The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to have taken a brief sabbatical, possibly when my husband brought in a huge bowl of sage instead of Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon). That man can't tell a tomato plant from a cabbage, and everything is labeled! The sage sat around and dried but was ultimately thrown out. While it was in the house, peace reigned. Harrigan was probably off ruining someone's vacation.
If Harrigan lived here you'd better believe that we'd be keeping a bowl of sage in the house!

Humana (I know, but this is actually a good policy) MAPD (Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug).
Advantage plans are somewhat different from supplemental insurance. Basically, when you get a Medicare Advantage plan you sell the company your Medicare plan. All claims go through the company (in this case Humana), rather than through Medicare. Then the company puts in a claim with Medicare. The company has the right to tell you which doctors you can go to, and you may have no coverage at all if you need care while traveling, because you can't just go to any doctor who accepts Medicare. Be very sure before you agree to sign up with a Medicare Advantage plan.
I sorted through a lot of possibilities when signing up for supplemental insurance. For me, the best bang for the buck was to get Part G (medical/hospitalization supplemental insurance) through United Healthcare, which is an AARP insurance company, and Part D (drugs/prescriptions) through SilverScript, but that's what works best for me. Things may vary between states, as well as depending on what pre-existing conditions you have. However, United seems to be accepted by just about every doctor or facility which accepts Medicare, which is a very good start. As for SilverScript, I entered all my prescription information in all of the plans which seemed like they might be viable, and then compared how much those prescriptions would cost me, and how much the plan cost. Medicare's website has some good tools to help you do this.

Margret

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So don't take it as gospel, but maybe check and see if using a straw with the end past your front teeth will allow for it?
After having a tooth pulled, the main instruction is NOT to use a straw. It can dislodge any clot that has formed, resulting in a dry socket-- extremely painful.

I would think, after a day, you can resume soda; however, without the straw...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The company has the right to tell you which doctors you can go to, and you may have no coverage at all if you need care while traveling, because you can't just go to any doctor who accepts Medicare. Be very sure before you agree to sign up with a Medicare Advantage plan.
Yes, he went over all of that with me (again, there are serious advantages to having an agent come to your house). However, since I don't travel, and ALL of my doctors are part of a huge group and accept Humana, I'm good to go with that. Now, should I move, or lose my Medicade, I may have to revisit it, but in that case, PCH would have come to my door, and private insurance would no longer be an issue for me!

I just got my new laptop! I'm so excited, like a kid at Christmas. This may be the nicest thing I have ever owned.
Isn't it wonderful? I had my old computer for literally YEARS! I think it was well over 15 years old when my son got me the new laptop. I was in HEAVEN! I had no idea that things could even load this quickly!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gotten to do much with it yet cuz baby takes priority but it's downloading WoW now. I'm so excited to play again. I haven't played in months because my old laptop was so slow and laggy. I would freeze and then when I unfroze, I'd be dead. The game stopped being fun and was just plain frustrating.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long do I need to wait after a tooth extraction to drink soda? I'll wait as long as necessary, but this soda addict is dying for some :drool:
Well, I wound up having a bottle at work. Everything seems to be okay so far.
After having a tooth pulled, the main instruction is NOT to use a straw. It can dislodge any clot that has formed, resulting in a dry socket-- extremely painful.

I would think, after a day, you can resume soda; however, without the straw...
artiemom artiemom is correct. When I needed to have a whole bunch of teeth pulled and knew I'd need to take pills while the local was still in effect I went out and bought a baby's sippy-cup so that I could actually get water into my mouth without being able to feel or to use a straw.

If it wasn't painful you're probably okay, Katie M Katie M , though I would suggest that it might be a good idea to rinse with clean water afterwards, to get any sugar out of the wound.

arouetta arouetta , the video is obviously several repeats of the same sequence, but they've changed speed. Any idea what the original speed was? (I really wonder what the cat thought she was doing, not that knowing how fast she was moving would help too much with that.) Do people think she's looking in that mirror?

Margret

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom is correct. When I needed to have a whole bunch of teeth pulled and knew I'd need to take pills while the local was still in effect I went out and bought a baby's sippy-cup so that I could actually get water into my mouth without being able to feel or to use a straw.

If it wasn't painful you're probably okay, Katie M Katie M , though I would suggest that it might be a good idea to rinse with clean water afterwards, to get any sugar out of the wound.

Margret
The soda itself didn't hurt. I still have swelling and pain, but I think it's because the extraction was difficult. I'm managing pretty well with Motrin.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The soda itself didn't hurt. I still have swelling and pain, but I think it's because the extraction was difficult. I'm managing pretty well with Motrin.
Yes, that can last for a while after a difficult extraction.

You're not going to be able to do much brushing for a bit; rinsing with clean water after ingesting anything is probably a good idea for a while; try to avoid getting any more toothaches. I know this last one was extremely difficult for you.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got the tooth taken care of.
O.M.G. This laptop is AMAZING! Everything loads so fast. I don't even remember what lag is! And my precious angel took a 3 hour nap and let mommy play!
Feeding the baby then taking a shower cuz John talked me into leaving him with his aunt so we can go to dinner. It's the 3 year anniversary of when we started dating.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a visit today from a big, big, big corporate bigwig. So the entire store had the living heck cleaned out of it. I used the bathroom before my shift and I smelled bleach. No one has ever cleaned with enough bleach for it to smell before.

So near the end of the day I had to go put some signs in the fixture room. They cleaned the fixture room pretty well. It looked far cleaner (and far safer) than usual. I took a chance and snapped a picture. When you look at it, think about how it must be when it hasn't had a massive cleaning done, and think about me carrying stuff all the way to the back.

20180327_213353.jpg

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a great dinner tonight at the Wooden Nickel. It's a restaurant with a bar attached. I had one drink with dinner and ended up about half drunk. Probably since it's been a year since I've had any alcohol at all. Good thing I had plenty of milk pumped! Wal Mart doesn't carry those strips you can use to test your milk so I just waited an hour after I stopped feeling anything from it. That's what the pharmacist recommended when I asked if they had any of the test strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.