The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the same container that Montressor was so attracted he became super aggressive towards Midway. I really think that since I served it in a pie pan instead of on a plate he thought I was sneaking pills into it, or the pie pan had such a strange smell (metal, maybe a remnant of dishwasher detergent, kept with other metal pans) that it just weirded him out too much.
Remind me how long ago that was, that Montressor became so aggressive over catnip?

I'm thinking about mold.

I was buying a book about Chaplin on Amazon, and it said I would get free shipping if I added on one more thing. I found an adorable catnip raccoon, but I predict it won't last long :rolleyes:
Gee, ya think?!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe two or three weeks ago. Definitely not a whole month ago.
Even if nothing has changed about the catnip since the last time you were exposed to it, it could still be that you've developed an allergy to this specific brand.

Yes, allergies can and do develop that quickly, to products that you've used safely for years; it happened that way to me when I developed an allergy to Neosporin. I haven't tried any of the other triple-antibiotic ointments that are out there because I'm not sure just what it is in the Neosporin that I'm allergic to, and it's not important enough to me to risk it, but if it's important to you that your cats continue to get catnip from you then it might be worth trying other brands to find out if you have the same problem with them.

There's also a reasonable chance that what happened was merely a coincidence; that you were about to get a headache just then and it merely coincided with the catnip.

Another possibility is that you could continue giving them catnip if you avoid direct skin contact, wear rubber gloves or some such while giving it to them. It's really hard to say without more data, and I'm afraid that the only way to get more data is to risk further nasty headaches. Of course, if you think it might be a life-threatening allergy you should stay totally away from catnip, just as you would advise anyone else in this situation to do. You should probably talk with your doctor about it.

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Something has given me a heck of a nasty sinus headache, and it may be that, especially now that I threw it away in the kitchen trash.

Speaking of allergies, I want a cup of tea. I really, really want a cup of tea. Even peppermint tea would be a poor substitute for the cup of real tea I want so bad right now.

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I REALLY want the computer mechanics to find out what's wrong with my PC. I don't care if you guys said you tested the hardware and found nothing wrong with it. It freezes and randomly restarts. It's NOT my fault. All the drivers are up-to-date, and I didn't botch any software installs. Fact of the matter is, it's having issues, and I don't know what's causing them, so DO A MORE THOROUGH TESTING! :argh:

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did anyone do a thorough search for a virus?
Yeah, it's not that either. I've run many checks, and do so often, and found nothing. I also did memory checks, disk drive error checks, graphics card tests, and the like, and nothing. I took it back to the people that built it (the ones I ranted about earlier), and they did all the tests too with nothing. The difference before, was that I had sent it to them with a fresh install of Windows, (because that's what I was told to do) and they complained that there wasn't much there they could test. So, when I sent it back again this time, I left everything as it was when I last used it, hoping that they have more to test this time, and find the issue. It's very frustrating to have spent so much money on something, only to have something go wrong with it, and people telling me there's nothing wrong with it. If it was fine, I wouldn't be sending it back for testing. It could be a problem with the power supply, or even the BIOS, I don't know. I'm suppose to be getting a call from them during the week. Hopefully, they found something.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Infant Tylenol drops are a total scam. Aedan has been feverish from teething. It hit 100.0 the other day. We were out of infant Tylenol - used most of it for his post shot fever - so we had to pick up more last night. Infant Tylenol and children's Tylenol are the exact same concentration. However, infant Tylenol costs more for half the volume. It's the exact same thing - the only difference is the label. But they get away with it because people don't know any better and those who do don't bother to check.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Infant Tylenol drops are a total scam. Aedan has been feverish from teething. It hit 100.0 the other day. We were out of infant Tylenol - used most of it for his post shot fever - so we had to pick up more last night. Infant Tylenol and children's Tylenol are the exact same concentration. However, infant Tylenol costs more for half the volume. It's the exact same thing - the only difference is the label. But they get away with it because people don't know any better and those who do don't bother to check.
Maybe they are charging for the dropper?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tylenol is a total scam. It's never helped any pain I ever had. It will damage your kidneys if you take too much or cause liver failure.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Just be very careful. Several years ago there were some overdoses because Infants Tylenol was different amount of Tylenol per volume and people were giving the same measured dose from Children's Tylenol bottles. It was a big to do because people assumed Infants and Children's were measured the same.

