tennis elbow tendon decided to ramp up the pain in only about a week.

I walked into the doctor's office nice and pleasant, only sign I was HURTING was telling them I didn't think I could write my name on the clipboard. I'm dressed quite stylishly because shoelaces hurt a LOT, buttons are just not possible and sweat pants elastic waistbands take some firm tugging to get over my hips. Loose skirt with a huge zipper I could manage one handed and flats sounded low pain. Thankfully I own a band bra because I lost the ability to manage bra fastenings yesterday.

I didn't ask for pain pills and I wasn't showing my agony. I asked for a steroid shot. She couldn't give that. I've got a prescription for prednisone, but she also decided to give me oxycodone. If I wasn't screaming (which I want to do) and she doesn't know me enough to know I'm not a junkie, I'm surprised it was offered. Glad, because I need pain relief long enough to get some decent sleep, but surprised.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's because you didn't ask?
Doctors can be terrifying. When I was hurt, I was originally at this small hospital and they gave me a blood transfusion. When I had enough blood that I was able to think and know what was going on again, a doctor came to talk about my options. She said they weren't a surgical center and said if I wanted, they could transfer me to San Diego in case I needed my kidney removed. I had to remind her several times over the course of a few minutes that it was my spleen that might need removing, not my kidney. That scared me enough to have them do the transfer. If the bleeding didn't stop, I didn't want to lose the wrong organ!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double checked with my insurance about my 'gall bladder removal' (lol) and they told me that no claim for any surgery was submitted. Which is good in case it does need to come out.
And people think I'm joking when I talk about the idiot doctors on this mountain. At least I got a good laugh this morning.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Could they have confused you with someone else?

My FIL was called about an upcoming surgery he was not having. His case, it was easy to figure out they had the wrong person because the surgery in question was a hysterectomy. No, his name is not gender neutral although the pronunciation is gender neutral.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Could they have confused you with someone else?

My FIL was called about an upcoming surgery he was not having. His case, it was easy to figure out they had the wrong person because the surgery in question was a hysterectomy. No, his name is not gender neutral although the pronunciation is gender neutral.
It's possible. Although they had my email, phone number and the correct dates from my hospital stay. Now that I know the Insurance wasn't involved, I find the whole thing hysterical.

Status
Not open for further replies.