The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to give up and just go back to bed. Spoke with my pump guy again. He said since the pump is coming on, then it can't be the pressure switch (those go bad..a lot) and since I'm getting water from the well head, it isn't the pump itself. Which means, one of the outer pipes froze and I just have to wait for it to unfreeze. Which will happen soon since the high is in the 20's for the next week (that was sarcasm). Everything is well insulated, but apparently not enough, so I guess I'll redo it all.
Well, time to go melt some more snow for the toilets. We are not flushing them unless needed.
Do you have any idea how much snow it takes to make a gallon of water. I fill a 10 lb bucket and it only makes 1/4 gallon.
You don't realize what you miss until it's gone.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the pipes accessible at all? Could you take a hairdryer to them? Or set up a space heater pointing to them? I live in northeast Missouri - frozen pipes are something I've had to deal with! We used to get ours to thaw by opening the bathroom and kitchen cabinets (under the sink) and pointing a space heater into them and turning the water on. Eventually, they'd thaw and we'd leave the water on - just a slow drip - to keep them from refreezing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did for a moment think maybe someone stole it because theirs broke, but there were no footprints in the snow suggesting that, except for rabbit. (unless a rabbit stole it).
Never trust the evil bunnies.

I doubt a set of encyclopedias would be worth anything.
They are somewhat collectible. Check on your particular edition before you just dump them.

Do you have any idea how much snow it takes to make a gallon of water. I fill a 10 lb bucket and it only makes 1/4 gallon.
Why, yes...yes I do, and you have my sympathies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the pipes accessible at all? Could you take a hairdryer to them? Or set up a space heater pointing to them? I live in northeast Missouri - frozen pipes are something I've had to deal with! We used to get ours to thaw by opening the bathroom and kitchen cabinets (under the sink) and pointing a space heater into them and turning the water on. Eventually, they'd thaw and we'd leave the water on - just a slow drip - to keep them from refreezing.
The pipes in question run from the well head to the pump house. They go underground at one point and that is where the problem may lie. Personally, I think it's in the pressure switch, but my pump guy says otherwise.
I did find an easier way to get water though. The plug that ended up being taken by a micro singularity. Just unscrew the plug, turn on the pump and water comes flowing out. We did that, but it's a blizzard outside and I'm not doing it again today. Even though I just heated 4 gallons so I could do dishes.
It sure beats heating snow, although I was just beginning to make a dent on my walkway.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I graduated from high school, the Internet was 20-some years in the future. My parents had encyclopedias- from 1935, and reading them in the 50s was a hoot, because of all the changes that had occurred in the intervening years. Just like a set from the 60s would be today.

Status
Not open for further replies.