And yeah, careful with Tylenol in general. Back when I was first diagnosed with mental illness I networked with other mentally ill people through some internet mailing lists, and everyone knew someone who either killed themselves or tried to kill themselves with Tylenol. The one woman I still remember managed to kill herself with only 7 Tylenol pills. Those 7 were enough to damage her liver so badly that she died a few months after the overdose from liver failure. The only thing that could have saved her was a liver transplant, which they don't give to people who just tried to kill themselves. Only 7 pills. They tell old people to take more than that a day (8) for arthritis pain, which tells you how borderline dangerous the standard dose is.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my kvetches about work are going to be a tad more vague now. There's a woman who comes in all the time and she feeds the ferals that hang out in Target's parking lot. She'd love to find homes for two of them, they act pretty tame towards her, and I suggested coming onto the forums and seeing if she could maybe network with someone who knows of resources outside our immediate area. If she signs up and if she checks out the lounge and if she finds this thread I really don't want her innocently mentioning a gripe I made because I think she's friends with half the employees at Target.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I checked - the amount per volume. Both have 160mg per 5mL.
Cool. I wonder if the poisonings made them change the measurements. I now remember the details, parents were running out of Children's Tylenol and buying Infant's Tylenol instead. Just vaguely, I want to say there was a local store out of stock, but not sure. Anyway at the time the amount of Tylenol that was in a standard dose of Children's Tylenol, something like a half teaspoon or a full teaspoon, was the same amount that was in just a few drops of Infant's Tylenol. I guess the company's thinking was that getting a single drop or two down a baby was far easier than half a syringe and would therefore lead to more accurate dosages going down the baby's throat. Parents gave the Children's Tylenol's dose size of Infant's Tylenol to older children, and yep, really sick and dead kids.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of you who have read some of my posts know we have a resident poltergeist named Harrigan who is constantly causing problems and getting into mischief. For some true stories of his shenanigans, search TCS for "Harrigan".

He seems to have taken a brief sabbatical, possibly when my husband brought in a huge bowl of sage instead of Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon). That man can't tell a tomato plant from a cabbage, and everything is labeled! The sage sat around and dried but was ultimately thrown out. While it was in the house, peace reigned. Harrigan was probably off ruining someone's vacation.

I have a long-tailed cat ring holder that sits on the breakfast area table where I sit to do my cooking prep. It sits about 8" in from the edge and about 18" from the end of the table. I put my wedding band on it when I'm working with something messy. I took my ring off to moosh the eggs into a meatloaf. Suddenly the cat skittered off the END of the table, where it slid almost to the bay window. The rings flew off and my wedding ring rolled merrily into the den and under the love seat. The kokopelli ring bounced the other way and fetched up against a bookcase on the far wall. Harrigan grinned at my dismay, and watched as we frantically looked for my wedding ring. It rolled about 18 feet and then curved to the left to be hidden under the love seat. Harrigan gave it an extra flick with his finger to add a bit of distance.

We have one of those Bolt laser toys that shoot the red dot all around. The cats love it. We keep it on a shelf the breakfast area. We don't use it often because it has a very difficult switch. It's been sitting idle for a few months. We were fixing dinner when we heard a distinctive noise. Looking around, we saw the red dot zip by, frantically chased by the cats. The Bolt was sitting on the floor, hidden behind a Chewy box, merrily shooting its beam all around the area. Harrigan had gotten bored and turned it on for the cats' pleasure and his own amusement at our discomfiture. We finally traced the red dot back to its source and Robert, after some effort, switched the toy off. The cats sulked while Harrigan smirked.

