The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try and find the original website, but you're right, it could be adobe flash needs to be updated. If so, then the original website would have the same problem.

@tallyollyopia Make sure you don't need any other updates if you update flash. One time I updated flash and Forge of Empires' graphics were fuzzy looking. It turned out I needed to update flash, firefox and my video driver. They were working well together but updating one messed up their synchronization which is why I had fuzzy graphics until I updated everything.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi gang-trying to catch up. Just heard one of my guys here at work had a stroke and has to have heart surgery to fix it. He's younger than me and hired on same day I was. We know each other from welding school. I am in shock. He was out getting back surgery-fusion. I just sent the message to Jon. Jon trained him on many of the things in the QC department. Jon's going to be so upset. I just can't believe it! my coworker has a young son and they have been trying for another baby. I think his son is 4 now? or 5? I loose track-the years go by so fast. I have known my coworker since 2002. I remember when he lost his mother to skin cancer, he was in his 20s, she was 42. That was so hard for him...he's got a dysfunctional family like many of us.

I hope he will be ok-he sent a text to one of the gals here-she came over and showed me the text. I am in shock....
:alright::grouphug::grouphug2::vibes::vibes:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son loves his psych class. Not too thrilled with the arts appreciation class. He had to take that in order to get a degree in science so he can move on to a Bachelors, then Masters and eventually a PHD. He told me they were saying things like "the color used here is saying" or "the curved line shows"... He was laughing saying "maybe the artist just can't draw a straight line or he liked the color". "They are looking way to deep into it".

On the weather side, we are under a winter weather advisory. Expecting up to 6" of snow this weekend, which is good, but there is no way the roads are going to be cleared by Monday morning. I hope they put the college on a 2 hour delay, which they've done before. He's a new driver and I worry about him. Probably more than I should, but he's all I have.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
You may need to update Adobe Flash Player in your browser.

I would never want to work at a place like that. They actually believe that someone who is looking for work should suspend the entire search for their benefit on the off chance that they may want to hire her in two months?! :headshake: :censored: :eek3: I don't think so! Why on earth should you display that kind of loyalty to them when they've made no commitment to hire you?! They certainly wouldn't agree not to interview other job candidates until they've made a decision whether or not to hire you. What's sauce for the goose...

Any company with an attitude of this kind probably thinks that they also have a right to control their employees personal lives.

When I try to insert the link, as a link, it still displays as a video. If I don't tell the site that it's a link, the site still detects that and posts it as a video. So, here it is in plain text. Stick an https colon slash slash www dot in front of it and then copy and paste the entire address into the address field of your browser: facebook.com/1549150108485598/videos/1747973151936625/

You get the address by right-clicking on the video, asking it to display the URL of the video, and then copying and pasting.

@foxxycat, in 2001 my-mother-the-physical-therapist and I went on a long car trip together just after a friend of mine at church, Steve, had a very bad stroke. I was keeping in touch with people in Colorado during the trip so I heard when a doctor informed Steve's wife that there was a chance that Steve would never have meaningful speech again. When I told my mother about it she told me that I had to get in touch with the Steve's wife and tell her not to believe this doctor; it was much too soon for this kind of prognosis, healing continues for months after a stroke. And when I told my Steve's wife this she said "Oh yes. I already knew that the doctor was just covering his a$$. Steve already had meaningful speech. Of course, mostly he was saying :censored:, but it was definitely meaningful."

We're still finding out a lot of things about the brain that we never knew before, including the information that the brain can sometimes heal itself -- regenerate damaged cells (which they used to say was impossible), and that when it can't do things the usual way it can frequently find other ways to accomplish the same thing, routing tasks through different parts of the brain. I'm not saying that a stroke is inconsequential; I'm saying that it's not the end of the world for the patient and his family.

