The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really dislike the toxicity of my countries political environment. The right HATES the left and vice versa. I am so upset with were we are right now as a nation,I can't even listen to the news anymore. Coexist just doesn't seem to apply anymore.
I know. I feel ill just thinking about it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make certain that Bluetooth is enabled for both phones first. You should find it in Settings, near the Airplane mode and Wifi settings. It can be very easy to miss this, and it may take some work to make the two phones "discover" each other.

Margret

Tried that several times. Both phones on Bluetooth. Old phone doesn't recognize any nearby Bluetooth devices :dunno:I just Googled - my old phone (HTC One X) doesn't have a SD slot:frustrated: Right now I have the old phone connected to the computer and looking through Windows Explorer to see if I can just copy the pictures and videos onto a USB drive and then move it to my new phone when I connect that.

Edit - Got all the pictures and videos off the old phone:clap2:. The sync program for the phone on my computer is sort of working (about time) so I was able to use that.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have an experience with adolescent puppies? I'm currently having a hard time with my girl. She's always trying to show herself as the dominant one. She's beginning to lash out and get nasty with me. Biting and drawing blood. This has always been a problem with her since she was a few weeks old. She always wants to be in charge and always wants to make choices for herself. I've made sure that I'm always on top of her training and she was doing well up until a few weeks ago. She gets aggressive almost every time she doesn't get her way. She'll show her teeth, growl, and grab at my fingers or clothes. She's approaching 11 months of age now and I wonder if it's just a growing thing or not. I also thought that maybe it had to do with the fact that I'm not home as much anymore because of school. My cousin has 2 other dogs and a cat. She offered to petsit when I don't have time for her and I took her up on the offer. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate some. Daisy is a very sweet dog otherwise, but when it comes to food and toys, she has issues.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have an experience with adolescent puppies? I'm currently having a hard time with my girl. She's always trying to show herself as the dominant one. She's beginning to lash out and get nasty with me. Biting and drawing blood. This has always been a problem with her since she was a few weeks old. She always wants to be in charge and always wants to make choices for herself. I've made sure that I'm always on top of her training and she was doing well up until a few weeks ago. She gets aggressive almost every time she doesn't get her way. She'll show her teeth, growl, and grab at my fingers or clothes. She's approaching 11 months of age now and I wonder if it's just a growing thing or not. I also thought that maybe it had to do with the fact that I'm not home as much anymore because of school. My cousin has 2 other dogs and a cat. She offered to petsit when I don't have time for her and I took her up on the offer. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate some. Daisy is a very sweet dog otherwise, but when it comes to food and toys, she has issues.
I have some experience with puppies but not with them showing aggression like that. I think W Willowy has experience with training difficult puppies. I tagged her in the post here. Best of luck with your puppy. I do think you will want to see for yourself how your cousin and Daisy get along before she commits to petsitting. I am wondering is Daisy a small dog or a larger one?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, until she died a couple of years ago my mother was the one I always called if I was uncertain about medical things. Fortunately, she taught me well. I never accept the word of medical personnel unquestioningly; I research things for myself and I stand up for myself. It's an absolutely essential skill; it was drugs that were prescribed for Roger that caused his Stage 5 kidney failure; on the first one I actually asked the doctor how it worked and suggested that the other possible drug would be more appropriate because of potential kidney problems, and the doctor made up a false reason why Roger must continue with the drug he'd prescribed (and it was before the internet, which made searching hard, so I foolishly backed down -- and I'm ashamed that I didn't call my mother about that one) and the second was during my lost decade so I was less, umm, available to defend Roger.

Margret
:alright::grouphug:

I was talking with AWM (who has more experience with dogs than I do) and she had two questions: What breed (or breeds, if it's a mutt) is the dog, and are there small children in the home?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some experience with puppies but not with them showing aggression like that. I think W Willowy has experience with training difficult puppies. I tagged her in the post here. Best of luck with your puppy. I do think you will want to see for yourself how your cousin and Daisy get along before she commits to petsitting. I am wondering is Daisy a small dog or a larger one?
Aw thanks but not really. I mean, I have a difficult dog but I live in the country so she never sees anyone else and she's never been difficult to me.

What breed/mix is Daisy? Some breeds, like German Shepherds and Malinois, are supposed to be bitey, that's what the professionals are looking for, but that does make it a bit rough for the average dog owner.

I think you should probably consult a professional trainer, one who has experience with the breed/mix. Once a dog is past puppy nipping and is biting aggressively I don't really feel qualified to give any advice other than to consult with a professional (and if you feel uncomfortable with one trainer, trust your instincts and find another. Some trainers aren't great, unfortunately).