One of Harrigan's favorite tricks is to steal something, keep it for a while, and then return it to a place it couldn't have possibly been. Every house has a kitchen broom and ours is no different. It's kept alongside the refrigerator. It's been there for years, and its predecessors were kept in the same place. Robert spilled some cat litter and went to get the broom to sweep it up. It wasn't in its place. Harrigan hid behind the wet bar as we began searching. It wasn't in the den or the garage, where Harrigan dumped a large package of finishing nails out of the parts chest. Harrigan watched, grinning, as we looked in the bathrooms, bedrooms, craft room, and even outside. By now Harrigan had a huge, self-satisfied smile. The broom was nowhere to be found. Robert finally used an old push broom he found leaning against the side of the house. It wasn't ours and Harrigan must have put it there to taunt us. It's been over three weeks and that broom is still missing. We bought a new one and it's beside the fridge. We keep checking to make sure it's there. Maybe Harrigan flew off on the old one. Nah, he's still up to mischief and he's not about to leave.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is the name of the plan? Do you have a link? My mom pays $200/month for her supplemental and it doesn't cover much of prescriptions.
Humana (I know, but this is actually a good policy) MAPD (Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug).

It helps immensely to get assistance from an insurance broker during your Medicare Open Enrollment period; you'll have to check when that is for you.
ABSOLUTELY! Have her contact brokers, find out when open enrollment is, and GO WITH ONE OF THE BROKERS WHO WILL COME TO THE HOUSE! I can't tell you how much more I learned when an agent actually sat down with me and went over what different plans did and did not do! Most places just sent information in the mail. I went with one who cared enough to come by. And it is good to know you can call that agent when you have questions later on down the road!

Maybe Harrigan flew off on the old one. Nah, he's still up to mischief and he's not about to leave.
THE RETURN OF HARRIGAN! Oh, I'm so tickled that he is back! I know you aren't thrilled, but I kinda like hearing Harrigan stories!

GOOD GRIEF! I just had to run around closing windows and turning my heat on. It was nice earlier, so I was airing out the house, but I felt chilly, checked the thermostat, and it was 62 degrees in here! That's about 4 degrees below what I can tolerate well. Should be better soon.

Little Bit is almost certainly pregnant. In fact, I'd bet my next Social Security check on it. AND she's been spending several nights a week in the Shelter. I'm hoping this means that she will have her kittens there, and I can socialize the little things and get them into homes. Having them right outside my back door would make it an easy job...or far easier than the last two were!

And speaking of the last two, I forgot to tell you guys that Sprite was spayed on Friday, and came through it like a champ. So I don't have to worry about her anymore. She has a good home, a vet for a "brother," and all is well.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Humana (I know, but this is actually a good policy) MAPD (Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug).

ABSOLUTELY! Have her contact brokers, find out when open enrollment is, and GO WITH ONE OF THE BROKERS WHO WILL COME TO THE HOUSE! I can't tell you how much more I learned when an agent actually sat down with me and went over what different plans did and did not do! Most places just sent information in the mail. I went with one who cared enough to come by. And it is good to know you can call that agent when you have questions later on down the road!

THE RETURN OF HARRIGAN! Oh, I'm so tickled that he is back! I know you aren't thrilled, but I kinda like hearing Harrigan stories!

I should have known Harrigan wasn't through. He has swiped the remote for the air purifier. However, he left my long-missing solar calculator in its place. The last time I saw it, it was upstairs somewhere on my desk. I found it on a shelf in the breakfast area. Where it's been all this time, I have no idea. Maybe Harrigan was using it to calculate more mischief. He's certainly on a roll right now.

GOOD GRIEF! I just had to run around closing windows and turning my heat on. It was nice earlier, so I was airing out the house, but I felt chilly, checked the thermostat, and it was 62 degrees in here! That's about 4 degrees below what I can tolerate well. Should be better soon.

Little Bit is almost certainly pregnant. In fact, I'd bet my next Social Security check on it. AND she's been spending several nights a week in the Shelter. I'm hoping this means that she will have her kittens there, and I can socialize the little things and get them into homes. Having them right outside my back door would make it an easy job...or far easier than the last two were!

And speaking of the last two, I forgot to tell you guys that Sprite was spayed on Friday, and came through it like a champ. So I don't have to worry about her anymore. She has a good home, a vet for a "brother," and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.