Margret

My late daughter who had a severe heart defect had three different strokes when she was in her early 30s. The first one was very slight and neither one of us knew anything about strokes, I called her cardiologist the next day to inquire about symptoms and was told she most like had had a stroke and if it happened again to take her to the ER immediately or call 911. The second one took her hearing for about a week, it then returned. The third one affected her right side, she had a hard time getting a spoon or fork to her mouth, her hand was waving all over the place. Also her right foot would turn in when she walked. This all went away over the next few weeks although when she was tired her foot would still try to turn inwards. When I inquired, because I had thought whatever went wrong from a stroke was permanent, I was told it depended on the age of the patient and how determined that patient was to get back to normal and that recovery can last as long as a year before the patient has reached a permanent stage. Her heart finally gave out ca. 5 years later when she passed in her sleep. She had outlived all expectations by 36 years. That was almost 13 years go.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My late daughter who had a severe heart defect had three different strokes when she was in her early 30s. The first one was very slight and neither one of us knew anything about strokes, I called her cardiologist the next day to inquire about symptoms and was told she most like had had a stroke and if it happened again to take her to the ER immediately or call 911. The second one took her hearing for about a week, it then returned. The third one affected her right side, she had a hard time getting a spoon or fork to her mouth, her hand was waving all over the place. Also her right foot would turn in when she walked. This all went away over the next few weeks although when she was tired her foot would still try to turn inwards. When I inquired, because I had thought whatever went wrong from a stroke was permanent, I was told it depended on the age of the patient and how determined that patient was to get back to normal and that recovery can last as long as a year before the patient has reached a permanent stage. Her heart finally gave out ca. 5 years later when she passed in her sleep. She had outlived all expectations by 36 years. That was almost 13 years go.
:grouphug::hearthrob::grouphug2::redheartpump:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My son loves his psych class. Not too thrilled with the arts appreciation class. He had to take that in order to get a degree in science so he can move on to a Bachelors, then Masters and eventually a PHD. He told me they were saying things like "the color used here is saying" or "the curved line shows"... He was laughing saying "maybe the artist just can't draw a straight line or he liked the color". "They are looking way to deep into it".

On the weather side, we are under a winter weather advisory. Expecting up to 6" of snow this weekend, which is good, but there is no way the roads are going to be cleared by Monday morning. I hope they put the college on a 2 hour delay, which they've done before. He's a new driver and I worry about him. Probably more than I should, but he's all I have.
Your son is too young to understand art and more or less making fun of the class also shows he's pretty immature. There is more to art than pretty paint on a picture. The artist puts his/her feelings into the art and since your son likes his psychology class he should be able to apply what he learns there to the art appreciation class to understand the point of the class. Hopefully he will grow up and out of this stage where he laughs at things he does not understand. Most kids do.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 With the tubing I would suggest first aid tape if you have it, it's more likely to be a bit more non-toxic than electrical tape.

If you have health insurance, talk to them about funding replacement parts. I know that most insurances cover breast pumps, so it seems likely they'd also cover what is needed to keep them functional.

@tallyollyopia Awesome about the help!

I doubt I can find the actual link now, but I'll look. Basically there was a hamster crawling all over a cat and the cat was rubbing all over the hamster.

---

I never heard back from the job. :(

The eczema is starting to flare up with a vengeance, so I really should talk to my doctor. My arthritis hurts a lot, so I should seriously think about talking to the ortho doctor about those shots she said we could do if I did develop arthritis.

And nothing like seeing the psych doctor for a "yeah, I'm fine, I just need refills" appointment and him deciding to change around all my medication. I can see why, it's affecting my heart's electrical rhythms and it'd suck if my heart simply decided to stop one day. It's still annoying and scary. If my delusions are part of the mood disorder I'll be okay with the new combo, if they are separate I'm not going to do well with the new combo.
Hi gang-trying to catch up. Just heard one of my guys here at work had a stroke and has to have heart surgery to fix it. He's younger than me and hired on same day I was. We know each other from welding school. I am in shock. He was out getting back surgery-fusion. I just sent the message to Jon. Jon trained him on many of the things in the QC department. Jon's going to be so upset. I just can't believe it! my coworker has a young son and they have been trying for another baby. I think his son is 4 now? or 5? I loose track-the years go by so fast. I have known my coworker since 2002. I remember when he lost his mother to skin cancer, he was in his 20s, she was 42. That was so hard for him...he's got a dysfunctional family like many of us.

I hope he will be ok-he sent a text to one of the gals here-she came over and showed me the text. I am in shock....

We already ordered the replacement part, but if I need another, I'll check into insurance. The milk doesn't go through the tubes - they just send the suction to the part that connects to me.

It's scary when young people have strokes and heart attacks since those are usually assumed to be problems that come with age. Years ago, my mom had a friend who had a heart attack when he was in his 30's. Fanning services refused to give him any kind of help even though he wasn't allowed to work for a while. They said 30 is too young to have a heart attack. The medical records did nothing to convince them. They've reformed things a bit since then, but they also wouldn't help us when my mom went back to school full time to get her LPN. She had 2 children - DD didn't exist yet - and was working weekends as an aide at a nursing home, but somehow she made too much money to qualify. We survived on what we stored from our vegetable garden, donated deer meat, and help from my grandparents who were living on social security and whatever my grandpa made mowing lawns and whatnot. Retirement bored him.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the receipt and talk to your insurance company about reimbursement.

