The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Another beautiful sunny day even if I don't feel like it..but I love hearing from all the others here...I wish I didn't suffer with seasonal disorder so I can enjoy the winter...I need to oh go somewhere warm for a bit...I really never liked summer- I overheat...but you know in the summer I don't have to worry about freezing pipes or heating fuel or any other winter stuff... but the winter keeps the bugs away. I like it cool...but this 0 degree weather can be gone now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still no response from either company :gaah: At what point do I just give up on contacting them for any updates on the hiring process and just assume the position has been offered to someone else? Should I call the first company one more time and directly speak to a secretary, not that a secretary would know anything about the hiring but could pass along a message to the manager or someone in that department?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you already know this, but it sounds like you need a reminder: Feeling like a jerk is okay as long as you're not acting like a jerk, and in fact you are doing the exact opposite of acting like a jerk. I know; it's extremely annoying that we can't properly explain our behavior to the cats we care for, but there's no way around that, so we just have to do our best for them and then let it go.
:alright: Don't feel bad, at least you had advance notice. Sprite will be OK for one day.:heartshape:
My gut feeling is that Sprite will be ok.. she may be hanging around for a bit, looking for the entrance and for you.. but she will be ok. I worry about her also.. remember Mama is still around, watching our for her baby.. she will not allow anything to happen to her.
Thank you all. Well, I dragged out of bed at 8:30 this morning (you all know how I am...go to bed at 4 am, get up between 11 am and nood), got dressed, and headed out to kick poor Sprite out into the snow. SHE WASN'T IN THERE! She was last night, but...I looked around, and saw a set of large cat footprints coming to the porch, and two sets, one large, one very small, headed away. Little Bit came for her, and they were off doing cat things. The sun was shining, and although it was chilly, there was no wind. Closed off the shelter with a clear conscience. Found out three hours later that the inspection has been rescheduled due to weather. OH SPIT! Well, next week is supposed to be clear and a bit warmer, so that is to the good!

I would just love to see Sprite in a home.. indoors, always... safe and warm..
That's is my hope and my prayer. She's almost there. And I'm now wearing an old tee shirt that is a bit small, but I'll manage for a day or two, get my smell well on it, and add that to the shelter's bedding.

Should I call the first company one more time and directly speak to a secretary, not that a secretary would know anything about the hiring but could pass along a message to the manager or someone in that department?
LOL, I certainly would! I called one company twice a week for MONTHS! They hired me, and I was with them for 8 years, until my ex's job took us out of the state. The HR manager eventually admitted that they hired me to shut me up. Actually, he said, "You were qualified, and CERTAINLY determined!"

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. Well, I dragged out of bed at 8:30 this morning (you all know how I am...go to bed at 4 am, get up between 11 am and nood), got dressed, and headed out to kick poor Sprite out into the snow. SHE WASN'T IN THERE! She was last night, but...I looked around, and saw a set of large cat footprints coming to the porch, and two sets, one large, one very small, headed away. Little Bit came for her, and they were off doing cat things. The sun was shining, and although it was chilly, there was no wind. Closed off the shelter with a clear conscience. Found out three hours later that the inspection has been rescheduled due to weather. OH SPIT! Well, next week is supposed to be clear and a bit warmer, so that is to the good!
I'm sorry you had to get up early, but this actually means two very good things:
  1. The inspector won't come any time the weather is bad enough for Sprite to actually need the shelter, so when it does happen the chances are extremely good that Sprite will never even know she's been locked out for a few hours.
  2. By the time the inspector comes chances are that Sprite will already be past the point where you're trying to win back her trust.

LOL, I certainly would! I called one company twice a week for MONTHS! They hired me, and I was with them for 8 years, until my ex's job took us out of the state. The HR manager eventually admitted that they hired me to shut me up. Actually, he said, "You were qualified, and CERTAINLY determined!"
Thank you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . This is the point I wanted to make, but didn't quite know how; for some companies this is the final test administered to potential employees - finding out whether they want the job badly enough to keep after it.

I know for certain that books about job-hunting used to include the information that after you've interviewed you still have to keep after the company; that doing so actually makes a good impression on potential employers.