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually never had my dogs ever be aggressive towards me like that. I've seen them them be guardlike towards people they didn't know. I've seen them be aggressive towards other animals and also food with one but never towards me directly. Agreed with Willowy.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit - Got all the pictures and videos off the old phone:clap2:. The sync program for the phone on my computer is sort of working (about time) so I was able to use that.
:bunnydance: I was on the verge of suggesting a flash drive with a micro USB connector at one end and a standard USB connector at the other.

I also agree with W Willowy . Though I do have one question; could she be in heat?

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, Onsa is so cute. We finally got our first snow today. Onsa was on a short cabinet that is below a window. She was running from side to side squeaking her head off. I went over to see what was wrong. She ran to me, squeaked and ran to the window. I could almost understand her, "Mommy, there is something wrong with the sky". Kittens first snow is so fun to watch.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy is a Shih Tzu Maltese mix. She does have an eating disorder so I wonder if it has to do with anything. She hates when things get taken away from her. She has met my cousin before and her family and her animals. She's known my cousin since she was very little so I trust her since she loves animals. Daisy actually just ate a button. I have no idea where she got it from and we always make sure the floor is clean but one of us must have missed it.

I do have another possibility but I doubt anyone would believe me. This actually all started when my dad went away for a month on a business trip. We usually have ghost bother us when he's away. One of them actually possessed her or so we thought. I know it sounds crazy but... She just hasn't been the same since. That night, when it happened, she went out for one last pee and when she came back inside, she wouldn't let anyone touch her. She just wasn't normal. She kept trying to bite me and she kept staring at me. It made no sense. She also barks at things when there isn't anything there. It puts her on edge. I really don't know what else it could be. Sounds absurd but...

*No, Daisy already had her first heat in November. It ended already and we've been watching her closely because of the risk of pyrometra. Everything seems fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy is a Shih Tzu Maltese mix. She does have an eating disorder so I wonder if it has to do with anything. She hates when things get taken away from her. She has met my cousin before and her family and her animals. She's known my cousin since she was very little so I trust her since she loves animals. Daisy actually just ate a button. I have no idea where she got it from and we always make sure the floor is clean but one of us must have missed it.

I do have another possibility but I doubt anyone would believe me. This actually all started when my dad went away for a month on a business trip. We usually have ghost bother us when he's away. One of them actually possessed her or so we thought. I know it sounds crazy but... She just hasn't been the same since. That night, when it happened, she went out for one last pee and when she came back inside, she wouldn't let anyone touch her. She just wasn't normal. She kept trying to bite me and she kept staring at me. It made no sense. She also barks at things when there isn't anything there. It puts her on edge. I really don't know what else it could be. Sounds absurd but...

*No, Daisy already had her first heat in November. It ended already and we've been watching her closely because of the risk of pyrometra. Everything seems fine.
I think you should probably consult a vet.

This kind of behavior is extremely dangerous and can indicate a lot of different problems developing dogs can get as they mature. If all is right health wise, spay her asap. That should help. After that go to dog training classes or consult a dog behaviorist. This is not normal behavior and is likely to get worse not better as she ages.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should probably consult a vet.

This kind of behavior is extremely dangerous and can indicate a lot of different problems developing dogs can get as they mature. If all is right health wise, spay her asap. That should help. After that go to dog training classes or consult a dog behaviorist. This is not normal behavior and is likely to get worse not better as she ages.
I will take her to a vet but I don't plan on spaying her until she's had a few heat cycles. My family and I both agreed that we'd wait until she is fully grown before spaying.

Thanks everyone for the help.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, Onsa is so cute. We finally got our first snow today. Onsa was on a short cabinet that is below a window. She was running from side to side squeaking her head off. I went over to see what was wrong. She ran to me, squeaked and ran to the window. I could almost understand her, "Mommy, there is something wrong with the sky". Kittens first snow is so fun to watch.
It wasn't the first time they saw snow, but it was the first time they were out in it. Ra jumped up to catch a snowflake--super high! He was motivated! Spot felt the snow on his fur and ran back in determined to get out of the funky white stuff. Asia and Princess felt the air outside--and went back in to go to sleep. :lol:

This may sound like a stupid question, but it does have a purpose: when she goes out to pee, does she go by herself, or is she watched the whole time? She might have gotten hurt, and it might be getting hurt. Another question (and this one is a little scary, but it has to be asked): has she had her rabies shot?

Ready for the cutest picture ever?
View attachment 215258

Ignore the plastic bags. Just finished putting groceries away.
AW!! :heartshape: (I wouldn't have noticed the plastic bags if you hadn't mentioned them.)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:celebrate: :bunnydance: :dance: :jump: It's snowing! It looks like we currently have maybe two inches and it's still coming down steadily, those itty-bitty flakes that clouds make when they're really serious about snow. I had been planning to visit Home Depot today, but it's not urgent; I think I'll stay home with a warm kitty instead. Not that I'd be in any danger if I went, just that it isn't worth the bother.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.