I read an article about a woman who had a heart attack at the age of 27 while pregnant. She remembered hearing the EMT radio in giving gender and age and likely diagnosis, and she heard through the radio the hospital saying "Do you mean age 72 instead?"

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else have nuclear war on the brain? I feel like it's constantly in the back of my mind, and I can't dislodge it. This is *definitely* not helping my depression, and it's seriously starting to feel like I'm just going through the motions with everything to no purpose.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your son is too young to understand art and more or less making fun of the class also shows he's pretty immature. There is more to art than pretty paint on a picture. The artist puts his/her feelings into the art and since your son likes his psychology class he should be able to apply what he learns there to the art appreciation class to understand the point of the class. Hopefully he will grow up and out of this stage where he laughs at things he does not understand. Most kids do.
Wow. I don't happen to like or care to express a deep understanding of art either. Does that make me an immature kid? Not everyone cares about art.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk doesn't go through the tubes - they just send the suction to the part that connects to me.
In that case, use packing tape to repair the tube, not electrical tape. Electrical tape is really pretty useless for repairs; the adhesive isn't very good.

Anyone else have nuclear war on the brain? I feel like it's constantly in the back of my mind, and I can't dislodge it. This is *definitely* not helping my depression, and it's seriously starting to feel like I'm just going through the motions with everything to no purpose.
I hear you there! I'm old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis, and the emphasis on knowing where your closest bomb shelter is, and here we are with a president who's trying to play chicken with a maniac who just got the bomb. It's scary as all get out.

Margret

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case, use packing tape to repair the tube, not electrical tape. Electrical tape is really pretty useless for repairs; the adhesive isn't very good.

I hear you there! I'm old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis, and the emphasis on knowing where your closest bomb shelter is, and here we are with a president who's trying to play chicken with a maniac who just got the bomb. It's scary as all get out.

Margret
I just can't shake this awful feeling that 2018 is going to be catastrophic.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I interviewed at one place who told me, point blank, that if they learned I was interviewing with anyone else I wouldn't be hired by their company.
And I'd have been sorely tempted to say, "You aren't looking at other candidates while you are deciding about me, are you? If you are, I won't work for your company." Of course, that would insure that I didn't get the job, but then, I wouldn't want it.

He told me they were saying things like "the color used here is saying" or "the curved line shows"... He was laughing saying "maybe the artist just can't draw a straight line or he liked the color". "They are looking way to deep into it".
SIGH...ok, so maybe he was making fun a bit, but he may also be at least partially right, as well. Well, probably not about the artist not being able to draw a straight line. However, I've sat through my share of art appreciation classes, and sometimes I agree with him. Some professors are way, way too involved with their own lofty hypotheses, and not nearly so in touch with the fact that sometimes art is for pure joy.

I ordered Hekitty's birthday presents today. Big sisal balls filled with jingly things, and feathers all over. Now, her birthday isn't until April (April 1st, she's an April Fool kitty), but one doesn't want to leave things like that to chance!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'd have been sorely tempted to say, "You aren't looking at other candidates while you are deciding about me, are you? If you are, I won't work for your company." Of course, that would insure that I didn't get the job, but then, I wouldn't want it.

SIGH...ok, so maybe he was making fun a bit, but he may also be at least partially right, as well. Well, probably not about the artist not being able to draw a straight line. However, I've sat through my share of art appreciation classes, and sometimes I agree with him. Some professors are way, way too involved with their own lofty hypotheses, and not nearly so in touch with the fact that sometimes art is for pure joy.

I ordered Hekitty's birthday presents today. Big sisal balls filled with jingly things, and feathers all over. Now, her birthday isn't until April (April 1st, she's an April Fool kitty), but one doesn't want to leave things like that to chance!
Is Hekitty getting catnip as well?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're barely interested in him. They kinda sniff at him occasionally. Murphy still won't snuggle me. I miss his snuggles! I did get a nuzzle yesterday, though. Marcy, Connor, and Mickey still come up for pets but they haven't really snuggled. Maybe they're just respecting Aedan's space, which seems very uncatlike.

Status
Not open for further replies.