Should you keep interviewing elsewhere, LTS3 LTS3 ? Certainly; you may find something better. But you should also keep after the companies you've already interviewed with. I suspect this is even more important for women than for men, since women always have to fight against the sneaking suspicion that women aren't really serious about having a career.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get daily emails from Indeed.com with positions that match the keywords I set. There are some positions out there but at companies that don't pay very well and don't have good benefits :ohwell: No one in my network knows of any current positions that matches my skills :sigh: I'll give the first company a call tomorrow as soon as they open, around 9-ish. My email does work. I set up a new account just for job hunting and I have been able to use it just fine to communicate with the manager on scheduling the interviews. I don't have any email addresses in the blocked list.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor and Murphy are in the doghouse right now. I was using the breast pump - I wanna have some milk stored away so we can maybe have a night out or be prepared for some kind of emergency requiring a babysitter. Connor and Murphy come to sniff at it. Ok, they're curious. Then they both bite down on one of the tubes, putting a couple holes in it.
The tubing is replaceable, but I'll probably have to order it online. In the meantime, we're gonna try electrical tape for a fix. And I guess I'll have to shut myself up in the bedroom to pump from now on. It didn't even cross my mind that they would bite it. Little brats.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't watch the video--just shows a blank space.

Sitting here laying on the couch, feeling cruddy since i have eaten 3 times since New Years, without getting VERY ILL! MAX laying in the back of the sofa snoring with his paw on my shoulder........so adorable, till he fell off the back of the couch!!!!!! From adorable to ROFLMAO!!!! He was so shocked and I was no help, it was not his BEST MOVE!! YOU GOT TO LOVE EM......
:alright: Hope you feel better soon!

Okay, so I have a job interview tomorrow and I'm panicking.

Which shoes, the lower heel ones with the tiny silver buckles or the higher heel ones with the tiny bowties? Both are black, I don't own gray shoes. Can I wear black shoes with a gray outfit?

Which shirt, the white one with black polka dots, the light brown silk shirt, the sapphire blue, the emerald green, or the red? All are button down shirts, all but the blue are full sleeve, the blue is 3/4 sleeve but you can't see that under a jacket.

Gray or black? If gray, the softer gray look or the gray look that has a bit of texture? Which gray jacket would go with with gray bottom?

Slacks or skirt? Knee length skirt or floor length skirt? Can a pinstripe black jacket go with a pinstripe black skirt if the stripes are different lengths apart, or should one be solid if the other is pinstripe? Can I wear a skirt if I despise pantyhose and therefore don't own any?

Why is just getting dressed almost as hard as constructing my resume was? :help:
I haven't been on in a few days; how did it go?

Leroy's dental issue is a non-issue at the moment. Vet is more concerned with Leroy's weight loss since September (a whole pound) and his recent frequent vomiting of clear liquid and lip smacking at liquid / stuff he "burps" up but doesn't spit out. Vet got blood for a general CBC, T4, and B12. We may need to an ultrasound based on the bloodwork results. I have liquid Pepcid to give Leroy to see if that helps settle his tummy.

What does it take to get a response from companies you interview at? I'm still waiting about the position I did two interviews with and sent 2 follow up emails and left a voicemal message. I haven't heard back from the other position I did a phone interview with just before the holidays and I sent a follow up email last week. It's frustrating :frustrated: Even if the answer is a no I'd still like to get a response.
I interviewed at one place who told me, point blank, that if they learned I was interviewing with anyone else I wouldn't be hired by their company. I asked them how they would contact me to let me know if I was hired and they said I would know if I didn't get a response within six to eight weeks. (I applied other places before the period was up--I was looking for a job, not a doctor's appointment!)

:flail:

In November I was told by my ophthamologist that I can no longer drive. I've had glaucoma for many years and I don't have vision in my left eye except for light. It's advanced to me losing peripheral vision on the left of my right eye. As some of you know, I had a stent implant in my right eye in August. The stent doesn't correct my vision. Loss from glaucoma can't be restored, the stent is to stop the high pressure and prevent any more vision loss. I've had exams every 1 - 2 weeks and the stent is doing the job well.
As you can imagine, this came as a shock. So for the past two months I've been signing up for discounted transportation that's available for seniors and people with disabilties. I've already started using the Senior Cab program and waiting to hear if I'm approved for the other program. My boyfriend is a gem. He's been taking me to all those appointments. I feel bad that at times he has to wait a long time for me ( you know how those doctors are! ). I'll use the cab service now for those long appointments. I am grateful for the stent implant, that such a thing exists to help me and so many others.

Does anyone have any experience of their own or someone they know that has health problems that prevents them from driving? I'd like to hear how you/they deal with it.

:please:............:anticipation:
A lot of people in my area get ride share apps (like Uber, for example) because it's cheaper than a taxi (which charges for every seventh of a mile, double for red light stops, and double for store stops--they're a bit of a racket down here). You might look into something like that, if you have a smartphone.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 With the tubing I would suggest first aid tape if you have it, it's more likely to be a bit more non-toxic than electrical tape.

If you have health insurance, talk to them about funding replacement parts. I know that most insurances cover breast pumps, so it seems likely they'd also cover what is needed to keep them functional.

tallyollyopia tallyollyopia Awesome about the help!

I doubt I can find the actual link now, but I'll look. Basically there was a hamster crawling all over a cat and the cat was rubbing all over the hamster.

---

I never heard back from the job. :(

The eczema is starting to flare up with a vengeance, so I really should talk to my doctor. My arthritis hurts a lot, so I should seriously think about talking to the ortho doctor about those shots she said we could do if I did develop arthritis.

And nothing like seeing the psych doctor for a "yeah, I'm fine, I just need refills" appointment and him deciding to change around all my medication. I can see why, it's affecting my heart's electrical rhythms and it'd suck if my heart simply decided to stop one day. It's still annoying and scary. If my delusions are part of the mood disorder I'll be okay with the new combo, if they are separate I'm not going to do well with the new combo.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching an episode of How the Universe Works, a pretty new one that is discussing binary systems. One of the astronomers that's always on the show said that when she saw the Star Wars Episode IV, the scene where Luke is looking at the twin sunsets, and she knew then that she wanted to be an astronomer when she grew up.

I can just imagine her parents telling a 7 year old girl that she'll make a good astronomer and maybe she can find a planet like that, but knowing the chances of that happening were slim to none. After all, little kids change their minds constantly about what they want to be when they grow up, and 1970s scientific knowledge. And now 40 years later she's talking about the latest findings of the Kepler space telescope at the family dinners, just as she said she would.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi gang-trying to catch up. Just heard one of my guys here at work had a stroke and has to have heart surgery to fix it. He's younger than me and hired on same day I was. We know each other from welding school. I am in shock. He was out getting back surgery-fusion. I just sent the message to Jon. Jon trained him on many of the things in the QC department. Jon's going to be so upset. I just can't believe it! my coworker has a young son and they have been trying for another baby. I think his son is 4 now? or 5? I loose track-the years go by so fast. I have known my coworker since 2002. I remember when he lost his mother to skin cancer, he was in his 20s, she was 42. That was so hard for him...he's got a dysfunctional family like many of us.

I hope he will be ok-he sent a text to one of the gals here-she came over and showed me the text. I am in shock....

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hope your coworker will be okay. The biggie is recovering from the stroke. I hope the clot wasn't in a bad spot and he has minimal lingering problems. If heart surgery is needed for a brain clot my guess is it's a stent and that's a pretty common and safe procedure.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't watch the video--just shows a blank space.
You may need to update Adobe Flash Player in your browser.

I interviewed at one place who told me, point blank, that if they learned I was interviewing with anyone else I wouldn't be hired by their company. I asked them how they would contact me to let me know if I was hired and they said I would know if I didn't get a response within six to eight weeks. (I applied other places before the period was up--I was looking for a job, not a doctor's appointment!)
I would never want to work at a place like that. They actually believe that someone who is looking for work should suspend the entire search for their benefit on the off chance that they may want to hire her in two months?! :headshake: :censored: :eek3: I don't think so! Why on earth should you display that kind of loyalty to them when they've made no commitment to hire you?! They certainly wouldn't agree not to interview other job candidates until they've made a decision whether or not to hire you. What's sauce for the goose...

Any company with an attitude of this kind probably thinks that they also have a right to control their employees personal lives.

I doubt I can find the actual link now, but I'll look. Basically there was a hamster crawling all over a cat and the cat was rubbing all over the hamster.
When I try to insert the link, as a link, it still displays as a video. If I don't tell the site that it's a link, the site still detects that and posts it as a video. So, here it is in plain text. Stick an https colon slash slash www dot in front of it and then copy and paste the entire address into the address field of your browser: facebook.com/1549150108485598/videos/1747973151936625/

You get the address by right-clicking on the video, asking it to display the URL of the video, and then copying and pasting.

foxxycat foxxycat , in 2001 my-mother-the-physical-therapist and I went on a long car trip together just after a friend of mine at church, Steve, had a very bad stroke. I was keeping in touch with people in Colorado during the trip so I heard when a doctor informed Steve's wife that there was a chance that Steve would never have meaningful speech again. When I told my mother about it she told me that I had to get in touch with the Steve's wife and tell her not to believe this doctor; it was much too soon for this kind of prognosis, healing continues for months after a stroke. And when I told my Steve's wife this she said "Oh yes. I already knew that the doctor was just covering his a$$. Steve already had meaningful speech. Of course, mostly he was saying :censored:, but it was definitely meaningful."

We're still finding out a lot of things about the brain that we never knew before, including the information that the brain can sometimes heal itself -- regenerate damaged cells (which they used to say was impossible), and that when it can't do things the usual way it can frequently find other ways to accomplish the same thing, routing tasks through different parts of the brain. I'm not saying that a stroke is inconsequential; I'm saying that it's not the end of the world for the patient and his family.

Margret

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.